Making a move to N gauge...

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Phipps

Making a move to N gauge...

Postby Phipps » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:39 pm

After giving it a good/careful consideration,I am strongly thinking about moving to N...
My main reason is the obvious one that a few others have probably considered in the past,but I have to be reasonably realistic,in that I am going to be really pushed for space.
I'll explain the background,but I'm moving to a much smaller property & I have EIGHT storage cases-worth of OO gauge items.
So a lot of it has to go :cry:
On the positive side,I see that a lot of the models I really like in OO are available in N as well(DP1 deltic,A4s,9F,7MT,Pannier,Classes 55,40 & 37).There's even plans to release the 4498 SNG in garter blue :D
My other reason for selling it all up is that I can keep the Ex wife off my back for £££ & anything spare can fund the N project.
I actually like the fact that there isn't a vast array of tempting locos available,but at least the ones i like most are available.
My GF Lesley is quite supportive of my hobby(& YES,she's interested in keeping hold of me).She also suggested I can set a layout up in her flat's loft.I've even come up with the idea of a name(Hawtinscroft-Hawtin being her maiden name) & she's quite touched by the idea.....
In the Aylsham BVR shop,the guy has the Merseyside Express Set at £125 & I was contemplating that as a starter(perhaps add a 3rd brake coach),but Hattons have the DP1 at a good bargain price.I'm wondering if a better plan would be to buy the pieces separately?
EDIT.....
My Father has offered to buy a few of the locos I worked on(my A4s mainly + Black Prince) as well as a few special efforts like the NRM DP1 & City Of Truro....

Bigmet

Re: Making a move to N gauge...

Postby Bigmet » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:33 pm

Sample it before really taking the plunge: sell a few things to fund some N, and then see what you think once you have had some hands on. Switching gauges can be very costly if it proves unsuccessful for you.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:41 pm

Cheers BigMet.I'll sell off a chunk,then buy this Merseyside set.I'm assuming that the controllers run on a different voltage than 12V DC for OO gauge?

sandtrain

Postby sandtrain » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:55 pm

Through circumstances .....living in a small flat I now have an N gauge layout....which means I can have more of a variety as it needs less space.

My experience of N gauge though made me see the difference in quality between British, German ,American and Japanese brands.

I started off with some Farish locos ....then tried out Fleischmann, Kato and Bachmann ( usa ).

The Fleischmann and the Kato were bought second hand off the Bay,,,,,some for £24.00......all I can say is that they run far better then the Farish by a long chalk, and are much better detailed.

I realize that maybe I'm unusual in that I dont want my layout to be "period accurate" as I like just to run trains and chop and change to suit......and maybe also others have been luckier with Farish.....just letting you know my experience for what its worth.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:41 am

Phipps wrote:...I'm assuming that the controllers run on a different voltage than 12V DC for OO gauge?

I believe that it is usual to use 9 - 10V max. to run N gauge. A regular DC controller should do the job for your try out, just be careful and don't turn the wick all the way up.

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:57 am

Bigmet wrote:
Phipps wrote:...I'm assuming that the controllers run on a different voltage than 12V DC for OO gauge?

I believe that it is usual to use 9 - 10V max. to run N gauge. A regular DC controller should do the job for your try out, just be careful and don't turn the wick all the way up.

i used a regular and old triang DC controller for test runs, everything ran well, but i noted a lack of fine control, the smallest movement on the dile had the loco's flying off the corners
i'll secnd the above re a testing. N isn't everyones cup o tea. Sandtrain makes a good point, but i'd say the new stuff from Dapol and most of the new stuff from farish is of a much better quality and detail. and of course for that real treat, you could get yourself a loco from CJM.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:38 am

When i first started out i really liked the idea of N as it would mean more room for track etc and as we live in a 1 bedroom house space is always an issue :lol:

what made me go with 00 however is visiting a local model shop and seeing the sizes in real life - if you have one near by i would recommend a visit just to make sure you know what size you are looking at as images online can be very hard to make out scale

which ever route you go down good luck :)

Kentishman

Postby Kentishman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:29 am

Phipps wrote:Cheers BigMet.I'll sell off a chunk,then buy this Merseyside set.I'm assuming that the controllers run on a different voltage than 12V DC for OO gauge?

No need to change the controller, a good quality 12v dc controller should be quite alright for N as well as OO. The same point motors and CDUs are used as in OO, so a 16v ac output would be useful.

Size is both the big advantage and the major set back. A layout will have a footprint 1/4 the size of the same in OO, but everything is a lot more fiddly and calls for more care in track laying. If you were to start with a 4ft by 2ft 6ins board, you could have a couple of loops above minimum radius (9ins) and get a feel for the smaller scale while having the equivalent of an 8' x 5' OO layout.

ollieollieollie

Postby ollieollieollie » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:03 pm

Just about to try N myself. Bought a Farish 56 last week & several sets of points. Just looking for some flexi track & I'm away. Still not entirely convinced it's the way forward for me - the detailing isn't as good as OO & to be honest the loco doesn't quite look right. Hard to elaborate. Still - that said - I am going to have a go at a layout 8ft by 2 & a bit ft as a bit of a tail chaser - something I've not had space for in OO for a long time. Soon be posting in the under construction thread hopefully...

I bet you're looking forward to seeing SNG at the NNR in March then Phipps?!

stevepurves

Postby stevepurves » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:43 pm

ollieollieollie wrote:Just about to try N myself. Bought a Farish 56 last week & several sets of points. Just looking for some flexi track & I'm away. Still not entirely convinced it's the way forward for me - the detailing isn't as good as OO & to be honest the loco doesn't quite look right. Hard to elaborate. Still - that said - I am going to have a go at a layout 8ft by 2 & a bit ft as a bit of a tail chaser - something I've not had space for in OO for a long time. Soon be posting in the under construction thread hopefully...

I bet you're looking forward to seeing SNG at the NNR in March then Phipps?!

For something that looks right you could not have chosen a worse loco than the farish 56 (47 - a - like)

See here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... iew/page-6

The new 08, 20, 37, 47 60, 66 and 70 are the best from the farish stable IMO while dapol has the 26, 35, 52, 56, 58 and 66 which are excellent.
For any other classes I think there are major comprimises in looks, ie the old farish 56 roof, farish 45/46 bogies, farish 50 windows etc...

Still not decided who has the best 66... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... -or-dapol/

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:30 pm

ollieollieollie wrote:Just about to try N myself. Bought a Farish 56 last week & several sets of points. Just looking for some flexi track & I'm away. Still not entirely convinced it's the way forward for me - the detailing isn't as good as OO & to be honest the loco doesn't quite look right. Hard to elaborate. Still - that said - I am going to have a go at a layout 8ft by 2 & a bit ft as a bit of a tail chaser - something I've not had space for in OO for a long time. Soon be posting in the under construction thread hopefully.......

I have to agree with Steve, the Farish 56 is awful (it is one of the relics of the 'Poole' era I think). The Farish 150, new 101, 350 and new 47 are very good models. Dapol's 66, 122, 153, 156 and 220 are all fine looking models to a similar standard.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

kevin sharpe

Postby kevin sharpe » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:16 pm

Phipps wrote:After giving it a good/careful consideration,I am strongly thinking about moving to N...
My main reason is the obvious one that a few others have probably considered in the past,but I have to be reasonably realistic,in that I am going to be really pushed for space.
I'll explain the background,but I'm moving to a much smaller property & I have EIGHT storage cases-worth of OO gauge items.
So a lot of it has to go :cry:
On the positive side,I see that a lot of the models I really like in OO are available in N as well(DP1 deltic,A4s,9F,7MT,Pannier,Classes 55,40 & 37).There's even plans to release the 4498 SNG in garter blue :D

I moved from 00 to n gauge about 6 years ago and hated the gauge to start but kept on going and now like it because you can do so much in a smaller space also took me about 2 years to get a n gauge eye so give it a go and enjoy your modeing
Kevin Sharpe

Tosh

Postby Tosh » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:55 pm

I switched from OO to N about 2/3 years ago and never looked back although I have done my youngest grandson a small 5x4 OO layout,when i was laying the track for him it seemed like i was laying the real thing it looked that big :D
Beer,making ugly women look beautiful for thousands of years.....

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:43 am

It would seem that the feedback from you guys is predominantly positive.
I just want a layout practical for surroundings & Lesley pointed out,she said I had such a lot of locos I might not get the time to run.A handful would get more use too.
Her flat has adequate space in the loft & the room Im moving to has shelf space for an end2end set up.
Im going to keep four A4s,my deltics & a class 37,so they can be used at the Holt layout..
Ollie-Definitely looking forward to the A4's visit.Hope there's no last minute hitch.
I have discovered Dapol or Farish are planning to make the loco in its 4498 guise.Perfect for a 1970s era Im planning on..

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:04 pm

Phipps wrote:Ollie-Definitely looking forward to the A4's visit.Hope there's no last minute hitch

Me & my big Murray Walker-like mouth :? :evil:

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”