Please READ the post.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
steve70

Please READ the post.

Postby steve70 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:14 am

I know I haven't been here long but I've posted a couple of threads recently asking questions and it seems people don't actually read what is posted!

Please read what is posted and not what you think is posted....

Thank you

GWR_fan

Re: Please READ the post.

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:35 am

Honestly, with a post like that it is possible you may not get many more responses to your threads. More like looking a gift horse in the mouth. If someone takes the time to respond to one of your threads then it is likely it may not be the exact answer that you sought. This forum has an immense resource base in its forum members so responses may be very diverse and maybe not strictly on topic. Perhaps also you may need to be clearer in the information that you seek.

Members are not beholden to answer your requests, so perhaps a little less antagonism may go a long way to getting the answers that you seek. Maybe the BR blue forum may be more helpful to your needs.

Perhaps this is one thread to which you refer. At no point do you credit any respondent for taking the time to give you information. It may not be immediately helpful to you, but those that responded have a lot of experience with electronics and perhaps a little courtesy may encourage them to respond to other requests that you may have.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49423&p=606811#p606811

steve70

Postby steve70 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:56 am

And if you look at my other topics I have 'thanked' people for their advice. Maybe not individually but I thanked them.

I've seen this in other forums where people just post what they think is being asked and not actually reading the post and you picked out the example.
If people aren't going to respond to me after this then that's their problem...I can move on, I'm just trying to point something out.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:19 am

steve70 wrote:...............If people aren't going to respond to me after this then that's their problem...I can move on, I'm just trying to point something out.

I think that you will find that is actually YOUR problem if members do not respond to your requests. You may not realise but they are doing you a favour in responding, whether you like their answer or not. Quite often in threads members are answering other topics that arise in the same thread.

You joined the site over three years ago and have not posted much so possibly you spend most of your time on other forums.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:43 am

Well I've read this one and won't bother any more thanks to your arrogance.
Pete.

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:12 am

Whilst I have some sympathy with the OP's point I think he needs to realise that often a straight uncomplicated answer is not always possible, or desirable... It's worth bearing in mind that there is usually more than one solution to questions raised by posters, some of which may be better than the one proposed initially and on which the query is based. Also it is often useful to have more background information so that others can consider and learn from someone else's greater knowledge, that link above is a classic example.

If it was Thread Drift that you were complaining about, Steve, then I could understand it, but the answers given in that thread gave both the answer you required and a lot more info about considering alternatives which were much more useful than what you seem to want from people who reply to you.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:27 am

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!”
He took his vorpal sword in hand;
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree
And stood awhile in thought.
And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!
One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.
“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
He chortled in his joy.
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Lewis Carroll
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:54 am

I love that poem Stu :mrgreen:

steve70 wrote:I've seen this in other forums where people just post what they think is being asked and not actually reading the post and you picked out the example.

It happens on all forums. It happens on Facebook. It happens in real life, at work, in shops and in the street. It's all part of the limitless capacity for human misunderstanding and the tendency of folk to show what they know. A Gallic shrug may help, or perhaps a gentle reminder in the thread in question rather than a terse directive issued to the entire forum.

Enjoy yourself on Blue, you may fit in; personally I found it was very much a place where people asked various questions, but only in the expectation of getting answers they liked...
Last edited by Pennine MC on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whynot

Postby whynot » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:59 am

OK, so I've read it. Now what's the question?
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:04 pm

whynot wrote:OK, so I've read it. Now what's the question?

I have to say Steve that Whynots posting was my immediate thought, too.

We are, generally, a good natured bunch of souls on here but posts like the original, whilst it may not have been the your intention, can be counter-productive.

Be patient. If you feel you have not got the answer that you hoped for, just ask it again, explaining why. Believe me, this is the friendliest and most tolerant model railway forum by a long chalk. But it can get strained...

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

senorsenales

Postby senorsenales » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:40 pm

It applies in real life steve70.

I have just run our club show and was being asked questions by people who had the answers in the bit of paper they were holding. Too much effort to read it, or trying to read something into something that wasn't there is the first place.

You get over it, I have had nothing but help whenever I have asked the question on here, I too have wandered off the subject in hand because there may an alternative to what was being asked. I also notice I seem to be able kill off some threads but having the last word. It's just a gift I suppose !

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:03 pm

I find this a very helpful and friendly site, and would be most embarrassed if I posted (not that I do much) anything that seemed unhelpful or antagonistic. It seems that you can ask anything within reason here, and that there is usually a friendly reply from someone.
I recently joined the Arduino site, and having read the posting requirements there (all sensible points I must add) I have yet to drum up the nerves to post anything ! :0)

brit-in-bama

Postby brit-in-bama » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:23 pm

I really dont see a problem, this is a "soft"-site, most here are friendly and supportive, answers are given to the best of their knowledge, the value of a thread is not by how many respond or post, but by how many views it has, I, like a great deal more here dont really have much to contribute, but I do read most of the threads, this is not a chat-room, so if you want a repart'e - that isnt what members do here, I learn by watching lots of sites, but I learn more here, because it is friendly, and people are not "experts", they are people, and show mistakes, as well as successes, and your thread has almost 10k views, people dont go to threads they dont want to see the progress on, one site I used to frequent I stopped going to because a lot of members stopped posting pictures, and instead put a link to a "blog" which is another thing to clutter up my pc, so I simply dont click on blogs anymore, I wish you well, and hope you find the responces you want elsewhere.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:52 pm

I have to thank ANY of you guys who put up with me on here, cos I have a habit of going on tangents, not always being clear or just daft.
Never had a prob & mentioning the BlueForum, thanks for all the helpful info from those of you like me who are members on both when it went Tonto the other day.
Im not going to say anything about the OP, other than its a pity someone could be like that.

steve70

Postby steve70 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:52 pm

Hey...It was never my intention to p*** anyone off. :/ Sorry
I'll keep my mouth shut in future and bite my tongue.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”