How much realism?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
William Medland

How much realism?

Postby William Medland » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:28 pm

How much realism?

I have decided to change the name on my layout station, mainly because besides my GWR locos, I have started collecting
the LWS ones. With my layout based in Cornwall, I could not do this. (the LMS did not reach that far).

With my interest in branch lines, I thought I had found the ideal location fitting my layout. With two lines going into a single line,
three platforms and a turntable.And joint run by GWR and LMS. No easy task to meet all of theose requirements!

So I settled for the Oxford area and YARNTON. I have spent the whole day researching the original timetables etc.

Now I discover after all that work that the two main LMS locos that I own, are EXCLUDED from Yarnton because of loco weight restrictions! :cry:

(as I am the "Area Manager" on my layout, I may ease the restrictions).....still feel bad about it though.

Cheers, Bill.
I do firmly believe in general, that to be credible railway modellers, we need to at least understand the working
principles of the real life railway, even if we are unable to put them into practice in a model form.

Bigmet

Re: How much realism?

Postby Bigmet » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:49 pm

Plenty of LMS/GWR action in Wales, even some joint sections; and very branch liney, same difficulties of topography as in Cornwall. One problem if using RTR, this was a location where older locos and stock hung on: especially from the LNWR in the case of the LMS, and from Welsh lines such as the Cambrian which was absorbed into the GWR group. None of this available in RTR.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:48 pm

Realism .......
For our toy trains ??
Remember this one is YOUR railway so include what you like, don't give a damn for the rivet counters.

An example was that I've just bought a Peco catch point today ...... first one I've seen on the shelf of
a model shop. I once asked Hattons if they were just out of stock, or didn't keep them. Answer no demand
so they don't keep !! Thinking about it how many do you see on even very good layouts - few indeed !!
Yet nearly every every siding is protected - so on that basis with so few striving for realism go with what
You want.

Always a rebel !!!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

KevSR

Postby KevSR » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:57 pm

In my personal opinion (and I know that many will disagree!) I feel that this sort of realism, i.e. what loco's were permitted on which lines etc, can be taken to far. The layout I am constructing is set in Sussex in the 30's, but that will not stop me running my Lord Nelson & S15 on it, even though in reality they were hardly, if ever, seen in these parts - mainly due to the fact that there 8-wheel tenders were too long for the Central Division turntables.
I do try to stick to the correct time period & liveries, hence I have no Bullied loco's or anything in malachite green.
The way I see it is that a model railway should first & foremost be pleasing to the builder, it is meant to be fun after all. I get fed up reading letter's in the model railway press (commenting on layouts) going on about how that loco would never have run on that line, or that coach livery is wrong for the period.
For me, it's all about enjoyment, and if that means a Nelson hauled express in Sussex, so be it!

William Medland

Postby William Medland » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:43 pm

Thanks for your valued comments Gentlemen,

So it would seem my "Duchess of Sutherland" will be seen thundering across the landscape between Oxford and Yarnton after all :wink:

Cheers, Bill.
I do firmly believe in general, that to be credible railway modellers, we need to at least understand the working
principles of the real life railway, even if we are unable to put them into practice in a model form.

rogue

Postby rogue » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:52 pm

I couldn't care less if my hogwarts castle is seen on the same layout as my flying scotsman

William Medland

Postby William Medland » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:30 pm

I never knew one could obtain catch points in model form..... that is something very interesting I have learned on this thread! :D

I always wondered what they did in the UK...... in Germany we have a normal set of points just before a junction to a main line,
this point leads onto a very short piece of track, only a few yards, then there is a buffer stop. So instead of crashing onto the main line,
the loco or rolling stock crashes into the buffer stop. ( that is the sole function of this set of points).
The piece of track between the points and the buffer stop is not long enough to park on.

Flankenschutzweiche (Translation: Flank Protection Points )

Cheers, Bill.
Last edited by William Medland on Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:33 pm

if you want to make yourself feel better about it it can always become a preservation line, a byword in model railways for "lack of self control!" and yes I am one of these people! what about in wartime, perhaps some weight restrictions might have been lifted then in emergencies? don't know too much about that though...

As other's have said at the end of the day you can simply refer to the first law of model railways; "it's my railway I'll run what I want"
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:36 pm

William Medland wrote:So it would seem my "Duchess of Sutherland" will be seen thundering across the landscape between Oxford and Yarnton after all.

Make sure it's pulling GWR coaches to annoy the rivet counters! :twisted:

Jim

PS. a demonstration of catch points at work; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v6AfvKyFKQ (skip to 5:48)
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:48 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Realism .......
For our toy trains ??
Remember this one is YOUR railway so include what you like, don't give a damn for the rivet counters.

An example was that I've just bought a Peco catch point today ...... first one I've seen on the shelf of
a model shop. I once asked Hattons if they were just out of stock, or didn't keep them. Answer no demand
so they don't keep !! Thinking about it how many do you see on even very good layouts - few indeed !!
Yet nearly every every siding is protected - so on that basis with so few striving for realism go with what
You want.

Always a rebel !!!

Geoff T.

Here you go

I must have spent well over a hundred quid just on tortoises for catch points!! :roll:

Jim

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:11 pm

Ahh Yes Jim,

We sort of would guess that you would have catch points.
Why, well because unlike the majority of us, you are seriously trying to keep to prototype,
in a way P4 says it all. If you're going to bother to make all those complex turnouts what's
the problem with a few catch points.
In a way I'm almost surprised that you let me 'get away' with my 'run what you like' policy
although I know you'll agree that first you should have fun & enjoy what you're doing.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:56 pm

The real point is - is the model railway going to be miserable grinding drudgery, or is it going to be FUN AND THOROUGHLY ENJOYABLE ???

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:42 pm

It's all compromise, each of us sets his ( or her ?) own level. I too have catch-points on my layout - yes it's OO gauge, with dummy catch points, permanently set to the main-line, and scratch-built in place, but all respect to Jim with his excellent examples in P4 his own compromise is set at a higher level, it just depends on how much time and money you can spend on your hobby.

Boxcar Willie

Postby Boxcar Willie » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:47 pm

The catch point business is interesting as I found a set on a signal box diagram of my long since defunct local station. There was a down line with an up loop with an island platform. There were three sidings connected to the loop protected by a catch point. There were no buffers - any wagon that displayed the gall to attempt an escape simply ran out from the point and onto the ground. The catch point itself was interlocked with the point where the sidings left the loop so that once it was set there was no way that anything could make its way from the sidings onto the main line.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:16 am

Bill,
if you want interaction between railway companies then look to "The Pines Express" from Sheffield/Manchester to Bournemouth. From my reading the train was a mix of LMS, GWR, LNER and Southern railways. Motive power was basically what was available, especially over the Somerset and Dorset section when used. there was even diversions over Great Western trackage with a Castle class in front. Also doubleheading was almost mandatory on some sections. The 9F "Evening Star" was the last steam loco on the old track route and it did it singlehandedly. You could combine Stannier, Gresley, Bulleids and BR standard Mk1 coaches in all shades of liveries and still be 'prototypical'.

The following link may help.

http://semaphore.avonvalleyrailway.org/ ... coach.html

Tim

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”