What is the value in buying rolling stock kits?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
stuartp

Re: What is the value in buying rolling stock kits?

Postby stuartp » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:26 am

The Cambrian instructions might be basic but surely there's enough information there to build the kit. The ones in front of me now have a basic construction sequence, an explanation of the alternative parts provided and which ones to use, painting instructions, livery notes, a couple of sketches showing which way up everything goes and some sample numbers. Given that almost every wagon has numerous minor variations (and often some quite major ones) from one wagon to the next, and that as a breed no two 4mm modellers can agree a common standard for wheels bearings or couplings, a certain amount of 'flexibility' in the instructions and a necessity to find a photo of your prototype is inevitable. The Airfix mineral wagon had excellent instructions but then Airfix was a big company with, as Pennine mentioned, technical authors and draughtsmen on the staff. I think Cambrian is one bloke and a moulding machine ? And if you built it according to the instructions you got plastic wheels and a weird elastic band-powered knuckle coupling - if you wanted anything else you were literally on your own !

There are better instructions out there - Rumney Models for a start. But his (Justin Newitt's) kits are extremely complicated and start at £38 for a 4 wheeled van. Some of the Cambrian kits are less than a fiver and most of the Parkside range are around a tenner. Airfix-style instructions and detailed notes 'bought in' would easily double those prices.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:13 pm

My first love was modelling, as in 1:72 aircraft - not glamour, but if you pay me enough...

Anyway, I used to find the old Cooper Craft wagons were very good. I'm not sure if that company still exist, or their moulds have been sold on. So railway stock modelling satisfied two hobbies of mine. Some of those wagons still survive, as does an unbuilt Airfix Evening Star, and other stock from them.

InFullSteam

Postby InFullSteam » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:03 am

Bigmet wrote:The instructions for a great many model railway kits are like that, they assume the purchaser is 'in the club', has read the magazine 'how to' articles, has a library of reference information; and in the worst cases - particularly applicable to loco kits - has ready access to all sorts of supplies and materials that are required to complete. These latter kits are often referred to as 'scratch aids'. Truth is that most are the very small volume productions of enthusiasts on a 'cottage industry' basis, for fellow enthusiasts; and offered on the basis of 'if you like it that's good, if not you will have to find your owny way to get a model of this subject'.

I wouldn't be wiothout them though for the reason described; they enable a more accurate scene by representing the less common vehicles in among the large volume build of BR design vehicles in my modelling interest.

True. If you do not know what all the parts are before hand, putting together a kit might be a struggle.

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:15 am

It's not best to start with a complicated and expensive kit, though. If you start with a cheapo one from, say, Airfix, you'll get to know the basics and won't have any issues with the more complicated/expensive ones. After all a wagon goes together roughly the same, so once you have got the hang of how it is made the kit with more detail won't pose any issues.

6C

Postby 6C » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:34 am

Yep Coopercraft still going strong.

The Dapol re-pops of the old Airfix kits are really easy - and therapeutic to put together - can't agree that Cambrians are easy though - as I am stalled on a GW Shunters Truck at the mo... mainly the underframe - which seems to follow prototype practice closely..maybe too closely :!:
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

Boxcar Willie

Postby Boxcar Willie » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:18 pm

I love building the Dapol oil wagons - they're as near as dammit to Irish ones and a great evening's entertainment can be had for a few Euros. I plan to build up a train of about a dozen or so - a train like this ran prototypically to the West of Ireland in the 50s as the roads were so bad lorry transport was expensive, slow and downright dangerous.

I reckon that out of every six wagons I build four of them will actually run properly - they're as subject to the vagaries of the moulding process as they've always been...

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:46 am

6C wrote: ...- can't agree that Cambrians are easy though - as I am stalled on a GW Shunters Truck at the mo... mainly the underframe - which seems to follow prototype practice closely..maybe too closely :!:

As with Parkside, the ease of construction can be relative; kits over the last few years are much improved, with several of the common or garden opens and vans utilising a one piece chassis/floor moulding.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:48 am

But perhaps not as relative as the now long-defunct Ratio Open C ! What would have been an extremely useful model of an interesting prototype was marred by all sorts of solebar and brake assembly problems. A shame. It can be made of course but not without a lot of compromise.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”