Small Line Motive Power

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
jackshepherd

Small Line Motive Power

Postby jackshepherd » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:25 pm

hi everyone, as you may know i'm building a heritage railway which has just begun running trains, could i have some advice on what motive power a heritage line would have, its only a small line with maximum 2 coach trains, but both diesel and steam can run. ive already got some ideas but has anyone else got any more please? :D
Cls 03/04, 08
J94
Modelling a railway is a form of art, which means there's no such thing as perfection....

mahoganydog

Re: Small Line Motive Power

Postby mahoganydog » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi Jack,

A Pannier tank of some kind or a Jinty then you start to struggle as many preserved lines have ex industrial locos which are in extremely short supply in RTR format. The only option for an industrial 0-4-0ST for example is a kit and many of them seem to be etched kits which are not a possibility for a novice to attempt much less make them run properly. There is an alternative however; a kit body on an RTR chassis like the Arc Models range. Look for them on Ebay.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:09 pm

DMUs like Class 108s are very popular with Heritage lines because they are very convenient to wake up in the morning and very easy to operate on single track - no running round the train at the end of the line. Not whistfully nostalgic but practical and low cost.

Or a small prairie if you want to work a bit harder.

Last edited by ParkeNd on Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:25 pm

In the same vein, the little four wheel railbus (Heljan) is another useful item. Ridden on one of these several times on the Keighley and Worth Valley during 'low season', it's not just the new start ups that can use some simple and cheap to operate gear. The J94 is the obvious steamer, cheaply available from the NCB and like industrial organisations after BR had ceased to run steam, still fairly numerous so a probable 'loaner'.

Dugie Diesel

Postby Dugie Diesel » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:26 pm

There are the BR shunters as you mentioned, how about the Hornby Sentinal, that comes in a few different liverys and would be good for a repaint if you wanted to. There is always the Hornby pug for steam but i think they are an older model now. I have an 0-6-0 Pannier tank and it runs very well indeed, infact it is one of my favorite smaller loco's. Other smaller diesel loco's could be a class 20, 24, 25, 33 or even an teddy bear :)
Don't mess with my Choo Choo.......

jackshepherd

Postby jackshepherd » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:29 pm

mahoganydog wrote:Hi Jack,

A Pannier tank of some kind or a Jinty then you start to struggle as many preserved lines have ex industrial locos which are in extremely short supply in RTR format. The only option for an industrial 0-4-0ST for example is a kit and many of them seem to be etched kits which are not a possibility for a novice to attempt much less make them run properly. There is an alternative however; a kit body on an RTR chassis like the Arc Models range. Look for them on Ebay.

Jim

Thanks jim, its good that i have the New bachmann 64xx on order for next year, i'm planning on building a plan of the derwent valley railway with the plan that featured in a copy of Model rail.

ParkeNd wrote:DMUs like Class 108s are very popular with Heritage lines because they are very convenient to wake up in the morning and very easy to operate on single track - no running round the train at the end of the line. Not whistfully nostalgic but practical and low cost.

Oh yes i forgot about Dmus and bubble cars :D
Modelling a railway is a form of art, which means there's no such thing as perfection....

jackshepherd

Postby jackshepherd » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Dugie Diesel wrote:There are the BR shunters as you mentioned, how about the Hornby Sentinal, that comes in a few different liverys and would be good for a repaint if you wanted to. There is always the Hornby pug for steam but i think they are an older model now. I have an 0-6-0 Pannier tank and it runs very well indeed, infact it is one of my favorite smaller loco's. Other smaller diesel loco's could be a class 20, 24, 25, 33 or even an teddy bear :)

Thanks Dugie Diesel, I already have a cls 73 so as long as the run round loop can take that... that will be the loco size limit :!:

So my "to Buy" list is:
Bachmann 64xx (on order)
J94
J72 or jinty
Cls 20, 25

Better start saving up :wink:

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:42 pm

On Heritage Lines there are always locomotives in need of repair. see http://www.heritage-railways.com/ . Plastic kits unmotorised are good for that. The same applies to old goods wagons -- Some are used as 'stores' wagons etc. ---- Remember all things are not 'neat and tidy'.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:04 pm

Obviously industrials are the mainstay of newly started preserved railways, Who is it that announced some in many different liveries recently? Alex posted them here, one running and one being restored wouldn't go amiss. Also GWR 5600's pop up quite a lot simply because there were a lot that went to Barry, Swanage, KESR and Bluebell all have one and they aren't even remotely GWR lines. Also for something a little bigger under restoration maybe a larger tank engine like a 4200 or std 4MT tank or a small 0-6-0 or mogul engine. Perhaps something dismantled and stored on several flat wagons, with the boiler wheel sets and frames all separate and looking rather forlorn from something unknown. Anything mentioned inthis thread on NatPres would be a suitable candidate I expect!

Diseasel wise as you say, 03s, 4s, 8s are good starts. Class 14 and 15s would be good, class 20 stretching it, 25 I'd say unlikely looking at the size of it. (Mind you, what I know about diesels could be written on the back of a postage stamp, and still have room for the Lord's Prayer! :lol:)

As glencairn has suggested, you probably want an equal number of plastic kits to running locos, plastic kits are great for engines under overhaul, as they come unassembled you don't have to put them completely together! All wagons on the line should have a relevant purpose, so either for engineering, so ballast and flat wagons, or box vans, with few tankers or open planked wagons, as these aren't very useful to a preserved railway (not that that has stopped plenty of other lines thankfully!) Coaches as we've said Mk 1s and maybe a few 2s in assorted liveries, anything older than that wants to look pretty shot.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:42 pm

Whilst RTR industrials generally are in short supply, the one which isn't is the Austerity/J94*, and the same applies to preservation. The NCB adopted it as it's standard shunter after the war, no doubt influenced by the glut of second hand "one previous owner, hardly ever shot at" ones flooding the market, it continued buying new ones into the 1950s and a lot passed into preservation.

(* Strictly speaking the 'J94' designation only applies to the BR ones).
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:43 pm

There are a few class 73s in preservation which would be an interesting addition. They only have a small diesel engine so are fairly economical to run, but look more impressive than a shunter.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:46 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:Diseasel

Very good! :lol:

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:51 pm

Don't forget the Hornby 0-4-0 Sentinel diesel, small, quiet and very controlable, a bit more unusual than ex BR hulks. For restoration jobs or parts donors, Dapol kits will provide you with , a pug( bit unlikely), J94/Austerity, 04/Drewry and possibly a small prarie, but he Schools, BoB and Prototype Deltic might be stretching credulity a little too far.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:56 pm

That's fifty plus locomotives, two carriages and a coal truck ---- All on six foot by one piece of wood :lol:

Keep us posted Jack :)

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:00 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Don't forget the Hornby 0-4-0 Sentinel diesel, small, quiet and very controlable, a bit more unusual than ex BR hulks. For restoration jobs or parts donors, Dapol kits will provide you with , a pug( bit unlikely), J94/Austerity, 04/Drewry and possibly a small prarie, but he Schools, BoB and Prototype Deltic might be stretching credulity a little too far.

You could probably get away with a BoB if it was in pieces, a no hoper bought by some dreamer "oh it'll be restored one day..."
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”