CMX TRACK CLEANER - Anybody got any opinions (Good or Bad)?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
allan

Re: CMX TRACK CLEANER - Anybody got any opinions (Good or Bad)?

Postby allan » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:12 pm

Forfarian wrote:I can't see the logic in a soft pad driving down the points blade... one of the problems of using a track rubber on points is the different angles of track tend to remove some of the material from the rubber and clog up the area around the frog and can also get between the blades.
I find using a paired down coffee stirrer and soft cloth with IPA on is much better way of cleaning points, point blades and frogs.

The "soft pad" is clamped onto a lump of brass bar!

IPA does a good job of removing oils, but has no effect on oxidation which will need an abrasive (or a strong acid!) to remove. The aim of track cleaning is not just to degrease but to polish the track.

And, yes, loose material left around points will cause problems, so must be removed.

kebang

Postby kebang » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:53 am

I ordered My OO gauge CMX Track Cleaner from DCC Supplies in September. Got an email from them telling me their stock delivery is now expected mid January (2017 I hope!) So my order will be dispatched then.

All the advice here indicates that a heavy powerful loco is needed. My layout is designed as a branch line so all my locos are fairly small and lightweight. The heaviest I have is a Hornby Railroad class 55. Doesn't usually appear on the layout due to class and livery, but no problem giving it a weekly outing. What is the opinion here on its suitability?

If it isn't going to be up to the job then I'll have to purchase a new loco. (I like to use Hattons as I have not had a delivery go astray from them yet & they usually arrive within 3 weeks)

I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible so which of the Bachmann, Heljan or Hornby locos would be the most inexpensive option that would work. My layout is meant to be 1947 - 1969 (roughly!) so if the loco fits into this category that would be a bonus. I can see a very inexpensive R3491 Hornby Class 42 Warship D805 "Benbow" in BR green, but that probably has no more pulling power than the class 55.

DCC ready would be a bonus.

allan

Postby allan » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:30 am

I'd wait until the track cleaner arrives: unless you have difficult grades to contend with, a strong loco (not necessarily a big loco) should do the job. The wagon is heavy, but the only real friction is between a small piece of dampened cloth and what one would expect to be already reasonably clean track. If the track is not reasonably clean your loco wil not get sufficient pick up to let it run, and either pull or propel the track cleaner.

kebang

Postby kebang » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:43 am

The track is level so I'll see if the Deltic can push it around. I would like opinions on what would be a suitable inexpensive loco though so if, when it arrives and the Deltic doesn't cut it, I can order something straight away instead of spending a further week on researching a substitute

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:23 pm

The ideal traction is a model that is weighty and has no traction tyres. Look at the Bachmann and Heljan ranges, all their diesels have a heavy mechanism, and drive to both bogies. Since you want smaller types and reasonable economy I'd suggest a look at the Bach 20, 24, 25 and 37, or the Heljan 26, 27, 33 or 35. The 20 is the lightest but still has very good traction, the rest are all in the 'pull the side out of a house' category, and all have big motors which are trouble free (Heljan also offer classes 15, 16, 17, but there is something of a question mark over the long term ruggedness of the compact motor common to all three of these). Examples of the reccomended types can be got new for around the £70 mark with a bit of scouring around, if you can be flexible on livery choice.

Sadly you have just missed out on the Heljan 23 'Baby Deltic' which was remaindered at £59, and quite probably the gruntiest of the lot, extremely heavy.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:44 pm

One cheap and slightly unusual option might be the Heljan Class 128 parcels DMU. You can pick these up from Hattons for £52. They appear to have all wheel drive and a solid metal chassis, just like the big diesels.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:24 pm

Now there's a good idea, like it.

kebang

Postby kebang » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:09 am

The class 128 fits nicely into the latter end of my modelling era and at that price was irresistible! Ordered it today, thanks to all for the advice.

ollieollieollie

Postby ollieollieollie » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:02 pm

Just bought one of these from Ten Commandments at the Chiltern Exhibition at Stevenage. £38. Ran it up & down a short section of track that was rubbed a week ago & it has picked up quite a bit of dirt. Doesn't need any cleaner added - just the friction of the cloth. Comes with enough cloth to last a very long time. Not sure they are on their website yet as the chap said he was updating it and only about half their items were on it. I'm reasonably impressed but will save judgement until it has been around my frinds big roundy roundy layout!

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:47 am

kebang wrote:I ordered My OO gauge CMX Track Cleaner from DCC Supplies in September. Got an email from them telling me their stock delivery is now expected mid January (2017 I hope!) So my order will be dispatched then.

All the advice here indicates that a heavy powerful loco is needed. My layout is designed as a branch line so all my locos are fairly small and lightweight. The heaviest I have is a Hornby Railroad class 55. Doesn't usually appear on the layout due to class and livery, but no problem giving it a weekly outing. What is the opinion here on its suitability?

If it isn't going to be up to the job then I'll have to purchase a new loco. (I like to use Hattons as I have not had a delivery go astray from them yet & they usually arrive within 3 weeks)

I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible so which of the Bachmann, Heljan or Hornby locos would be the most inexpensive option that would work. My layout is meant to be 1947 - 1969 (roughly!) so if the loco fits into this category that would be a bonus. I can see a very inexpensive R3491 Hornby Class 42 Warship D805 "Benbow" in BR green, but that probably has no more pulling power than the class 55.

Just checked the DCC Supplies website. Still quoting all scales of the CMX track cleaner are 'Currently out of stock'. It will be interesting to see when they finally do arrive. It's been over a year now since any have been available in the UK (I've been looking since Nov 2015). At £136 seems like a real luxury for me with just a small branch line layout. I think I'll give it a miss and not be so idle and do my track cleaning manually or maybe investigate some of the cheaper options mentioned on this thread.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:44 am

Hi everyone,

Just an idea (as I already have one) but, would it be an idea to do a group buy? Then members could post it to each other. I'm just throwing it out there.

Or maybe hire it?

Not sure if this is a good idea or not...

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:36 am

The only trouble i can see with it is you get the best results running it regularly as a preventative measure - this means you will want to run it more then you think. it obviously depends on how often you run anyway and your layouts location but last time i had regular running i would run my CMX ~ once per month.

kebang

Postby kebang » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:21 am

Postage would be prohibitive in my case!
A good idea for a club to share amongst members tho......

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:10 am

kebang wrote:I ordered My OO gauge CMX Track Cleaner from DCC Supplies in September. Got an email from them telling me their stock delivery is now expected mid January (2017 I hope!) So my order will be dispatched then.

Hi kebang.
Any news on your order for the CMX Track Cleaner?
Just looked on the DCC Supplies website and for some reason the OO/HO version is not listed anymore. Very strange as all the other gauges are there.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)

kebang

Postby kebang » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:00 pm

No news I'm afraid..

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”