Peco Track

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
IAN1955

Peco Track

Postby IAN1955 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:41 pm

Hello, I joined a few weeks ago and asked for advice to which many people gave me great advice, one of the questions was about types of track, PECO or Hornby to which I started down the PECO route, I am emigrating in May and trying to get all my bits and bobs together before I go.
I am having difficulty obtaining used PECO track as a job lot, does anyone know where I can get this from or should I sell what I have now and get Hornby which looks to be plentiful.
Thanks
Ian

End2end

Re: Peco Track

Postby End2end » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:55 pm

You do not say where you are located IAN1955.
For used items at good prices (ebay being a bloody rip off), In the S.E. of uk I often visit train and toy fairs.
Over the last 2 years I have visited many organised by SRP toy fairs (No affiliation)
http://www.srptoyfairs1.co.uk/

From thier website -
"On the website there are two pages, Home (the page you are on now) and Toy Fairs. On the Toy fairs page is a calender of all Toy fairs coming up throughout the year. Where you see the Toy Fair name that is clickable, click on it and it will load a new page with all the details for that toyfair, including, Time, Date, Address, Location etc. The calender will show the upcoming Toy Fairs for the current month, to see the next month’s Toy fairs use the “Next” button at the bottom of the page, you can get back to where you were either by using the “Previous” button at the bottom of the page or your browsers “back” button."

The dates for 2016 are already on the site.
As can be seen on the site they only cover the South East including London, Essex, Kent, Surrey and East and West Sussex.
They are not usally massive fairs but plenty to look at / buy and only £2 for entry.

If you are further afield perhaps there are fairs closer to you?
Hope it helps
Thanks
End2end (Using 100% Peco track)
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:17 pm

"Used" track ???????
I never re-use my track and although I was once given a pile of used stuff most of it was compromised
and not worth using. Small defects can mean less than satisfactory running.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

kebang

Postby kebang » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:29 am

You may be able to reuse set track, just make sure it is the modern nickel silver (not steel) type. Where are you emigrating too? If outside the EU you might find it cheaper to purchase new goods online once you have relocated, the postage is usually more than covered by the 20% VAT saving. (Quite often I will save around 20 quid in VAT for a postal charge of 4 or 5 quid).

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:49 am

IAN1955 wrote:...I am having difficulty obtaining used PECO track as a job lot, does anyone know where I can get this from or should I sell what I have now and get Hornby which looks to be plentiful...

You'll either 'get lucky' or not with this approach, both in respect of finding the preferred brand, and the condition of the track pieces you obtain.

What precisely is it you are after? There's a small chance of finding a good quantity of Peco flexitrack in good condition, but only if you haunt model shops, shows, on line auction sites. Hornby, which means set track (and you may as well include in that the equivalent Bachmann and Peco set track products, as they are all interoperable) is going to be more available, but much of it will have been 'robustly' played with.

Personally I would rather decide on a budget, hunt around for the best offers on Peco, and buy new. Better a third the length of good track than a big heap of items in variable condition. Track is very much the 'poor relation' in many folks thinking about model railway, but it determines whether the locos and stock run well. And a layout that doesn't run well is usually quickly discarded as too frustrating.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:58 am

Although I am happy to reuse my own track, depending on its age, I go along with don't buy secondhand, on the basis that it's impossible to accurately date it, yet alone know what has been done to it. There are some obvious changes which have been made over the years, (Hollow sleepers from Peco) but I doubt many people outside of the factory could attach dates to them, but they will only tell you what it was like when new. Just not worth the hassle it might cause.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:27 pm

I do often buy track second-hand and in the main it's fine but I'm careful not to buy anything that appears older than the nineties and without looking at it closely it isn't easy to tell. I have had some that just fell apart due to old age.

If you aren't sure then don't buy it especially off Ebay. There are quite a few Peco items on there that I won't go near because they are the type that I used to have trouble with. They may well be fine but I'm not taking the chance. They've been making some items for a very long time so it is a real lottery what you may get.

The best way is to look at it in your hand. Collector's fairs are a good hunting ground because it can often be cheap. At one show the guy GAVE me a load of points mostly a bit older in with the other items I bought because he didn't want to take them home! Maybe you may get lucky like that but it doesn't happen that often!

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:24 pm

You can get some good bargains off ebay provided you are careful; I got some Peco Setrack cheap presumably because most people looking for set track go for Hornby and 3 job lots of unused Hornby flex which were merely listed by their catalogue number.

IAN1955

Postby IAN1955 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:11 am

Thank you for advice, I did not think about what problems I would store up so its new for me.
Thanks
Ian

Sc0tty

Postby Sc0tty » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:44 pm

Ian,

I have PM''d you re my set of mostly brand new unused nickel silver hornby track.

Please see the classifieds.

James

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”