Figures for OO scale Model railways

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
b308

Re: Figures for OO scale Model railways

Postby b308 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:58 am

Entirely agree, Jim, I don't see them as looking at all realistic when they are painted in that way...

Jim S-W wrote:You can get 3d printed figures scanned from real people now

http://www.modelu3d.co.uk

Quality is superb and you can get yourself scanned too.

Damned expensive if you want a few dozen, though! And then you have to paint them!

Boxcar Willie

Postby Boxcar Willie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:33 pm

I'm quite happy to use the cheap and cheerful Chinese ones - they're great for populating coaches but the garish colours need toning down - as well as the fact that being Chinese all the figures seem to have black hair. My own personal crib is the lack of loco crews - you can only do so much with the Dapol ones as you eventually end up with the same crew in all your locos...

HonestTom

Postby HonestTom » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:06 pm

I think one of the big problems is that you can't really scale down light and shade. Shadows always look deeper on the real thing than they do on models. When you're dealing with something like a building or locomotive, that's not such a problem, but with people it's very noticeable. Especially with those blobby Merit figures, which to my mind are only good for filling out crowd scenes and installation in coaches where they can't be clearly seen. Personally I quite like the Dapol ones, which are overscale but characterful. Dart Castings are my favourites for detail, and they're also one of the few manufacturers to realise that clothing fashions have moved on since the 1950s.
http://coarsescale.wordpress.com/for all your model railway-related rambling incoherence needs.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:21 pm

HonestTom wrote:I think one of the big problems is that you can't really scale down light and shade. Shadows always look deeper on the real thing than they do on models.

Try looking at real people from 100ft away. You won't see a lot in the way of shadows even on a really sunny day

HTH

Jim

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”