Do you ever get fed up of your layout?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
skyblue

Do you ever get fed up of your layout?

Postby skyblue » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:47 pm

I am well and truly fed up with my layout. I went up there a few minutes ago, thinking that it would be nice to run some trains, but all that happened was several derailments, a lot of stalling, failing points, knocking signals over...

I often go up there and come down feeling more annoyed and 'stressed' than when I went up there.

Rant over. Does anyone else feel like this? Or am I alone in having created something so annoying?

Terrier

Re: Do you ever get fed up of your layout?

Postby Terrier » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:01 pm

I can fully empathise chap, and i haven't even built mine yet! never will at the rate i am going, i go out there to the shed, look at the section for the viaduct, plan what i am going to do, then get distracted/miffed cause i can't find the bits of wood i thought i'd put by, or the screws/nails.. hammer etc etc, and then come back in having got no further than i had when i went in there. Still... chin up and KBO sir! 8)

Chris P

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:04 pm

It's good to know I'm not the only one.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:05 pm

Hi Skyblue,

You are well and truely NOT alone. I get automatic uncoupling too; I think my coaches think they're 'Slip' coaches sometimes and the wagons are at it as well.

Maybe it's because they're collectable want to be boring and stay in their boxes.....

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:07 pm

mahoganydog wrote:You are well and truely NOT alone. I get automatic uncoupling too;

I think automatic coupling is just as annoying - some of my wagons seem to be attracted towards each other with a force that's considerably stronger than the gravitational attraction between them.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi Skyblue,

Some of my Diesels are hated by tinplate rolling stock. Every time one goes by the wagon/coach in the siding or going the other way attacks it.... stupid modern magnets :x

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:23 pm

I have similar problems with one of my magnetic uncouplers. I use 3mm dia. by 3mm thick neodymium magnets buried between the sleepers. I was short of one magnet but had an 8mm thick one, so I drilled the hole a bit deeper, now it tries to hold on to the steel axles as they pass over it. One day I'll manage to get the one 3mm magnet I need but until then shunting remains a little jerky.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:59 pm

Happens all of the time! trust me your far from on your own :lol:

some days the layout just does not want to play ball at all!

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:04 pm

skyblue wrote:I am well and truly fed up with my layout. I went up there a few minutes ago, thinking that it would be nice to run some trains, but all that happened was several derailments, a lot of stalling, failing points, knocking signals over...

I often go up there and come down feeling more annoyed and 'stressed' than when I went up there.

Rant over. Does anyone else feel like this? Or am I alone in having created something so annoying?

Sometimes I just have to look at my layout(s)* and I think "forget it, I'll do it tomorrow" and walk away, but it's not just the railway, I get it with stupid computer games too.....

* - By "layout(s)" what I actually mean is " collection of railway bits that in all likelihood will never see a train run".
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

markh

Postby markh » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:19 pm

I also get fed up with my layout, for some reasons my sheds want to derail on near the curves, nothing run in my depot, constant uncouplings, a host of problems

Mark
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:28 pm

All the time mate! Nowadays I think about it, read this forum every day, read all the modelling magazines every month, try to find inspiration, start a new model job and a week later leave it half finished on the dining room table for weeks and listen to wifey moaning when are you going to shift that lot nag, nag, nag, nag. Keep making things over and over with a new technique, stick it on the layout and watch it warp or change colour! Hate it but keep thinking what can I do next, keep going to shows buy some other kit and stick it in a draw. Now even thinking of spending a load more money on a DCC system to get into sound to see if it gets the enthusiasm back but I know I will spend a load of dosh and nothing will change. Wierd but I love it, want to rip it up and start again but cant come up with a better idea. What can you do??? :?:
"Go on, just one more board, pleeeeeaaaase?"
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:54 pm

I am rationed with my time in the loft, so I look forward to my nights in the loft, but I do have nights where I go up and some of the older locos stick and play up which does frustrate but I never get fed up. Must admit since I revamped the control panels fault finding has been so much easier which makes life better. Other times I go up and I can be bothered doing anything, and end up having a good old browse through my collection of books.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:27 pm

I fully realise that this thread will mostly get responses from the "malcontents" (no offense intended) and we are being invited to have a good whinge. And so far it's not going badly is it.

But someone has to break the die. Invented layouts of fictitious places, with computer programmed DCC control, and impossible slopes to 2nd and 3rd levels, and layout boards just choked with rails, are only fun when you are adding another siding, or buying a 75th loco. No wonder people get fed up with them.

Do I get fed up ? You did ask.

NO.

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:43 pm

I get fed up because I don't have the time, money or skill to do what I want to do! I started big and went bigger. 7 years on I have a fair bit of track laid and a 'working' layout. Not finished and no scenery or buildings or sense of the layout I wanted to achieve.

Lesson to learn is, start small and grow with the hobby. Take time to get the skill and keep working at it. I'll never match up to the better ones on here (or possibly the average ones for that matter) but I can get better than now.

However, when I run the trains I can see what I want to achieve and will generally enjoy it. Maybe, I just need to do it more often, learn to chill and get a move on.

Chin up though and if the layout doesn't satisfy, plan a new one on a scale that will energise you and with specific aims and goals in place. Perhaps base it on a real place to help with inspiration, maybe copy a couple of ideas from layouts on here and finally remember it is meant to be fun and enjoyable.

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

Tiddles

Postby Tiddles » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:51 pm

skyblue wrote:I am well and truly fed up with my layout. I went up there a few minutes ago, thinking that it would be nice to run some trains, but all that happened was several derailments, a lot of stalling, failing points, knocking signals over...

Its all part of the hobby. I have relaid my layout three times so fare. Problems you did not know you had can apare at any time and a new loco can mean big changes because it findsnew problems.

Haveing started in DCC I am contanly fighting dcoders and track conections to the point that I have not done any scenery work for nearly six months. And projects are disapearing under other "stuff" on the modeling desk.

But I do some times just go in there and run trains, my imaganination filling in the missing scenic bits.

We also have a couple of small layout projects on the go and these are a good brake from the big layout problems.
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”