Hornby still struggling

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
b308

Re: Hornby still struggling

Postby b308 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:42 am

mattmay05 wrote:keeps the public interested..

Well, you lot anyhow, not so sure about the Public!! ;) :)

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:53 am

The original article is a Guardian item and I think that the fingers either side of the loco make it look like a toy - which is probably why it was chosen.

Profits are difficult little beasties, especially for new ventures, big expansions, and takeovers - there is always the joke about the the three people at interview for an accountants job who are given identical trading figures and asked to calculate if last year was a profit or a loss. The first calculated £2m profit, the second a £1m loss - but the third interviewee said "what do you want it to be?" The third guy got the job.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:56 pm

Given the alert for Hornby's 2016 arrivals announcement (elsewhere, here) it occurred to me to check what the pre-order situation was for the promised Thomas the tank engine revamp /re-release.

"Thomas & Friends™ - Henry
£89.99
Club price £80.99
Item Code: R9292
Estimated Arrival 29/12/2015

* Arrival dates are reviewed monthly and may change."

Edward: Estimated Arrival 30/12/2015

Gordon: Estimated Arrival 29/12/2015

James: Estimated Arrival 29/12/2015

Thomas, special "70th" Thomas and Percy they are still hoping to have by 11 or 12th Dec.
But at least some of the pre-orders intended for Christmas are now out on a limb.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:53 am

Emettman wrote:Given the alert for Hornby's 2016 arrivals announcement (elsewhere, here) it occurred to me to check what the pre-order situation was for the promised Thomas the tank engine revamp /re-release.

"Thomas & Friends™ - Henry
£89.99
Club price £80.99
Item Code: R9292
Estimated Arrival 29/12/2015

* Arrival dates are reviewed monthly and may change."

Thomas, special "70th" Thomas and Percy they are still hoping to have by 11 or 12th Dec.
But at least some of the pre-orders intended for Christmas are now out on a limb.

Chris.

It's slipped. Going in via a label "Thomas & Friends, perfect for Christmas"
I get for
Thomas Special edition "Estimated Arrival 14/01/2016"
James "Estimated Arrival 14/01/2016"
Gordon "Estimated Arrival 14/01/2016"
Edward "Estimated Arrival 14/01/2016"
Henry "Estimated Arrival 14/01/2016"

Just perfect.

Thomas, Percy, the coaches, trucks and wagons are estimated to arrive.. tomorrow.
I may have a look on Friday. Just to see.

Chris

castlespitfire

Postby castlespitfire » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:21 pm

To me the name Hornby is a national icon. When I was a boy Hornby and Tri-ang was every boy's dream, the name which gave model railways, the hobby, to the average working class in England. (am I allowed to use the word England these days) It is very worrying that Hornby is not doing well. I cant imagine this country without Hornby playing a major part in the hobby. Perhaps they should concentrate on the British market and down size a little. Over the years there have been many companies who have been household names which have grown so large that they seem to become unmanageable and ended up going bust. Who would have thought that Woolworth s would have folded for one example.
I wish Hornby all the best luck in the world and I hope that they dig there way of the doldrums. Hornby have made some wonderful models in later years but other companies seem to be making some very competitive moves and I think that Hornby are dragging their feet just a tad. I think there must be some management changes to get there. Must say personally I was little disappointed with the new releases for 2016. I thought there was going to be one or two more adventurous offerings.
It was working yesterday last time I used it................... John

LittleSkink

Postby LittleSkink » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:59 am

castlespitfire wrote:To me the name Hornby is a national icon. . . . Must say personally I was little disappointed with the new releases for 2016. . .

As a recent entrant to the model railway market (my 10yo wanted a trainset for Christmas) I have been dismayed at the poor quality of some Hornby stuff - and it is disapointing, for me too it is more than a brand, it is a piece of our national heritage

Before Christmas we dismissed Hornby trainsets and especially their DCC stuff as the poor relation to Bachmann - which does seem decent enough, and similarly priced

Bought an R076 footbridge - attractive on the box, it looks really cheap in the flesh, it doesnt go together properly and I cant believe its worth a tenner let alone full RRP. Likewise the mail delivery get up - fun that it is - feels like cheap bits of plastic out of a Christmas cracker. Which is a shame because the coaches that match the mail coach are very decent.

More recently we bought a Hornby TTS loco and it got derailed by the mail delivery system thingys that clip in to the track - do these folks not test their products together? We exchanged the loco and the second model we tried will only run without coaches behind it. Both handsome pieces of kit to look at but functionally broken

To be fair its not just Hornby. We bought some Peco track (based on reccomendations here) and its hopeless. The fishplates wont connect properly to the Bachmann track we have. Take it apart a couple of times and its useless

And for me that is the biggest bugbear - in this day and age stuff should just work together - plug and play is the norm everywhere. I am sure hobbyists love to tinker but frankly if I just paid well over £100 for a model loco I expect to put it on the track and it work - perfectly. I buy "the best track" I expect to be able to use it just like the track that came in the trainset box

Is that too much to ask?

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:07 am

LittleSkink wrote:To be fair its not just Hornby. We bought some Peco track (based on reccomendations here) and its hopeless. The fishplates wont connect properly to the Bachmann track we have. Take it apart a couple of times and its useless

Funnily enough Mac and Windows won't work together either so it's not just limited to trains!

You'll find the recommendations on here will always say to beginners to use ONE make of track and not mix them. Peco are the best UK track manufacturer, of that there's no doubt. You can mix and match, I did it as a kid with Triang and HD, but you have to just live with the differences. As soon as i could I got rid of the train set track and went to the decent stuff...

The old adage "you get what you pay for" applies just as much to model railways as anything else.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:10 am

LittleSkink wrote:
castlespitfire wrote:To me the name Hornby is a national icon. . . . Must say personally I was little disappointed with the new releases for 2016. . .

Bought an R076 footbridge - attractive on the box, it looks really cheap in the flesh, it doesnt go together properly and I cant believe its worth a tenner let alone full RRP. Likewise the mail delivery get up - fun that it is - feels like cheap bits of plastic out of a Christmas cracker. Which is a shame because the coaches that match the mail coach are very decent.

More recently we bought a Hornby TTS loco and it got derailed by the mail delivery system thingys that clip in to the track - do these folks not test their products together? We exchanged the loco and the second model we tried will only run without coaches behind it. Both handsome pieces of kit to look at but functionally broken

......................................................................................

Both the footbridge and the mail system have been in the Hornby catalogue since Triang days. If you have issues with them then perhaps it is not Hornby who is responsible as you are possibly expecting too much from a toy. Both these items have been satisfying us for fifty odd years. Did you correctly install the track actuating ramps?

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:18 am

GWR_fan wrote:are possibly expecting too much from a toy.

Now that could be discussed at length! Though I do agree with you... It makes me laugh when people cry out for more "detail" and then complain when those added details are too "delicate"... I sometimes feel that the manufacturers are between a rock and a hard place...

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:22 am

The SECR Terrier which was due in March has now been put back to 31/07/2016 :(

was looking forward to it! its now coming just before the wedding so chances of having spare cash for it are slim

re track - Peco track has always been my favourite, its much more sturdy then the Hornby stuff, for example last weekend i pulled up large sections of the layout and the peco stuff was much more reusable then the Hornby bits. They do all play together well enough i use Hornby, Peco and Bachmann track on my layout based on what was cheapest at the time (Bachmann points) or what i could readily get (Hornby).

If your pulling the track apart allot (temporary layouts) the fish plates are going to be bent lose, you can tighten them carefully with pliers but the best solution if possible is to fit it down to a board - this will help with running issues as well.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:06 pm

The R076 footbridge is a decent representation of a lattice footbridge, although being moulded in polythene it is quite bendy. It's also a bit too tall and (because of the un-glueable nature of the polythene) difficult to alter although I did make a reasonable fist of it with Evostick once. It should clip together properly unless you've got a duff one.

The mail set up is quite fiddly to set up correctly and very prone to going out of adjustment if taken up and relaid after each session. It's much more reliable if used on fixed track or even on with a piece of loose track glued to a bit of plastic sheet with the ramps pinned and glued in place to stop them moving. Which loco is derailing ? All Hornby's stuff should go over it as it's the same height as their uncoupling ramp. If it's sitting too high it suggests that it's not clipped down firmly enough and I grant you that is a pain to get right sometimes.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

castlespitfire

Postby castlespitfire » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:54 pm

As this thread is titled Hornby still struggling. I wonder if it is a good idea to make pre orders. I did one other day and afterwards though O dear, If anything happens to the company I may just lose my money.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:48 pm

castlespitfire wrote:As this thread is titled Hornby still struggling. I wonder if it is a good idea to make pre orders. I did one other day and afterwards though O dear, If anything happens to the company I may just lose my money.

Pre-orders? I can't say how likely the company is to fold, but before Christmas I noticed that their returning Thomas range was running late to catch both the Thomas 70th anniversary (mid 2015) and even the Christmas sales market.

When I first looked these were open for pre-order
None of these have yet arrived, and they now have estimated arrival dates of the very end of April.

Of the twenty listed items in the Thomas range, three are available, four are on pre-order (delayed) and thirteen are out-of-stock.
http://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/brands/thomas-friends.html

I'd call that pathetic (original sense: of such a state or condition so as to provoke pity.)
If this little group of sure sellers can't be managed, I'd expect problems elsewhere, too.

Hmm. The new chassis 0-4-0 Peckett, which I knew I didn't have to decide about until August, I now won't have to decide about until the end of October. At least.
http://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/locomo ... 4-0st.html
Pictures of liveries are in, though, with a dome variation. and toolbox / pipework variations.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:02 pm

if you pre order with Hornby they don't take the cash until dispatch so would assume its OK

castlespitfire

Postby castlespitfire » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:23 pm

alex3410 wrote:if you pre order with Hornby they don't take the cash until dispatch so would assume its OK

I see, Alex yes your right, looking at it like that. I did not think of that. Spot on.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”