Waterslide decal paper for laser printers?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
alan_r

Waterslide decal paper for laser printers?

Postby alan_r » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:17 pm

Hi All
Has anyone any experience of using waterslide decal paper for laser printers?
I've found a few places that supply it, and since I like to think I'm pretty handy with a computer, figured I could create all sorts of new graphics for my railway models, such as loco logos and renumbers, lorry side logos, road markings etc. To date I've printed on paper and stuck to the sides of lorries, which look great, but waterslide transfers I'd imagine would be so much better :D
Some of the sellers give a warning to only use as soon as the laser printer is switched on to prevent the transfer paper melting to the fuser !!! :o
If I owned a laser printer I'd be worried about wreaking it, however I'm more concerned about wreaking the one at work with a sheet of train transfers on everyone's work :oops:

Are there different standards/qualities to look out for?
If it works, there would be no limit to the possibilities. Unfortunate for companies like Fox Transfers though :?
Thanks, Alan

Below are some laser printed paper sides I stuck to some of my n-gauge Tomytec lorries. I think they look great, if a little 'flat', but accept they might not look too good up close for an 'EWS yellow' logo on the side of a triple grey loco, hence my search for a self-print waterslide ...

post2a.jpg
Laser printed on paper lorries
post2a.jpg (303.19 KiB) Viewed 2434 times

N_gauge modern British livery lorries.jpg
laser printed on paper lorries
N_gauge modern British livery lorries.jpg (386.31 KiB) Viewed 2434 times

senorsenales

Re: Waterslide decal paper for laser printers?

Postby senorsenales » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:51 pm

I would agree about using decal paper in a laser printer, and having tried it it did indeed burn itself onto the rollers, together with the associated burning smell. I think I ended up throwing the machine away and buying another as it was cheaper than getting it fixed. The printing on ordinary paper was never the same afterwards so it comprehensively mucked it up. That was some years ago now so perhaps it has changed, but it looks like it hasn't.

I have used decal paper in an inkjet the only problem is that unless you alter the brightness on the settings the colours will be quite faded as after printing you need to seal it with three coats of a clear varnish so it does not smudge when being floated onto the body. Other than that it was ok.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:58 pm

Used it many times had no problems, it's down to printer setup getting the correct paper type ect...

A few of mine.
(All side transfers tanks, bunker, splashers, and cab)

(Custom side transfers for tanks)

(Latest custom transfer job Bachmanns lbsc E4)

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:43 pm

mattmay05 wrote:Used it many times had no problems, it's down to printer setup getting the correct paper type ect...

Some lovely models there mattmay05 :) , but can you elaborate about printer setup and paper please?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:19 am

I have used it before, in N scale, and am very happy with the results- although I've not used it on any rolling stock yet. I've used it to create signs for buildings and vehicles-

The Felleilmun sign on my distillery-

The Leiths sign on my quarry is perhaps the most disappointing but it is applied to a corrugated surface-

And the Speyside Brewery signs on my van.

All done on work's printer with no problems. Mine was from Mr Decal Paper on ebay.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:37 am

There is no real problem if you choose the right paper. Paper labelled for use in laser printers/photocopiers works in machines which use thermal setting "toner" not ink. Some brands even offer compensation if their product damages the printer. They are also safe to put through inkjet devices,they won't cause damage but won't absorb the ink and will leave you with an 'orrible mess to clean up.
On the other hand papers designed for inkjet use may cause serious damage to a printer/photocopier which uses the hot roller method of setting the toner image. The risk is so great that it isn't wise to even try a test print! A decade working for that company with the X at both ends of it's name has left me in no doubt of this. I'd wouldn't risk using paper being labelled for both, even if the producers gave guarantee of compensation, (they'd be too likely to go bust before I could get my claim in.)
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:10 am

Perhaps there is a gap in the market for such transfers? Solving the issue of "will this destroy my printer".
The problem I find is that the transfers I have seen that you can buy are usually brands. That or sheets of warning / hazard signs both for vehicles / rolling stock / track and road signs and advertising board/hoardings. The transfers I would like would be not so generic, like "Busy Bill's Electrical Repairs" on the side of a van for example or, in my personal case "St Blazey's Removals" or "The Chimney Man" for a chimney sweeps van. Yes they do still exist lol.
So you can see that although the idea of printing one's own signs is a possiblity, I really don't want a chance of messing up and detroying my £200 printer.

Perhaps an innovative modeller can create a generic sheet with different sized blank (coloured?) boxes which the purchaser can choose what text and which font in each box and then be sent the finished article ready to use? This would solve the issue as no doubt the modeller / sign creator would know his own printer and what it is capable of. Almost a besoke service if you will although the original sheet could be used if the purchaser like the coloured boxes. If not the box colour could be changed. Plus any proceeds could be used to further fund the modeller / sign makers layout. :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:22 am

I think there is a company who do custom transfers with none of the background problems associated with home printing but it costs about £20 per A4 sheet.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:29 am

Ahh I was thinking more cottage industry rather than company. £20 is far too much money, but £10 is more reliastic if you get exactly whay you want.
Lets be honest, I can create club night flyers in less than 5 hours. Full colur, 2 sided in photoshop. The diffrence being that I do not print them and the only scale I need to work with is A6, A5, A4, and A3. It really is not that hard, except correct scaling of course for OO, N et al.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:42 am

End2end wrote:Ahh I was thinking more cottage industry rather than company. £20 is far too much money, but £10 is more reliastic if you get exactly whay you want.
Lets be honest, I can create club night flyers in less than 5 hours. Full colur, 2 sided in photoshop. The diffrence being that I do not print them and the only scale I need to work with is A6, A5, A4, and A3. It really is not that hard, except correct scaling of course for OO, N et al.
Thanks
End2end

Trouble is the production of 'proper' transfers is a lot more complicated than just sticking the paper in your printer. If you look at transfer sheets in an airfix kit the carrier is only where the transfers are printed. The carrier is also clear because the printer they use prints white first only on the places where transfers are so they don't become translucent. Hands up anyone who's bought clear transfer paper and realised it doesn't work on anything other than a white background?
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:38 pm

yep did that :lol:

i have used the white paper to do letters and some of the lining on my sign project:

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:11 am

End2end wrote:
mattmay05 wrote:Used it many times had no problems, it's down to printer setup getting the correct paper type ect...

Some lovely models there mattmay05 :) , but can you elaborate about printer setup and paper please?
Thanks
End2end

It varies from printer to printer its never the same. The new printer I had which was a brother I think, was very picky on colour mainly and getting it correct to match, so needs a lot of fettling to get right. The printer is generally set to thick or photograph paper, The old printer which sadly packed up was a lot easier to print with in terms of colours ect...

Forgot this one which was a big step forward with the homemade transfers at the time for me.

alan_r

Postby alan_r » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:45 pm

Thanks everyone for your contributions to the debate. I'm glad I asked the question now.
Great photos of home transfers on models - well done!

I noticed the two paper types (inkjet and laser), so perhaps I saw the warning on the inkjet paper for laser use?
Not sure I'm quite ready to brave a run in the work printer just yet, but am already feeling better informed.

Any more examples and positive/negative experiences to share?
thanks all, Alan

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:33 pm

Mrs End2end and myself were looking at your photos mattmay05 as we were at Horsted Keynes on the 19th of July for the train fair and she realised..... you've even got the bush under the platform sign that is at the REAL Horsted Keynes :o
Great Modelling!!!!!!!
And another excellent loco to boot :D

As for the printing, I may just have to postpone any printing for the moment as I have not installed my (2nd hand Brother DCP-197C) printer yet so do not know what it is capable of. Plus I need to install it in such a way so all my 7 pc's can utilise it even though it is not a network printer.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:41 am

In the same situation i plugged my printer into a single desktop and then used that to share it over the network with other PC's - the downside was the PC connected to it had to be on to print.

i have spotted (but not tried) these which may be a better way of doing it?

my solution was to make sure i got a wifi one when i updated it as it makes life easier :lol:

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”