PO wagons - replacement plank effect

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
alex3410

PO wagons - replacement plank effect

Postby alex3410 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:46 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone have any information on how to go about modelling a PO wagon that has replacement planks?

I keep seeing them on ebay but cant find any information on the best way do achieve this effect?

probably me being dim in my choice of search terms :lol:

GeoFF03

Re: PO wagons - replacement plank effect

Postby GeoFF03 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:01 pm

Simply paint a plank or planks in a wood brown shade (or shades). That seems to be how Bachmann have done it with some of their cattle wagons and PO opens.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:41 pm

As said above, brown paints and patience. I find taking your time with the finest paintbrush available is a best approach. Also scrape off any lettering underneath the plank or it will show through.

A nice effect is to paint one or two planks, weather, then paint another few planks to show maintenance done at different times.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:31 am

A complete replacement door is another repair. Because the RCH specifications standardised wagon components and dimensions to ease the maintenance burden; once the PO wagons were pooled by the government, spares were taken from scrappers to keep usable wagons going. Even with the old PO livery later overpainted in BR grey plus accumulations of dirt, as the newer paint flaked off it could be seen that the older underpaint was different in shade.

It is quite difficult to represent the subtle 'reveal' of the old PO liveries that could be seen on the older survivors of the PO wagon fleet as the BR paint flaked away. I used to love seeing this as a kid. Some showed up best in bright sunlight, others when they were soaking wet.

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:16 pm

Hi Alex

You can get some nice effects by taking the lettering back with a fibre glass pen, and adding washes, as below:

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:02 pm

thank you all for the help, some good ideas. i will have to give them ago next time i weather a PO wagon :D

while talking about fibre glass pen's can you get metal ones? i did have a plastic one but it broke so was hoping for something a bit better quality :lol:

Pete

Postby Pete » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:30 am

Hi Alex

The best thing to do is to develop your own style of weathering, have a play with some old wagons, try different materials ans ideas, you don't necessarily want your stuff to look like everybody else's. You can get nice effects with wire wool (varying grades) and brass suede brushes are great for simulating wood grain etc. You'll see many fine examples on here of styles but its always best to have your own.

i did have a plastic one but it broke so was hoping for something a bit better quality :lol:

I think mine are all in excess of 25 years old. Maybe they have built in obsolescence these days :wink: .

Pete

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:01 am

unpainted wood is not brown at all but a pale cream beige that weathers to a silver grey, Pheonix paints now do a unpainted wood colour, or use Humbrol leather No. 62 with added white.

David

rogue

Postby rogue » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:31 pm

Pete wrote:Hi Alex

You can get some nice effects by taking the lettering back with a fibre glass pen, and adding washes, as below:

Pete

I like them, very realistic!

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:31 am

Hi Rogue

Thanks for comments.

These wagons were part of my first go at UK 00. They were for a simple ex GW Branchline about two weeks from closure in 1953ish, I wanted them to to look very shagged out. If you hunt about in the layouts thread you might find it (its well down the list now).

The wagons were standard Dapol GW grey wagons, they have a nice crisp finish out of the box, and very easy to weather. The lettering was taken back with a glass fibre pencil (in the transverse direction of the planks) this not only lightens the letters but also gives a nice grain effect which unfortunately doesn't come through in the pics. I then applied very dilute (almost homoeopathic :D ) washes of artists water colours (not acrylics) which dry with a nice translucent effect. Its a case of applying the washes until you like the look. I then touch in some highlights and details with acrylics. Takes about 30mins per wagon.

Here's my 'Toad' guards van.

Of course this very heavy effect may not suit all layouts, as I noted above these were for a very specific scene, the whole layout was run down with long grass, wild flowers and a tatty old station building, even the fire buckets were rusting :wink:

Regards

Pete

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:27 am

That's some excellent work there Pete, I think I've come across this layout before, very nice effects :)
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:03 pm

HI
Yes it was a layout I built last year and posted at the time, I apologise for the shameless re-posting of old pictures :wink: but I think as they say a picture speaks a thousand words...

I should note, although I'm happy to weather wagons, I have no idea how to approach locomotives, it's partly down to the fact that if I mess up a £15.00 wagon its no big deal in the grand scheme of things but a locomotive... :?

Pete

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:05 pm

I know what you mean Pete, it's why is like using pastels, if it all goes wrong I can wipe them off and start again.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”