air brush and spray booth

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
castlespitfire

air brush and spray booth

Postby castlespitfire » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:17 am

Have been using for years an basic Badger air brush mainly in the summer out in the shed. It is about time I bought some better kit than the old spray booth which I knocked up years ago and it never worked very well, made from an old cooker hood. Have been looking at some on line which are priced anything from £50 something upwards to hundreds and wonder if any one could advise me on reasonably good one which does not break the bank to much. I think some of the cheaper ones are powered buy mains adaptors and are low voltage and the more expensive ones run on full 240 volt.
Would like to hear if any users on here have any recommendations as to your favourite spray booths which do the job well. Are the cheaper low power ones worth buying. I don't want to spend loads of money, as I dont have loads of money. LOL
Any recommendations would be welcomed..................John
It was working yesterday last time I used it................... John

dubdee1000

Re: air brush and spray booth

Postby dubdee1000 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:22 pm

I have one of the £50 ones - its fine for 00 and smaller scales. It has a hose that needs to be put through a window and its not the longest hose in the world. Replacement filters may be an issue - to improve the life of mine, i put a sheet of kitchen paper over it. However, the airflow is good and there isn't a trace of odours when in operation, even with something like U-Pol. A light would make it better

castlespitfire

Postby castlespitfire » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:38 pm

dubdee1000 wrote:I have one of the £50 ones - its fine for 00 and smaller scales. It has a hose that needs to be put through a window and its not the longest hose in the world. Replacement filters may be an issue - to improve the life of mine, i put a sheet of kitchen paper over it. However, the airflow is good and there isn't a trace of odours when in operation, even with something like U-Pol. A light would make it better

Thank you Dubdee, Thant was what I wanted to know mostly if the airflow is OK and it does the job. Will order one now after what you have told me. Why do you say the filters may be a problem. What are the filters made of exactly are they like the foam ones in some cooker hoods. ......................John

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:24 pm

The filter in mine is a sort of sponge/mesh. In order to prolong its life, kitchen paper over the front of it traps some paint (at the expense of some suction). I figured that for the cost of the kitchen paper and slightly more fumes, I'd rather have this. I haven't seen spare filters, but then again, I haven't looked either. They are clumsy things to set up, but are durable once clipped together. The light and a longer hose are the only things that i would improve

EDIT - filter here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-airbrushing-spray-booth-filter/110952356659?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33843%26meid%3D0d3a8a1eb2604c97b6ac04f2990432da%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D181940241275

castlespitfire

Postby castlespitfire » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:27 pm

Upon your advice I went to Durham Trains in Stanley yesterday and bought one of these booths and while I was there also got very good deal on an air brush which was much better than my old basic Badger, for £25..............It was an American one called Paasche VL double action, which had lots of extra jets needles and spares and even though it looked new he said it was second hand. So that was a good visit to the local model shop.
Thank you for your help about these spray booths..............John

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”