Dapol caternary.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Marcus

Dapol caternary.

Postby Marcus » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:56 am

:D Hi all. I have just taken delivery of my class 350 4 car Emu, absolutely love this loco. as this would normally operate via its Pantograph or 3rd rail system in real life, would this look out of place running without Caternary gantries on my layout, or if I fitted the non functioning ones from Dapol without the wires, would this still look out of place. Just wondering if anyone has used these from Dapol and if so, what would be the max distance in n scale be between masts. Thx :roll:

Bigmet

Re: Dapol catenary.

Postby Bigmet » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:06 am

Most people run electrics without the power supply modelled, so don't let it worry you unduly.

The right spacing, in reality in the UK 60m between masts is normal on plain track, can go as far as 70m. So that's 360mm for the normal spacing in N. Don't forget that there are many locations where masts are more closely spaced. Set them up and try spacings until you get an appearance that pleases you. Adding 'the knitting' - I'd suggest not - it is hard to get it anywhere near scale appearance in N. the masts or portals will suggest it is there. The problem re-doubles on curves; it takes very close spacing to keep the wire over the track, and curved wire following the curve is a total no-no. IMO.

Third rail is a little less of a challenge, but still rarely seen.

Bufferstop

Re: Dapol caternary.

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:59 am

I would guess that an imitation 3rd rail would actually be more trouble to install than non working masts. You can have masts without wires and particularly in N it isn't obvious. I f you insist on wires then use fine elastic thread, it's more forgiving if you snag it. Downside to wires is that on bends almost any radius is that the posts need to be much closer to keep the wires within reach of the pan heads, with perhaps a portal frame at the very centre of the curve. Without wires you can always rationalise that the curve is held in place by pull off wires connected to a strain wire running between the posts. just as invisible in N as the conductor wire.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:59 pm

I'm thinking of installing overhead wires on my outer loop and into two of the sidings. It will be a dummy system, and - as above - may forgoe the actual cables, or even just use cotton.

The real part of this question is that, with modern OO-scale models with pantographs, can you manually set the pantograph's extention so it almost touches the imaginary overhead wires?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:25 pm

If there's no way provided to keep the pan just below the wires, a very fine wire or thread tied between the underside of the head and the base should do the trick.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:22 pm

A nice and simple way to do it.
:)

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:18 pm

Marcus wrote::D Hi all. I have just taken delivery of my class 350 4 car Emu, absolutely love this loco. as this would normally operate via its Pantograph or 3rd rail system in real life, would this look out of place running without Caternary gantries on my layout, or if I fitted the non functioning ones from Dapol without the wires, would this still look out of place. Just wondering if anyone has used these from Dapol and if so, what would be the max distance in n scale be between masts. Thx :roll:

The following photo is from my latest 'abandoned' project. There are no wires on it, just the catenary posts. I personally think the lack of wires is noticeable, but I could live without them.

The problem with wires is the effort you'd have to go to to make it look right. There are so many little details that would bring it to life, but they'd be so fiddly in N gauge that you'd probably end up going crazy trying to fit them. If you left it as the bare minimum you'd probably wish you'd tried to get more done.

For distance between the posts, there is a set of maximum and minimum distances on the real railway, I went for about two coach lengths around pointwork and curves. That's probably a little short for most real places, but I think it is acceptable because of the radius of the pointwork in N gauge. On straight track, I think around three coach lengths would be ideal.

Bufferstop wrote:If there's no way provided to keep the pan just below the wires, a very fine wire or thread tied between the underside of the head and the base should do the trick.

Not sure about the 350, but certainly other Farish electrics will need to have a 'restrained' pantograph for the Dapol catenary masts.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”