Hornby or Bachmann 08?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Tiddles

Hornby or Bachmann 08?

Postby Tiddles » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:08 pm

I suspect this has been debated many times so sorry if it is a repeat :)

Thinking of getting a DCC OO 08 but not sure weather to go Hornby or Bachmann :?

Personally I am a big fan of Bachmann products as 90% of my American fleet is Bachmann :D

So which way to go :?:
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”

Bufferstop

Re: Hornby or Bachmann 08?

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:10 pm

From all of the reports I've seen they are close enough to say go with what you know.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

SRman

Postby SRman » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:44 pm

My twopence worth: both are very good models and smooth, quiet runners with heavy flywheels. The Hornby one is ahead on detail (separate radiator slats, interior cab detail, opening cab doors - useful to pose a shunter in the doorway). Neither has lights. The Hornby detail comes at a price, as the Bachmann ones are usually a little cheaper, Hornby a little dearer.

Hornby have offered two variants that I know of with high-level pipes as well - a boon for Southern Region modellers.

So, with most things being equal, it boils down to slightly less detail, lower price, versus slightly more detail, higher price. As Bufferstop suggests, it may be better for you to stick with what you know. In my opinion, I like the extra detail on the Hornby ones, but mechanically there is nothing to choose between them. I have examples from both manufacturers.

If you like sound, Hornby offer some sound-fitted versions too. The sound project is not particularly good but it is easy to get that reblown - mine has legomanbiffo sounds in it now.

Brossard

Postby Brossard » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:58 am

Actually Jeff, there is something. I installed DCC sound in my Hornby 08 (agree about the detail, very good indeed), but it would chronically stall over points (frustrating because it has to go through the startup cycle every time). I tried a lot of things to improve pickup and even get some flexibility on one axle but it was all to no avail. The Bachmann 08 now has the sound decoder and runs much better. The big difference is that the center axle is sprung on the Bachmann, giving it a fighting chance to get through pointwork. If you're running plain DCC or analogue, performance might be better.

John
John

SRman

Postby SRman » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:42 am

Hi John. I had forgotten about the sprung centre axle on Bachmann's one. However, I tested all of my track, when I was laying it, with the Hornby 08 and eliminated any places that caused problems. In particular, I used the Hornby 09 to run over all of the points when I was setting the polarity switching using Peco micro-switches - the 08/09 wheelbase sits within the potential dead spots.

One of my Bachmann examples was an early production version and had no DCC socket and the troublesome wheel-top pickups. Later ones don't have these features to cause problems.

Tiddles

Postby Tiddles » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:15 pm

I went for the Bachmann one. It is a model of 08011 Haversham as used on a local heritage railway.
Getting the body off was a bit of a fiddle at first but found a step by step guide on the web so will be easy next time.

A Hattons direct pin (no wires) decoder fits perfectly in the front.
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed May 13, 2015 3:57 am

I already had a weathered BR late crest Bachmann 08 but the opportunity came to pick up a cheap unrun(?) Hornby late crest 08, so I jumped at the chance. It may have been unrun but was certainly not new in that some detail pieces had fallen off with but a few still remaining in the box. The Hornby is a highly detailed model and when I did get it to run eventually it ran beautifully (somehow the worm drive had disengaged from the idler gear). I decided to add a decoder (basic Hornby 8-pin) from a Railroad 'Mallard'. With the 'Mallard' factory CV settings the loco ran superbly, although if max power setting was used the loco would take about 30 cms to come to a halt so one had to drive it carefully to avoid overrunning obstacles like rolling stock and bufferstops. At lower power settings the loco responded immediately to reduced power settings.

On the basic decoder the loco just crawled along with no hesitation over point frogs. An excellent model and worth every cent that I paid (which was not many).

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”