What is the value in buying rolling stock kits?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
skyblue

Re: What is the value in buying rolling stock kits?

Postby skyblue » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:38 pm

Dapol are generally a bit cheaper and are more widely available. In my opinion the Ratio kits are generally better moulded, detailed and the range of prototypes is greater. Don't discount Parkside Dundas, they are no harder to build than Dapol or Ratio and the range is far more extensive than either of those manufacturers. The prices are generally no higher either/

Fife

Postby Fife » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:50 pm

Whoops, I got it in my head that the Parkside Dundas kits needed the purchase of wheels. Cheers for that.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:33 pm

No Parkside Dundas come with everything except paint and transfers. Dapol always include transfers, and Ratio generally do.

castlespitfire

Postby castlespitfire » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:31 pm

These days there are so much to choose from Ready to run but when kits came out years ago often buying a kit was the only way to obtain a lot of rolling stock. Can still think of a few kits which it is impossible to get ready to run. One very common one comes to mind are the Ratio 4 wheel coaches which are not bad and far as i know not available R to R. The Hornby offerings are never waza's. Yes agree kits often are more expensive after buying the extras.
I would always now go for R to R if available because the finish is so good these days. Years ago that was not the case of course when R to R stuff was very limited. Of course there are exceptions.
Years ago I used to love building Kay's white metal locos because everything was in the box and you did not have to chase around getting extra bits to finish them other than paint and transfers. Funny enough I am just completing a Kay's Pannier Tank which I purchased on e-bay and lovely little loco she is turning out to be. Was very lucky when I bought it because the chap selling it had included turned brass chimneys and whistles and etched brass footplate sides and steps which were better than the kays white metal parts.. Picked that up for 50 notes.
John
It was working yesterday last time I used it................... John

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:08 am

castlespitfire wrote: Yes agree kits often are more expensive after buying the extras. John

But only if you build one John. Paint, whether aerosol or pot, will cover many before it is exhausted and transfer sheets - as long as you purchase the right ones - last, too. Tools will last a lifetime.....

Too many modellers believe that kits are only for the experts. I see this in my club and have given up banging heads together to explode this fallacy. All you need is the will: the skills will follow.

More modellers should be dissatisfied with what's available in r-t-r and look further: in GWR terms alone there's much to be found in plastic kits that cannot be bought in a box. And when you look at white metal or brass.............

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

castlespitfire

Postby castlespitfire » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:26 pm

Lysander wrote:
castlespitfire wrote: Yes agree kits often are more expensive after buying the extras. John

But only if you build one John. Paint, whether aerosol or pot, will cover many before it is exhausted and transfer sheets - as long as you purchase the right ones - last, too. Tools will last a lifetime.....

Too many modellers believe that kits are only for the experts. I see this in my club and have given up banging heads together to explode this fallacy. All you need is the will: the skills will follow.

More modellers should be dissatisfied with what's available in r-t-r and look further: in GWR terms alone there's much to be found in plastic kits that cannot be bought in a box. And when you look at white metal or brass.............

Tony

Hello Lysander,,,,, You are very good at picking out parts or single sentences of what people say. I also said I these days go for R to R ( if available ) and never suggested that kits should ignored. Have been building them for donkey's years.........John
It was working yesterday last time I used it................... John

6C

Postby 6C » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:47 pm

Kits can be a great source of spares to upgrade old items of RTR too - recently upgraded a reasonably detalied Lima van to a Parkside Dundas van body and a set of wheels from Peterspares to replace the pizza cutters.

Conversely (as usual) - I am finding the RTR offerings are getting to be a little too pricey - so the fall in kit prices is encouraging me to kit-bash even more - but then again I don't need any wagons per se - just extras for variety etc.

If I needed a batch of wagons - I would probably have more difficult decisions - as I have neither the time to build a batch - or the finances to buy the exquisite wagons.... :roll:
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:51 pm

I think the rising price of RTR wagons makes some kits well & truly worth the effort, in particular if you are
time rich & finance poor. The Dapol 16 ton mineral (at least the correct wheelbase in comparison to their RTR)
currently listed at the 'shed' at £5.40. The better quality RTR Bachmann are £11.01 clean, £12.71 for a weathered
version. It comes complete with wheels & decals for 1 wagon, if you want more then yes you'll need to buy a sheet
and that will vary depending on which you buy.
There is enjoyment in making, and again you'll need some paints, but not many. The other advantage you can make
with an open side door to add another nice little touch to a cameo scene. Make 3 and you're quids in on savings.

For anyone time poor & finance rich RTR is fine, quality of finish & running are top notch - You pay's your money and
live with the decision.

One with the side door open. With great care you can make in such a way that the door will push closed. Thought I
should have a picture weathered, but can't find at the moment

If I can find weathered I'll add in later - perhaps .....
Obviously I was pushing on to the next job, but I have a shot here where there are 4 kit built 16 tonners, 2 x Cambrian Models,
1 x Dapol (with door open), & 1 x Parkside Dundas, an unpainted Dapol Lowmac EK mixed up with a few Bachmann RTR.

About £25 worth of 16 tonners ...... A bargain if you have the skill & the time .....

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:15 am

A recent eBay inexpensive purchase sourced me almost thirty ready made, but unpainted mostly Cambrian kits and a few from Airfix/Dapol. Per car, including couplers, Gibson wheels and brass bearings, my outlay was around GBP1.20 each. Of cause, I need to source paint and decals to complete.

What the kit purchase has opened up to me is the lack of diversity in RTR stock. My kit made cars include Loriots, Lowmacs, loco coal wagons, cement wagons, sleeper wagons and various bogie ballast wagons (SR 1947) and open wagons. I built Airfix wagons when I was a youngish child and at the time was not really impressed with them, but now seeing how well the constructor has made these current models, I am open to purchasing a few more, possibly Lowmacs.

Also what surprised me is how freely the cars run. The purchase has opened my eyes to further kit purchases, although no doubt I will be shocked at the present day value of the inexpensive kit cars that I purchased for a song.

One thing that puzzled me is the relatively poor quality of the Cambrian kit instructions and diagrams (freehand drawings). They assume that the builder has vast previous experience in building kits and is knowledgeable on the prototype.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:14 am

The instructions for a great many model railway kits are like that, they assume the purchaser is 'in the club', has read the magazine 'how to' articles, has a library of reference information; and in the worst cases - particularly applicable to loco kits - has ready access to all sorts of supplies and materials that are required to complete. These latter kits are often referred to as 'scratch aids'. Truth is that most are the very small volume productions of enthusiasts on a 'cottage industry' basis, for fellow enthusiasts; and offered on the basis of 'if you like it that's good, if not you will have to find your owny way to get a model of this subject'.

I wouldn't be wiothout them though for the reason described; they enable a more accurate scene by representing the less common vehicles in among the large volume build of BR design vehicles in my modelling interest.

AustralisRico

Postby AustralisRico » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:37 pm

Lysander wrote:But only if you build one John. Paint, whether aerosol or pot, will cover many before it is exhausted and transfer sheets - as long as you purchase the right ones - last, too. Tools will last a lifetime.....

Tony

For me personally my first issue is places to purchase them. I don't know of any local shops that sell these kits. Can you point me to any places where I can start looking?

I don't mind the idea of building some kits, always loved building models, but would need to find said kits.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:02 pm

No idea about stockists in Australia but all the kit and decal manufacturers will supply direct by mail order (although Cambrian won't supply to the US because of the terms of their business insurance). Actual stockists are getting hard to find in the UK never mind anywhere else. For tools, paints etc try a regular hobby or handicrafts supplier.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:59 am

Bigmet wrote:The instructions for a great many model railway kits are like that, they assume the purchaser is 'in the club', has read the magazine 'how to' articles, has a library of reference information; ...

Indeed, they come from a time when that's how it was, and when ability in such techniques (or the will to learn such) was almost a given, whether acquired from the world of school or work or the archetypal Airfix Spitfire. But I'd also add that in my view, a large part of learning anything is in the 'doing'.

Truth is that most are the very small volume productions of enthusiasts on a 'cottage industry' basis, for fellow enthusiasts; and offered on the basis of 'if you like it that's good, if not you will have to find your owny way to get a model of this subject'.

Here, I suppose folk are wont to compare Cambrian and Parkside instructions with (again) Airfix, but as Paul says, the economics don't compare. Technical authorship is a cost that would make the small form untenable and is seemingly avoided even by bigger ones; it's only my subjective impression but the instructions for other consumer products these days seem nowhere near as thorough as they once were.

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:13 am

Pennine MC wrote:
Bigmet wrote:The instructions for a great many model railway kits are like that, they assume the purchaser is 'in the club', has read the magazine 'how to' articles, has a library of reference information; ...

Indeed, they come from a time when that's how it was, and when ability in such techniques (or the will to learn such) was almost a given, whether acquired from the world of school or work or the archetypal Airfix Spitfire. But I'd also add that in my view, a large part of learning anything is in the 'doing'.

To be fair we used to cut our teeth on Airfix and Kitmaster so when we got to the more upmarket kits we already had a good idea what to do so the instructions didn't need to be detailed... That's still the way I'd suggest any newbie do things.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:33 am

Who needs instructions ?
A note for the prototypical male is always :-
"If all else fails read the instructions"
So charge in and start - Nowadays if all else fails start asking questions on
your friendly and informative New Railway Modellers website !!

We have available a knowledge base that would take months of reading to
cover. With that comment comes my admiration of so many that will spend
many hours of their time helping others for no reason other than a shared interest.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”