The hardships of modelling...

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Boxcar Willie

The hardships of modelling...

Postby Boxcar Willie » Tue May 27, 2014 2:38 am

A while back I was crowing here about my success in turning an SR N-Class into an Irish CIE Mogul; removal of the smoke deflectors, a change of decals and a bit of weathering and the job was done. It turned out rather better than I expected hence the crowing. It was so good that another member of our club gave me another one to convert; he plans to run it on the club's new Irish outline layout which is nearing completion.

All very fine and jolly - by way of payment he gave me a coach to play around with. It's one of those restaurant coaches with the six wheeled bogies - LMS I think - and a similar one ran on Irish rails for quite some time. I decided to paint it up in early 1950s CIE livery and this is when the fun started. It had already received a coat of some kind of paint and all attempts to remove it were unsuccessful. I even tried Nitromors which proved efficacious only at melting the bit of plastic that I tried it out on. I didn't want to overspray the model as the detail would disappear under successive coats of paint but this is what I ended up doing. I gave the whole thing a coat of Vallejio dark green which looked fine in the shop but which turned out to be more SR than the CIE grey green that I was striving for.

There was then a change of plan - I'd keep the dark green as it was quite close to the late 1950s green so I would paint one stripe of light green under the windows instead of stripes above and below which is what the earlier livery would have carried. I stuck some Tamiya masking tape on and slapped a stripe on. Then I removed the tape and - lo and behold - a perfect light green stripe. Further lo-ing and beholding revealed that quite a lot of my green paint had come away with the tape. Even more lo-ing and beholding revealed that the earlier paint - the stuff I couldn't strip - had come away as well leaving lots of exposed LMS burgundy plastic.

OK. I open another bottle of beer and touch up the dodgy paint. Then I try to refit the glazing that I had removed earlier. It was thick and crude stuff but would suffice for the moment - flush glazing is the last thing on my mind as I try to glue it back using Contacta Clear. I might as well have tried to glue it with diluted Horlicks. The stuff simply fell out. I was obliged to go for the polystyrene stuff and glued the glazing in again using clothes pegs to give a bit of extra grip.

I've ended up with something that may or may not have existed in the real world - it vaguely resembles a Bredin coach and to hell with it. I'll paint up the interior tomorrow and give it a bit of weathering.

hiffano

Re: The hardships of modelling...

Postby hiffano » Tue May 27, 2014 12:17 pm

I cannot tell a lie, I may have giggled at the removal of masking tape.
been there, done that....
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue May 27, 2014 1:22 pm

Yes, a full wax job for the next paint stripping comes to mind!

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Tue May 27, 2014 1:25 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:Yes, a full wax job for the next paint stripping comes to mind!

I just don't see how a back, sack and crack helps your painting....
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue May 27, 2014 2:15 pm

hiffano wrote:

That's just for cissies - stick it on and pull it off all over I say.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue May 27, 2014 2:21 pm

hiffano wrote:I cannot tell a lie, I may have giggled at the removal of masking tape.
been there, done that....

Most irritatingly it happens on the full size things too if you're not careful.

hiffano wrote:
Ex-Pat wrote:Yes, a full wax job for the next paint stripping comes to mind!

I could have put money on it coming to that...
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Boxcar Willie

Postby Boxcar Willie » Wed May 28, 2014 1:10 am

I had more fun trying to run the thing on the club's test track. The three-axle bogies didn't like the 2nd radius curves on the inner track; neither did they like the 3rd radius curves on the outer track (there are two concentrically arranged tracks with a further 9mm track squeezed into the middle).

I then found that one of my CIE liveried Bachmann coaches didn't like the straight bits - we sat and watched as a rake of coaches running behind the converted SR N-Class I was crowing about earlier ran with the H&M controller set at high resistance for slow running. For no apparent reason one bogie slowly and lazily lifted at one end in the manner of an old dog lifting his leg on a hot day in an exercise performed more from habit than necessity.

A fellow club member then went out to his car and returned with a little jam jar full of bits. The importance of the humble jam jar cannot be over-emphasised in the world of modelling (nor, indeed, in the world of jam). From his jam jar my friend produced some little weights of the type used for balancing alloy wheels. They're not the old-fashioned lead ones with a little clip but are flat little ingots with glue on one side and can be attached nearly anywhere to anything simply by peeling off a piece of backing tape. They can be hidden inside a wagon or coach or if you stick them to the under frame a dollop of paint will hide them easily. They transformed the attitude of my coaches from recalcitrant to obliging faster than Fast Fergus O'Fast - winner of the All-Ireland Fast Competition.

They are a godsend and I intend to scrounge a few more from my local tyre fitter's soon. Do be aware that if you add a couple to each coach the weight soon builds up but as Irish trains in the 1960s (my preferred modelling period) were generally quite short this shouldn't be a problem.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”