CMX TRACK CLEANER - Anybody got any opinions (Good or Bad)?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Tosh

Re: CMX TRACK CLEANER - Anybody got any opinions (Good or Ba

Postby Tosh » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:53 pm

I use an N gauge Sharge track cleaner and it works a treat once you get used to setting the flow correctly,had it for approx 2 years now and paid £50 for it,I use either IPA or Goo gone and they both give excellent results.
Beer,making ugly women look beautiful for thousands of years.....

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:21 pm

Tosh wrote:I use an N gauge Sharge track cleaner and it works a treat once you get used to setting the flow correctly,had it for approx 2 years now and paid £50 for it,I use either IPA or Goo gone and they both give excellent results.

Thanks for that Tosh.
How is Sutton these days? I had my first Teaching job at Sutton Centre back in the mid 90s. Those were the days LOL.

Pete.

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:14 am

Hi,

after reading the reviews I took the plunge and ordered one (about 4 years ago). I nearly choked at the cost, however, the first time you use it you'll know it was the right thing to do. I cannot recommend it highly enough. I even pressed some very old track into service, and after a quick rub with a track rubber and two or three passes with the CMX it was like new again.

Really, really good bit of kit. I pull mine around with a Class 66 (Bachmann, plenty of power). As other have suggested pushing is better, but in my experience only when the track is very dirty. I use mine all the time so it's basically maintaining the shine rather than cleaning.

Good either way

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:21 am

dan8400 wrote:Hi,

after reading the reviews I took the plunge and ordered one (about 4 years ago). I nearly choked at the cost, however, the first time you use it you'll know it was the right thing to do. I cannot recommend it highly enough. I even pressed some very old track into service, and after a quick rub with a track rubber and two or three passes with the CMX it was like new again.

Really, really good bit of kit. I pull mine around with a Class 66 (Bachmann, plenty of power). As other have suggested pushing is better, but in my experience only when the track is very dirty. I use mine all the time so it's basically maintaining the shine rather than cleaning.

Good either way

Thanks
Dan

Yeah I'm convinced now.Looking to get one after Christmas.
Just wondering if the CMX @ £100 is better than the Sharge @ £50. They both look very similar.

Pete

castlespitfire

Postby castlespitfire » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:31 pm

Just looked up the price of this very well made bit of kit I would say it seems to me to be well worth ist's money and more. It does not cost any more than one of Hornby's top of the range coaches after all. Seeing what you get for your money I would say that make the coaches expensive in comparison. Put this on my wants list now. Thanks for info.......John
It was working yesterday last time I used it................... John

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:39 pm

RailwayRobbo wrote:Just wondering if the CMX @ £100 is better than the Sharge @ £50. They both look very similar.

Yes my thoughts too - so interested in views on this. But I guess most people will only have one or the other so can't compare . . . ?

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:10 am

Hi guys.
It's a year tomorrow (02/12/16) since I started this thread so just out of interest I thought I'd put the 'thread to bed' so to speak.
Well in that year I've not been able to find anybody with a CMX cleaner in stock in the UK.
Early in the year (around March/April) I got in touch with DCC Supplies and they emailed me saying that they'd have them in stock in 2 to 3 weeks @ £95 and would email me when they arrived.
Anyway no emails ever arrived and I forgot about it till a couple of months ago. Now my emails to DCC Supplies don't get answered and they still list them on their websites as out of stock but at a price of £136.
Needless to say I've lost all interest and maybe will take a punt on the UK version the Shrage which is currently £93 (was around £60 at the beginning of the year). So a big price hike there as well.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)

ollieollieollie

Postby ollieollieollie » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:12 pm

Blimey. £93 for the Sharge. I have had mine less than 6 months & paid under £60 for it. That's a heck of an increase.

I bought mine to use on a friends layout that has several hard to get at sections. The track is pretty much filthy & hasn't been cleaned properly for years due to lack of use & inaccessibility . I ran this repeatedly round & round & to be fair the pad did get very dirty but there was no way it was going to deal with the heavy deposits on the track.I suspect it is probably fine for keeping clean track clean.

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:00 pm

There is a company in the UK that makes a cleaner using a Bachmann brake van. It is a kit (or can have ready made) just supply your own wagon. I cannot for the life of me think who it is though. They also make buffers, lamps, etc.. I'll post if I remember.

Found it !!

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanark ... te_139.htm

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanark ... te_140.htm

Two different versions available, not sure how well the work but seem to be a decent price.
All Aboooooard !!

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:30 pm

I love my CMX track cleaner, the cost is high but it takes away allot of the track maintenance chores which i cant stand so this is ideal. The weight of it means it needs a powerful loco to get it around the layout, i use a Bachmann class 20 which i have fitted with kadee couplings as my CEX only has these but with the NEM pocket on the loco its not a massive issue - especially as the class 20 is essentially assigned that job full time.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:10 pm

Not quite as good, but it's pretty easy to fix a hardboard sled into the Hornby track cleaning coach and there's also the old Triang wet cleaner, which isn't too bad.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28854&start=210 (scroll to the bottom)
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:52 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

Alex3410 - must admit it sounds like an excellent piece of kit. Heard nothing but good things about it. £136 though is a bit steep. You could buy a decent loco for that. I've only got a branch line end to end layout. Its just idleness on my part that I was thinking of buying it.

Britfarmer - That sounds very interesting. I think I'll find out more. Looks like it could be a cheaper alternative.

GeraldH - Yeah, I've heard some of these DIY variations work very well. Another possibility I think.

allan

Re: CMX TRACK CLEANER - Anybody got any opinions (Good or Bad)?

Postby allan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:09 pm

No wagon-mounted track cleaner will clean the mobile rails in points - the pads ride on the rigid outer rails and push the mobile rails downwards and out of the way, leaving them grubby until you tackle them with a track rubber.

I have a diversity of track cleaning wagons, including a CMX, and none of them do as good a job as a track rubber, carefully applied.

If you start with clean track, and run only locos and wagons with clean (shiny clean) wheels, both track and wheel cleaning will be needed only infrequently.

ALL WHEELS AND THE TRACK NEED TO BE SHINY CLEAN FOR RELIABLE RUNNING. Anything less will mean increased cleaning effort for little return as well as unreliable running. Polishing the track but not polishing all of your wheel treads is, simply, a waste of time.

Forfarian

Postby Forfarian » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:39 pm

allan wrote:No wagon-mounted track cleaner will clean the mobile rails in points - the pads ride on the rigid outer rails and push the mobile rails downwards and out of the way, leaving them grubby until you tackle them with a track rubber.

I have a diversity of track cleaning wagons, including a CMX, and none of them do as good a job as a track rubber, carefully applied.

If you start with clean track, and run only locos and wagons with clean (shiny clean) wheels, both track and wheel cleaning will be needed only infrequently.

ALL WHEELS AND THE TRACK NEED TO BE SHINY CLEAN FOR RELIABLE RUNNING. Anything less will mean increased cleaning effort for little return as well as unreliable running. Polishing the track but not polishing all of your wheel treads is, simply, a waste of time.

While agreeing with most of the above post, I can't see the logic in a soft pad driving down the points blade, I have had a CMX for a number of years and never had any trouble cleaning points with it, one of the problems of using a track rubber on points is the different angles of track tend to remove some of the material from the rubber and clog up the area around the frog and can also get between the blades.
I find using a paired down coffee stirrer and soft cloth with IPA on is much better way of cleaning points, point blades and frogs.
Tim
aka Forfarian

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:18 pm

I use Gaugemaster track cleaning pads, fitted to a couple of coaches in different rakes, and regularly run these round with IPA soaked into the pads = a very cheap alternative :D:
ImageIMG_7086 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Re points, I always vacuum after using a track rubber to suck up any debris from between the blades. I also have extra feeds on my points using a switch on my point motors so that I am not relying on conductivity between stock rails and blades - I have found this essential for decent N gauge performance.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”