Coupling advice and replacements needed

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
End2end

Coupling advice and replacements needed

Postby End2end » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:55 pm

I am using my tweaked Brian Kirby method of uncoupling as posted here - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=48368
Alas not all of my rolling stock has non ferrous metal coupling hooks but some can be replaced I hope.
Here is a picture of the replacable ones. One loco (Hornby) and a wagon and a van (both Dapol) but the van is weathered.
Couplers1.JPG
Couplers1.JPG (39.71 KiB) Viewed 2048 times

And some close ups
The Hornby one
Couplers2.JPG
Couplers2.JPG (34.46 KiB) Viewed 2048 times

The first Dapol one
Couplers3.JPG
Couplers3.JPG (30.88 KiB) Viewed 2048 times

The weathered Dapol one
Couplers4.JPG
Couplers4.JPG (34.33 KiB) Viewed 2048 times

Basically I am looking for part numbers for direct Bachmann non ferrous replacements or other fitting non ferrous versions.
How to remove the Dapol ones to replace them.
A weathered non ferrous version for the weathered van.

Or.......If anyone has a pair of any of the non ferrous versions of the above and wishes to sell them please do get in touch.

Although I do have quite a few more ferrous hook coupled rolling stock they are not "user replacable", with makes such as Hornby and Lima so I have been making up rakes with the non ferrous hook rolling stock at each end.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bigmet

Re: Coupling advice and replacements needed

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:09 pm

All easy enough in principle, it's finding supplies of the Bachmann products that's often the problem; they often sell out within weeks of coming into stock, and its a long wait for the next batch to arrive. However, you should be in luck, Bachmann are showing that they have stock on their website, so shops should be able to supply - it's up to you how much urgency you feel this merits - but I wouldn't hang about!

For the two large couplers you need 36-026, Mini Loop Screw-On Coupling Long x 10. These will screw on as direct replacements on the Hornby; need the side arms cut off and can then be wedged into the old style pocket on the Dapol wagon, aim for a tight fit, and use an adhesive like Evostick to secure.

For the vehicle with the NEM coupler pocket, you need 36-030, Long Straight NEM Coupling with Pocket x 10. Just pull them out of the supplied pocket (useful as spares elsewhere), and insert in the pocket instead of the Dapol coupler.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:35 pm

Thanks for the reply Bigmet.
Bigmet wrote:For the two large couplers you need 36-026, Mini Loop Screw-On Coupling Long x 10. These will screw on as direct replacements on the Hornby; need the side arms cut off and can then be wedged into the old style pocket on the Dapol wagon, aim for a tight fit, and use an adhesive like Evostick to secure.

I don't know how to remove the initial coupler on the first Dapol wagon yet, but I definatly need at least 2 couplings of this type for now as they are for one of my loco's. :?
Bigmet wrote:For the vehicle with the NEM coupler pocket, you need 36-030, Long Straight NEM Coupling with Pocket x 10. Just pull them out of the supplied pocket (useful as spares elsewhere), and insert in the pocket instead of the Dapol coupler.

Do you mean the coupling on the weathered van Bigmet? If so I would prefer a weathered one to match if at all possible?
Failing that I suppose I could remove the hooks for now if possible. Not ideal for running really but aesthetically better perhaps.

Having seen the price of the couplings which are sold in packs beyond what I need for the moment, if anyone has 2 or 4 of the Bachmann 36-026's and are willing to part with them please do get in touch.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:11 pm

Any tension lock large D coupler fixed in by a central screw or rivet and two mounting pegs can be replace by, a Mainline style medium D or a Bachmann replacement narrow coupler either short or long depending on the buffer lengths. try to always keep a packet in stock of whichever you use, and buy some whenever you see them. Whenever they've been in short supply I make a point of visiting, on my travels, one of the Ian Allen shops, they seem to have packets of couplers and wheelsets after everyone else has sold out. Probably because they charge top whack for them so, people go elsewhere if they are available.
The ex Airfix plug in couplers with the fall apart mounting pocket can also be swapped by the same couplers. If you snip off the two wings on the coupler the straight tang will, with a bit of attention with a craft knife, fit into the Airfix box once the central peg is removed and a suitable hole drilled for a small self tapping screw.
The Hornby enormous sized D coupler which is moulded into the chassis, along with a slab of black plastic extending down from what should be the buffer beam is the worst to deal with. That particular design of chassis also rides too high with the buffers being a good millimetre above the correct height. It's possible to trim the unwanted plastic away, I've done it to make use of the short coaches and brake vans, but I'll readily admit that the various grounded van bodies in use around my yards and platforms are my answer of what to do with those chassis. I was given a couple of Peco chassis kits, so one van and the best of the open wagons I could find got an upgrade, but by the time I'd added metal wheels and couplers, if I'd bought the chassis would have cost more than an RTR wagon.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:27 pm

Thanks for the advice Bufferstop.
Can I just query something? You say -

The ex Airfix plug in couplers with the fall apart mounting pocket can also be swapped by the same couplers. If you snip off the two wings on the coupler the straight tang will, with a bit of attention with a craft knife, fit into the Airfix box once the central peg is removed and a suitable hole drilled for a small self tapping screw.

Can I ask what are ex Airfix couplings? Are these only on Airfix rolling stock?, with you referencing my Airfix Autocoach previosuly mentioned?
Just to clarify, the 2 Dapol wagons (if these are the ex Airfix one's your are talking about) are brand new bought this year from Gaugemaster. Wether they are old toolling or not I wouldn't have a clue lol
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:31 am

Thanks for the part numbers members. Although they do not include a heavily weathered version for the 2 Dapol wagons which I am yet to find, with your advice about haste I purchased a pack of each. Now I just need to work out how to fit them properly.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:46 am

If anyone is looking for Bachmann couplings, track shack has some in stock, that is where I purchased mine from at a very agreeable price.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:47 am

The ex Airfix couplings are a push in medium width D on a short wide tab with a keyhole shape slot in the end. The pocket is in two parts, a fixed open box with a snap on clip which supplies the grip. There was never any alternative coupling which had the same fixing. After a few unplugings the clip would develop a habit of dropping off. I cut down the centre screw Bachmann type, remove the central pin from the box and secure with a small self tapping screw.

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:16 pm

Thanks Bufferstop. Could you point me in the direction of a picture of one of them unattached to a wagon by any chance?
Thanks
End1end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:00 pm

I'll see if I have an old airfix/dapol wagon around that hasn't been converted.

[Edit] found one hiding under an autocoach.

Airfix_cplr.jpg
Airfix_cplr.jpg (26.2 KiB) Viewed 1940 times

I cut a square of white paper to put in the pocket, otherwise you wouldn't have seen the pin.
We have - bogie with Airfix pocket, the clip, and the coupler. Below on the left is a Bachmann three hole coupler with its wings trimmed off. Unfortunately the pin in the pocket is too far back to use it with the hole in the Bachmann coupler so it has to go. Then drill a pilot hole for a tiny selftapper closer to the open end of the pocket.

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:25 pm

Many thanks for the picture Bufferstop.
Do the clips just pull off vertically on the Airfix couplings?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:12 pm

You cam pull the Airfix couplings out with a good tug, If you intend to use a screw to fit a different coupler the clip will come off if you insert a screwdriver and twist. If you want to reassemble the coupler you can remove the clip non destructively with a small watchmakers screwdriver to release the tiny tag on one side of the clip. As I said earlier the clips have a habit of coming off unprompted after a few "pluggings in" of the coupler. Weather Airfix had any intention to provide alternative couplers I don't know. At the time Triang Hornby had had the field to themselves for most of a decade so they probably wanted to make a tensionlock coupler that was different enough to the Hornby ones to avoid the possibility of legal action.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:10 pm

I have been looking at my Dapol/Airfix wgaons again and something struck me.
Is there a non destructive way to get a non ferrous coupling perhaprs from somewhere other than Bachamnn for my Dapol/Airfix wagons rather than adding a new screw and screw hole?
I lept at Bachmann as those are what I know to be non ferrous but is there an alternative the could just slide in for the BK uncoupling method.
Or would just changing the actual hook only for a Bachmann one work? Would they even fit?

Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:32 am

Quick bump on the last couple of questions as my Dapol limited edition wagon collection is growing. :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:13 pm

I have found a Dapol 7 plank chassis - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-WCHASS0 ... GnY7Y6UEZQ
I'm wondering wether replacing the whole chassis would work. Has anyone replaced thier Dapol chassis for one of these or another from Dapol chassis with NEM couplings?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”