Station access tickets

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
jmelville

Re: Station access tickets

Postby jmelville » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:52 pm

End2end wrote:Smart cards, what a load of milk manufacturers meard!
Remember phone cards that were to eliminate the need for cash for a phone call? Yes they didn't work either yet they STILL seem to appear in the most inhospitable places possible with no shop around for miles to buy a phone card. FAIL!
London buses... if I need to get on one ill be paying cash. If refused then they will have to "try" to remove me.
Make it complicated for us and we'll hold you up. What's that old saying.. "money talks and rural field rugs walk" or something like that.
Thanks
End2end

Inhospitable places. LOL I guess you mean nice quiet country places. I know where I prefer to live, and I don't have to put up with London Transport or the rude and disrespectful people who live there. And I was born a cockney. Not many of them left in London is there. Far as I can make out they all moved to the nice country places. (inhospitable) Let modern London get on with it. LOL.

jmelville

Postby jmelville » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:54 pm

What we doing talking about buses and telephones, thought this was some poor chap just asking if one could still buy a Platform ticket. LOL..........John

The older I get the dafter I get.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:35 pm

Same as me jmelville. London born and dragged up lol. Moved to the country in 2000.
In fact the platfrom ticket I mentioned earlier was actually at Streatham Common station when I used to live there.
And in response to Jivebunny, It's not CONVENIENT for me to be tracked wherever I go thank you very much! If transport systems want to earn profit maybe they should stop giving our fares away to forgeign companies who own most of our bloody transport systems. :(
Anyone remember GREAT Britain?...yes it was that country we used to live in that we sold to everyone else. :lol: or :x
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

jivebunny

Postby jivebunny » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:02 pm

End2end wrote:And in response to Jivebunny, It's not CONVENIENT for me to be tracked wherever I go thank you very much!

Well in that case I hope you've never used a credit or debit card, or even a chequebook for that matter as your bank will still know what you've spent and where 8)

End2end wrote:If transport systems want to earn profit maybe they should stop giving our fares away to forgeign companies who own most of our bloody transport systems. :(
Anyone remember GREAT Britain?...yes it was that country we used to live in that we sold to everyone else.

What on earth has that got to do with anything (not least platform tickets)? If you don't want foreign companies operating in the UK then presumably you also think it's unacceptable for British companies to do business abroad. What good do you think that would do to our economy? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot! British companies are allowed to bid for the franchises and concessions here and abroad just as foreign companies are. Stagecoach, Virgin, First and others have no problem putting in bids that are convincing and competitive enough to win tenders, and if other British companies want to do the same it's very simple, all they need to do is beat the competition. I don't really see what would be "great" about managing our transport networks with an attitude along the lines of "well we've determined that X company would be the most suitable to run X franchise for X years, but we'd rather mess it up by handing it to a less able company because they have the convincing argument of owning British passports".

JB

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:13 pm

Well let's hope other companies take heed of some of the model railway compaines and bring manufacturing back to Britain so we can have some JOBS. Remember those? :shock: :D
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

jivebunny

Postby jivebunny » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:30 pm

End2end wrote:Well let's hope other companies take heed of some of the model railway compaines and bring manufacturing back to Britain so we can have some JOBS. Remember those? :shock: :D

Which model railway companies? All the major ones manufacture in China. Union Mills produce some brilliant little locos in the UK but with a major difference in quality to the main manufacturers. They could all bring manufacturing back to the UK but then they'd lose customers because they'd have to increase prices to cover their increased costs, so instead of having the manufacturing in China and the management jobs in the UK, you'd end up having no jobs in the UK at all because the company would no longer have a viable business. Some smaller French suppliers do their manufacturing in France and the end result is you can find yourself paying £250 for a locomotive, or £60 for a coach. That's fine if you're rolling in money or you only have space for a shelf layout but I suspect most modellers wouldn't be too happy with those sorts of prices.

JB

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:37 pm

Just to bring the topic "back on track" if you'll excuse the pun :lol:
Do let us know how you get on with the platform ticket alex3410, and we want a full report on TASTE factor upon mission success!
I lurvs me a paastee my ansom! :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”