Class 73 body removal

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
mjb1961

Class 73 body removal

Postby mjb1961 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:26 pm

Have you ever tried to remove the body off a class 73 ,I struggled and struggled and even with the help from my wife we struggled ,just by luck in the end it came off and without breaking anything ,I was only wanting to fit a decoder ,I almost nearly gave up and left it dc,the instructions make it look easy,just prize away the body at the sides and carefully lift off from the chassis ,it's a good job my neighbours are a bit older and probably deaf as they wouldn't of heard the swear words ,but all done and hopefully the class 73 royal Alex in Pullman colours will be running fine ! Mjb

RFS

Re: Class 73 body removal

Postby RFS » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:24 pm

Just taken the body of one of mine to change its decoder. Basically you need 4 credit cards (I used "less critical" Tesco, Sainsbury, AA cards etc.) and slide 2 of them in on each side, starting from the middle of the loco, pushing one to one end and one to the other. This usually does the trick although there aren't too many detail bits to fall off! Just make sure when the two suddenly separate, it's the body that falls to earth and not the loco ... :)
Robert Smith

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:32 pm

or do it over a table :lol: - you can get sheets of plastic which saves you using cards from your wallet

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:23 pm

The class 73 wasn't the only one ,a couple of days later thought I'll fit the sapphire decoder to the bachmann 4cep 411',well I had just as much trouble getting the body off that ,anyway after a struggle the body came off and luckly without damage and then I find that the sapphire is that little bit too big to fit ,there isn't a lot in it but I dare not force fit it I case I knacker up the pins ,are well the joys of loving trains ,,,,,mjb

RFS

Postby RFS » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:24 pm

The Sapphire fits in the 411/4-CEP with no problem at all.
Robert Smith

Boxcar Willie

Postby Boxcar Willie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:50 am

Reminds me of the fun I had with a Bachmann CIE 141 class when I was trying to fix the lights. The instructions are clear enough in themselves but they didn't give any inkling as to the magic words you have to intone - mostly beginning with "F".

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:42 pm

mjb1961 wrote:The class 73 wasn't the only one ,a couple of days later thought I'll fit the sapphire decoder to the bachmann 4cep 411',well I had just as much trouble getting the body off that ,anyway after a struggle the body came off and luckly without damage and then I find that the sapphire is that little bit too big to fit ,there isn't a lot in it but I dare not force fit it I case I knacker up the pins ,are well the joys of loving trains ,,,,,mjb

The Hornby Sapphire 21 pin decoder fits the 4-CEP perfectly, you do need to remove the wiring harness though!. I have fitted at least two of these in the past without any trouble at all. The class 73 body is very easy to get off. I would suggest perhaps your example may have been stuck by a bit of glue ruinning down from where the windows are cemented in. It is basically the old Lima model with a new motor bogie and pick up arrangement. Lima never glued window glazing in place on the 73 but for some reason Hornby have chosen to use glue to hold the front windows in place.
A bargain is something you really don't need at a price that's completely irresistible!!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:52 pm

Could Hornby be using a different grade of plastic for the glazing, one that doesn't have sufficient spring to hold itself in place?
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:35 pm

From the models I have encountered the glazing is made to the same spec as Lima used. It is flexible to an extent but still just as "snappable" as Lima.
A bargain is something you really don't need at a price that's completely irresistible!!

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”