The sun is out!

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Boxcar Willie

The sun is out!

Postby Boxcar Willie » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:41 am

A very rare sight indeed in my part of Ireland - the "Sunny South-East". That's a relative term really as we are under a marginally less depth of water than the rest of the country but it's got me thinking about garden railways. My house is an old council house and dates from the days when tenants were blessed with a decent sized garden. There is plenty room both to the front and to the rear and it's got me thinking. I've long planned to convert the loft but wouldn't it be simpler to slap down some track and play with trains on the odd sunny day?

Has anybody on here got a garden railway? How does it run? Live steam or batteries? I have a notion that either would be great as you wouldn't have to clean the track - except for the odd leaf...

There's a chap across the road (he's a member of my local club) who has a large scale one that you can sit on. His son filmed him falling off after a few jars one night but sadly the video has yet to appear on Youtube.

mjb1961

Re: The sun is out!

Postby mjb1961 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:37 am

You need to buy hornby magazine July issue ,out in the shops NOW ,free garden railway supplement ,!,,,might give you some ideas,,,,,mjb

Edit,,,I'm not sure about live steam ,well the hornby one ,my father in law has one and I think is still needs clean tracks to operate ,I e ,the current is taken from the track to heat the water in the loco boiler ,but it is only an ,I think !

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:01 am

Garden railway section on this forum. Lots of tips there. Be prepared for regular maintenance

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:35 pm

I have a G gauge garden railway, runs in the same way my OO one does, power through the tracks. almost never need to clean it, the metal is quite good. it was sat in the garage over winter and when I got it out in the spring it was virtually faultless, only thing I needed was some more wire for a couple of droppers around the track. I inherited three different types of track, marklin, peco and piko track, all 45mm, but different scales. I wouldn't recommend the marklin as unless you plan on screwing it on wooden boards or similar, the fish-plates are very very flimsy and pretty rubbish. the peco track is quite good, but it is actually narrow gauge in a different scale, can' remember what now. It goes together well though. however, of the three I'd say the Piko is the best, it goes together very well indeed, and is also sturdy. it is also compatible with bachmann and LGB, meaning that if you want to go British you can modify the bachmann Thomas stuff. Piko rolling stock does not work on marklin track due to flanges on the rolling stock catching on the chairs of the marklin rail..
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Boxcar Willie

Postby Boxcar Willie » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:54 pm

I will purchase the Hornby magazine on the morrow; the sun is still out and is expected to remain so for a week at least. It is quite edifying to see my fellow Irishmen crawling out of their hiding places and scraping the mould off themselves as they gaze, steaming, at the great light from the sky. The farmers have begun to complain already; whereas it had hitherto been to wet for them it is now too dry. If this keeps up we may very well have to adopt a continental lifestyle - instead of hearty bowls of porridge and big fry-ups in the mornings we'll have to have croissants with our cup of tay. The afternoon siesta we are in enthusiastic agreement with along with wine on the way to work.

I may see my local member of parliament about getting a law passed banning the wearing of lederhosen. They don't look well with Aran sweaters and wellies. :oops:

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:25 pm

It's 27c here now. We have a yellow warning for this afternoon for 30c plus. That's track buckling weather.
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”