Old paint removal

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
mcnaugg

Old paint removal

Postby mcnaugg » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:22 pm

I have an old Triang loco that I acquired many years ago. It is still sitting in my To Do box because it had been re-painted, if that is the right description, when I got it and it is a mess. I would like to attempt to remove the old paint and have a go at redoing it with an airbrush that I been given.

My problems is how to remove the old paint without damaging the plastic body. From its age I would guess that the paint used would be late fifties Humbrol or Airfix. I seem to remember reading that somebody used Oven Cleaner to do a similar task however there are Oven Cleaners and there are Oven Cleaners.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gareth

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: Old paint removal

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:26 pm

As you've said, oven cleaner does it, get one with some oomph like Mr Muscle and let the body soak in there for a few hours, then was in soapy water and scrape paint off with toothbrush, and repeat if necessary.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:28 pm

Mr muscle oven cleaner works. So does Fairy powerspray. I've used caustic soda my self, which is quite cheap if you can find anywhere that sells it nowadays.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:56 pm

Another vote for oven cleaner - i did it for a similar project the first post here shows the results and have used it many times with brilliant results - sometimes it can take a little while to shift the paint! Another handy tip is to grab a old tooth brush or tesco value one to scrub the excess off as it can help shift the old paint.

make sure you use gloves while handling it as its nasty stuff

Tesco do one in an orange box (cant remember brand) for £4 with oven cleaner gloves and a heavy duty bag which makes the whole process easier!

good luck with it and let us know how you get on :)

peterws7

Postby peterws7 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:43 pm

Brake hydraulic fluid. I`ve used it several times on one loco (J94) It`s taken the old stuff off to the bare plastic. This engine was maroon-ish when I got it. Now it`s back to what I wanted. The body actually looks discoloured when the stripper had done it`s job, But a rubbing with a paper towel (no other stuff added) brings a nice sheen.

sparkhill

Postby sparkhill » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:14 pm

Brake fluid does the job OK but BEWARE other people, never use brake fluid on Kato locos etc as it melts the plastic.
Regards
Nobby

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:27 pm

Does anyone know what might strip the green stuff (paint doesn't describe it) from Triang diecast columns for platform canopies. None of the usual suspects seem to touch it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:39 pm

If they're not plastic you can really go for it, nitromors perhaps, that's what we use in the paint shop at Winchcombe i brushes are really gunked up.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

whynot

Postby whynot » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:54 pm

FWIW I spent a solid hour yesterday skimming many discussions on this very subject! I concluded that the majority vote was won by brake fluid (Dot 4) and have purchased accordingly. I should be able to give my verdict tomorrow!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:02 pm

I wrote:Does anyone know what might strip the green stuff (paint doesn't describe it) from Triang diecast columns for platform canopies. None of the usual suspects seem to touch it.

FS123 wrote:If they're not plastic you can really go for it, nitromors perhaps, that's what we use in the paint shop at Winchcombe i brushes are really gunked up.

I'll have to give it another try. They are a total puzzle, Triang spent a fair bit of cash making the dies for these, they even have the twiddly scroll bits in the corners of the T, then they ruin the effect by smothering them in a ghastly green stuff that hides the detail. I suspect they were dipped rather than sprayed.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:39 pm

Yep, DOT4, brake fluid, £4 a litre from Halfords, for plastic, leave completely submerged for 24 hours. Nitromors 'Craftsman' paint stripper for metal, leave for a few hours.

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:09 am

Nail varnish remover worked for me on a Farish body, but it doesn't take long to work- several 30 second dips in it is sufficient.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:29 pm

Has anyone used Fairy Power Spray recently for paint stripping? There seem to be suggestions on other forums that it no longer works?

I'm trying to remove Hornby factory paint on a coach roof which Modelstrip doesn't seem to touch. Modelstrip is fine on enamels, but seems to struggle with acrylics, so I'm hoping Fairy Power Spray might do the job.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:20 pm

Sorry never stripped Acrylics.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:37 pm

In desperation I had another go with Modelstrip last night and given it 25 minutes with Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner this morning. Neither of them have had any effect on the paint :( .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”