Figures for OO scale Model railways

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
garth45

Figures for OO scale Model railways

Postby garth45 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:31 am

As a wargamer , I would say that one of my strengths is figure painting . I have to say this but I have seen many fantastic looking layouts that appear to be let down in my eye with poor figures generally figures that have wooden looking poses and just painted in base colours without detailing with highlights and washes etc.

Looking through some ranges like Peco( old Merit I think) and Dapol it doesn't give me a lot of confidence, with figures that were originally introduced in the 60s and looking very tired as regards detail. I really would have difficulty here with these to make them look good.

Therefore just wondering is there any modern ranges of figures available in 1/76th scale or are the best figures still the 1/87th scale produced by the likes of Noch and Preiser ?

Dad-1

Re: Figures for OO scale Model railways

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:01 am

The limited range of Bachmann figures are good, well good enough for me, but I can understand
someone with very high figure standards may think the are just about O.K. I use 1/87 figures
from the various European manufacturers although one has to pick with care as some are too
short.
Using 1/87 is acceptable as firstly people come in different sizes, but also if they are behind a
vieving position they can offer a perspective change effect.
The basics, you are right we could do with a big range of genuine 4 mm figures.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:17 am

Although N gauge is my vice this is something I will have get around to one day. Although a 5ft 9in person in N gauge must be only about 11mm high so maybe I can get away with a poly bag of 500 Chinamen for £5 especially if I leave my glasses off.

This is one of those times when OO is more demanding.

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:25 am

Geoff hit the nail on the head... For us Railway Modellers the Railway and it's stock is the main attraction, people are just background detail, hence our lower standards when it comes to populating our layouts. I'm just as guilty as ParkeNd in this respect... I'd rather have a decent overall picture with decent stock than spend my valuable time detailing small figures which will only be background to the main attraction...

That's not to say I don't see where you are coming from, Garth, just I (and I suspect most RM's) have very different priorities to Wargamers!

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:40 am

Having seen your response on pin washing Garth45 I can see how into detail you are - and this does seem a very valid use of a well honed skill. My own response was more about the invisibility of fine detail in N gauge especially when a bit older. But on OO I reckon you have a point. Were Vlad The Impaler to travel on colleague b308s railway I would support you in him looking good - none of this all over Humbrol Flesh stuff.

I too will take it on board.

dubbleojon

Postby dubbleojon » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:27 am

THere are a number of suppliers of OO white metal figures about which can be bought to paint yourself and I think the detail levels are quite good.
Have used dart castings http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/ and been happy with them and another of which the name escapes me at the moment, also found these on google which look very good. http://www.modelrailwayfigures00.co.uk/

garth45

Postby garth45 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:03 pm

Thanks- They are a bit more like it :D

garth45

Postby garth45 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:37 pm

Incidently using modern Wargames painting techniques , a hundred professionally looking figures that would be enough to populate most people layouts would take approx 2 weeks to do , done in batches .

I have already E Mailed Will Townsend of Plastic Soldier Company for his input , as I can see a potential market here . His wargaming figures cost £12.95 for around 60 unpainted figures which I think is within many peoples budgets . :D

garth45

Postby garth45 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:09 pm

Just received a positive reply from Plastic Soldier and he will look into it .

Just wondering if you guys are actually happy with what's currently available? Or would you prefer a new player in the market to bring in plastic 1/76th scale model figs which will have a degree of posability with them such has arm swaps and head swaps etc. Construction will be easy with polycement .

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:46 pm

Our happiness level with the supply of figures for 1:76 (4mm/ft) is never going to be very high when we can see the huge range available in H0 scale. That's one of the consequences we have to bear for not switching the H0 once the problem of small enough motors had been cracked. That said there have been some well made figures produced. The current Bachmann and Hornby offerings are much better than the former Merrit figures now sold through Peco. There's an excelent if slightly overscale unpainted set from Dapol (ex Airfix) and a second set which look skinny even for H0, but they are now '50s '60s period pieces. More modern types of similar quality would go down well with many UK modellers, even better if they could be produced in hot water malleable plastic.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

garth45

Postby garth45 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:50 pm

Just glad I chose the West Highland/Highland then were there are perhaps more sheep and deer than people :lol:

LittleSkink

Postby LittleSkink » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:55 am

thinking about ordering these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P75W-100pcs-Model-Trains-1-75-Painted-Figures-OO-SCALE-/161022207409?hash=item257dabe5b1:m:mF7myQdkM0xwmraHh6hqC_g

but dont want to get stung for VAT and Post Office surcharge - anyone know what the limits are these days (it used to be £18 max before charges - and the charges were £8 minimum!)

open to ordering from other suppliers if there is something better out there mind

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:35 am

I've not used them but have bought from several other Chinese sellers and they seem to get through our customs without any issue. Someone said on another thread that there's some sort of lower limit where they don't bother (£15?)... Bear in mind they are very crude and painted in some unusual colours... Good as background figures though... They come in a little plastic bag all stick together!

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:37 am

You can get 3d printed figures scanned from real people now

http://www.modelu3d.co.uk

Quality is superb and you can get yourself scanned too.

HTH

Jim

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:44 am

garth45 wrote:Incidently using modern Wargames painting techniques

That's not always a good thing. At some point in the past some war gamers lost sight of what the were trying to replicate and now the style looks far too exagerated and cartoon like. All this heavy shading they use bears no relation at all to how a figure looks from about 100 feet away and most model railway figures are viewed from an awful lot further away than that.

Cheers

Jim
Last edited by Jim S-W on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”