Triang R357 diesel

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
modeler

Triang R357 diesel

Postby modeler » Thu May 08, 2014 8:26 pm

I have a r357 diesel locomotive been sat for a while has new bushes but is running strange it seems as tho its intermittant sometimes it goes fast then very slow and jumpy and not atall then picks up again but doesn't want to run properly was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to possibilities or cures?

mahoganydog

Re: Triang R357 diesel

Postby mahoganydog » Thu May 08, 2014 9:03 pm

Hi,

Sounds like the magnet is getting weak and if this is the case running it like that will soon burn out the armature. I have got brushes hot enough to melt the solder holding the brush head on due to a weak magnet. Some makes of modern controller make the problem worse so remember; old model old controller then there will be no problems.

Modern replacement magnets are available on ebay for most models and will transform the performace.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

modeler

Postby modeler » Thu May 08, 2014 10:26 pm

mahoganydog wrote:Hi,

Sounds like the magnet is getting weak and if this is the case running it like that will soon burn out the armature. I have got brushes hot enough to melt the solder holding the brush head on due to a weak magnet. Some makes of modern controller make the problem worse so remember; old model old controller then there will be no problems.

Modern replacement magnets are available on ebay for most models and will transform the performace.

Jim

Hi Jim thank for that i did notice the motor was getting rather warm although i never thought the modern controller wouldnt help it.
Nick

Boxcar Willie

Postby Boxcar Willie » Fri May 09, 2014 12:23 am

Do be careful when replacing magnets - I fitted one of those new-fangled neo-molybdenumiumum magnets in an old Hornby 8f and whilst it positively galloped around the club's test track there was a smell of burning not unlike that emitted by Dr. Beeching whenever Old Nick gives him another prod of his toasting fork.

If the magnet is too strong it will probably burn out an old armature as well - they're best used in moderation.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Fri May 09, 2014 10:05 am

modeler wrote:Hi Jim thank for that i did notice the motor was getting rather warm although i never thought the modern controller wouldnt help it.
Nick

Hi Nick,

Some makes of modern controller are not fully rectified from AC to DC and as a result have AC spikes in the DC output which causes the magnets to demagnetize.

Boxcar Willie wrote:Do be careful when replacing magnets - I fitted one of those new-fangled neo-molybdenumiumum magnets in an old Hornby 8f and whilst it positively galloped around the club's test track there was a smell of burning not unlike that emitted by Dr. Beeching whenever Old Nick gives him another prod of his toasting fork.

If the magnet is too strong it will probably burn out an old armature as well - they're best used in moderation.

Did you have the magnet aligned properly? If not you may have 'advanced' the timing assuming it's one of the ringfield motor variety. This may sound daft but on some R/C car race motors you could increase performance by adjusting the timing which also makes a difference to the current drain. A correctly fitted magnet will not burn out the armature but it won't help a bit if the damage has already been done.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri May 09, 2014 10:15 am

modeler wrote:...it goes fast then very slow and jumpy and not at all then picks up again but doesn't want to run properly...

Electric motors are very simple things, they go when they get current, at a rate proportional to the amount of current. What you are describing there is unreliable electrical supply to the motor, could be one or more faults from wheels and pick ups through all the connections in the circuit, to oil on the motor brushes and commutator. How does the motor run supplied directly by connections to the brushes?

modeler

Postby modeler » Fri May 09, 2014 6:22 pm

Bigmet wrote:
modeler wrote:...it goes fast then very slow and jumpy and not at all then picks up again but doesn't want to run properly...

Electric motors are very simple things, they go when they get current, at a rate proportional to the amount of current. What you are describing there is unreliable electrical supply to the motor, could be one or more faults from wheels and pick ups through all the connections in the circuit, to oil on the motor brushes and commutator. How does the motor run supplied directly by connections to the brushes?

when i apply power direct to the motor it works fine and even when power is supplied to the wheels now i did wonder whether it could be the track causing the issue but every other engine i have runs fine on my rails including my jinty which is almost as old as the track

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”