Wills viaduct kit

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
GWR_fan

Wills viaduct kit

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:28 am

I recently received several new old stock Wills three-arch viaduct kits plus some additional span kits. These may be several years old. The red brick sheeting that forms the underside of the arch is anything but flexible. Any slight deviation from straight and the plastic snaps and crumbles.

Is there a trick to softening the plastic or is it beyond its use by date?

Tim

mahoganydog

Re: Wills viaduct kit

Postby mahoganydog » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:35 am

Hi Tim,

I had the same problem. I've no idea why Wills chose to use such cheap and very nasty plastic; these were new stock and had not been sat round in the sun for ages. The only way I could get it to bend was to leave it in very hot water (from the tap NOT the kettle!) for a few seconds then try and get it into place before it cooled down again but even then some still cracked.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:35 am

Jim,
the method I used today was to place 0.020" styrene with bevelled edges into the arch to form the underside. The brittle plastic was then trimmed to size and glue overlayed onto the styrene. There is just enough edge depth on the 'stone' arch so that the red plastic does not stand proud, finishing flush with the arch.

Tim

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:46 am

On brittle plastic...
Some is worse than others but all loses plasticiser over time.

I have had some success, (after the first messy accident) putting some resilience back into brittle plastic, where it has been important, by giving the part in question a spray of Servisol or other brand of swithc cleaner and then allowing it to dry untouched.

I knew about the plasticiser loss from years working with spectacle frames.
I found out about the Servisol by giving the gears of an old loco a spray clean with the body still in place, and finding I had left clear fingerprints of appreciable depth in the surface of the side-tanks.
(the opposite of a *raised* fingerprint with superglue!)

Lightly sprayed on and allowed to fully evaporate dry, *something* of the cleaner seems to stay with the plastic living it in somewhat better condition less fragile and brittle.

I've made some old Faller 4-wheel coaches usable this way, where the axleboxes had become to prone to breaking off.

At your own risk.
(try it on a broken scrap first, perhaps, for your plastic?)

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:09 am

Chris,
thankyou for the information.

I viewed a viaduct assembly You-tube video in which the modeller was twisting the Wills plastic up almost 720 degrees to get the required curve of the arch. He was rolling the plastic within itself. The original as released from the mould plastic may be pliable but then one never knows how old a kit is buying even from a retailer. If a slow moving item then it may languish on the shelf for years.

Tim

Brossard

Postby Brossard » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:22 pm

Tim, if the Wills plastic has becomes brittle and I found the same when trying to salvage some brick arches, I suggest the pieces be remanufactured. If you face Evergreen or Slater's sheet (or similar) with Slater's or SE Finecast embossed plastic sheets, I think you'll find that these parts would be quite flexible. Finecast do some embossed arches that may be useful. There's a good variety of brick and stone style.

Even when new, Wills sheets are difficult to work with and I usually do as I stated above for buildings.

John
John

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:54 pm

I have built a several arch wills kit viaduct, have found that in some of the kits the brick sheet snapped, no matter how gently you apply pressure, and in most, newer kits and replacement sheeting, the plastic was very pliable, to the extent that you could easily roll it into a tube? My guess is you have received a batch of older kits, and that maybe over time, the plastic used, or maybe a certain batch run of moulds means that this problem exists.

I have built both oo and n gauge versions over the last few years and have found this problem to be quite irksome, but persevere with it, the kits when built are quite delightful.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Thankyou all. The grey stone pieces are fine, it is just the thin red brick sheeting for the underside of the arch that is a nuisance. I can work around it. As Terrier says, the kits are worth persevering with.

Tim

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”