Wagon loads

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
NickB

Wagon loads

Postby NickB » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:03 pm

Ay up all, been a while since I posted but I have a question. One of my favourite areas in railway modelling is wagons, from private owner right through to nationalisation. I need some inspiration so I can do some loads for mine and some ideas. So, if anyone can put up some pics it would be great! Thanks all, Nick. :-)

glencairn

Re: Wagon loads

Postby glencairn » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:33 pm

I am not at home 'til tomorrow, so cannot post any pictures.

If you look at the many photos put on this site (in the various threads), there are many wagons showing various loads.

Don't forget, tarpaulined wagons can hide a number of loads. Then there are the wagons that had small containers on them.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:35 pm

There's a couple of loads on page 13 of my "BNR" layout thread.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:26 pm

These are made up from chain, strip wood and old pocket-watch parts. The bolt heads are n gauge track pins.

I posted this elsewhere on here recently - the gun is a Bofors from Oxford Diecast.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:37 pm

If you're making loads for open wagons, one method I've found useful is to assemble the load onto a false floor. This can be a thin piece of wood painted the same colour as the interior of the wagon. That way you can take the whole load in and out easily. For example, I have a load of oil drums aboard the Hornby 'pounsberry' wagon.

Timber loads can be represented easily by using a few flat pieces of wood scored to represent individual planks. Stack these up diagonally in an open wagon so they slightly overhang one end.

Some more inspiration here: https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Articles/357-13/Rolling_Stock/Neil_Sullivan_-_Wagons_roll/ :)
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:18 am

brilliant thread idea will be watching with interest as its something i have been meaning to ask :D

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:38 am

glencairn wrote:...Don't forget, tarpaulined wagons can hide a number of loads...

Sound advice. A large proportion of loaded general merchandise opens should be tarped or sheeted over. If the wagon hasn't got a sheet rail, then it just 'humps over' the load within. Small blocks of expanded polystyrene make the load that will be hidden by the tarp, for very little weight. I mostly use loo paper wetted with dilute PVA, and then dark grey brown paint to make tarps.

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:22 pm

One advantage of using a tarpaulin to cover a load is that there's no clue as to what's inside. It would be fun on an exhibition layout to have all sorts of odd shapes hidden by a tarpaulin, and leave it to the viewers' imagination as to what's being carried :)
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

NickB

Postby NickB » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:35 am

Thanks guys, some great ideas here so far, and some good inspiration. Any more for any more?? The pics are great, some top class modelling here!

Pete

Postby Pete » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:39 pm

Hi

A very simple load here, fine coal in N-gauge:

It's made from 180g Wet and Dry with black pastel rubbed in, the 'sparkle' of the W&D gives it a nice anthracite look. I cut it to width, and slightly longer than the wagon, and spring it into place, it gives a nice hump in the middle as if filled from a hopper.

(Just in case anyone recognises them, these are not in fact coal wagons (I believe they were for transporting vehicles), but I wanted to try it out and had these to hand.)

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:14 pm

Can't find my prototype picture, but Cement industry offers a flash of
brightness in the generally drab railway freight scene.
Chalk was carried in Chalk Tipplers, 16 Ton mineral with or without top
flap doors, and in 22/24 ton Iron ore hoppers. The trouble is are you (layout)
on or near chalk ?

May add a prototype picture if I find it on Photobucket. Found !!

Steel industry is good with coke, coal, iron ore, going in and steel in various forms coming out.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”