The Strategic Reserve

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
rogue

The Strategic Reserve

Postby rogue » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:10 pm

I've been reading up on this and it's pretty fascinating stuff (real or not!) but it had me wondering, has anyone modelled this fantasy scenario? are there any other fantasy model layouts done (I don't mean a imagined GWR line or whatever but,) and surely this MUST have been done, Harry Potter or something? Pics?

Also one of the Strategic Reserve articles I read theorised that the myth came about because of faulty paperwork which got me thinking, when a loco gets lost in the system it can sit for a while before being discovered (just like lost Dr Who episodes!), were there ever cases of "lost" steam engine rediscovered in some long-lost corner of the network after their intended withdrawal? if so, it would be interesting to find out when the last "lost" loco was found!

Terrier

Re: The Strategic Reserve

Postby Terrier » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:50 pm

There's probably a closed up shed somewhere, privately owned with a shunter and a rusty old austin 5 sat under cover, owner long passed away, tucked away somewhere in the midlands or up near one of the old coal/ore mines up the north or in south wales. you never know, would be great to hear of a long lost steam locomotive being found after all these years.

Chris P

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:40 pm

in the biggest part it is all myths , why bother keeping a strategic reserve when woodhams and preservationists had a large enough one already and with plans readily available to start production again if necessary

as for the other , how in reality would you lose a loco ??? there were probably cases of those kept at the bottom of a yard for spares etc , but completely forgotten ??? even an 0-6-0 jinty is hardly loseable

there was a long held myth that there was a steam locomotive buried under the old wembley stadiums centre spot wich was proved unfounded

I do however know where there are two complete stannier 8Fs

http://youtu.be/F6wMzJrP36U

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:50 pm

Hi all,

It's easy to lose a locomotive! What about this..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindal_Railway_Incident

Got a shovel anyone?

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:32 pm

technicaly not lost !! an item is only lost if you don't know where it is !! the location is known it is just unrecoverable and by this stage probably reverted back to iorn ore !!

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:39 pm

Semantics :roll:

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:48 pm

weren't there some cases of steam locos surviving on the network into the 70s just to be used for heating carriages still with steam heating? they wouldn't actually pull the train, just be in the train, presumably only in light steam, I believe steam heating is only at 60 psi. I can't see any complete locos being discovered in a shed, but parts and bits definitely. There are loads of carriage bodies dotted around the place many uncatalogued, quite a few are on the VCT but there are loads privately owned that are not. it's a fairly regular occurrence to hear of an owner of a house has died and the relatives are trying to find a buyer for the clerestory coach body the old man has converted into a shed. There is also I believe 3 8fs somewhere in the sea between Britain and Turkey, as 30 were sent for the war if memory serves correct but only 27 arrived. these would not be salvageable though. any likely locos that will be "found" will probably be on an ex heritage site somewhere, or deep in the long grass of an existing one. I wonder if there is any heritage stock left still at long Marston from the Broadway and stratford railway society that folded a couple of years ago...

As for layouts, someone on here has a harry potter hogsmeade layout, I think the member may be called cgraham or something, I can't find it at the moment.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:50 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote: There is also I believe 3 8fs somewhere in the sea between Britain and Turkey, as 30 were sent for the war if memory serves correct but only 27 arrived. these would not be salvageable though..

see my post above there were 2 on-board the thislegorm whilst she was waiting at anchor to go to be unloaded as she was loaded to the brim with 2 stannier 8 Fs , 2 railway oil tankers , tanks ( bren gun carriers ) , motorcycles , trucks , aircraft pats , munitions , and exceptionally oddly thousands of wellington boots ( perhaps we were expecting rain in north Africa )

when the ship was bombed it was a direct hit where the locomotives were so they were blown overboard ( although tenders remain on the deck ) and the oil tankers collapsed due to water preasure at depth ( so obviously sealed ) not much left due to bomb damage and rot but what there is is immediately identifiable

there are quite a few vids on you tube as it is a popular dive site !!

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:57 pm

rogue

Postby rogue » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:59 pm

tornado64 wrote:as for the other , how in reality would you lose a loco ??? there were probably cases of those kept at the bottom of a yard for spares etc , but completely forgotten ??? even an 0-6-0 jinty is hardly loseable

I was thinking more along the lines of a loco parked in some remote sidings and forgotten about for a good few months due to lost/misfiled paperwork, maybe when transferring districts. I wasn't being 100% serious about this but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. Even jumbos have been lost in the past.

rogue

Postby rogue » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:00 pm

anyway, are there many "fantasy" layouts or is that not normally something seen?

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:01 pm

tornado64 wrote:
flying scotsman123 wrote: There is also I believe 3 8fs somewhere in the sea between Britain and Turkey, as 30 were sent for the war if memory serves correct but only 27 arrived. these would not be salvageable though..

see my post above , there were 2 on-board the thislegorm whilst she was waiting at anchor in 1941 to go to be unloaded as she was loaded to the brim with 2 stannier 8 Fs , 2 railway oil tankers , tanks ( bren gun carriers ) , motorcycles , trucks , aircraft pats , munitions , and exceptionally oddly thousands of wellington boots ( perhaps we were expecting rain in north Africa )

when the ship was bombed by the Germans it was a direct hit where the locomotives were so they were blown overboard ( although tenders remain on the deck ) and the oil tankers collapsed due to water preasure at depth ( so obviously sealed ) not much left due to bomb damage and rot but what there is is immediately identifiable

there are quite a few vids on you tube as it is a popular dive site !! originally discovered by Jacques Cousteau in 1954

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:05 pm

rogue wrote:anyway, are there many "fantasy" layouts or is that not normally something seen?

if not copied directly from a prototypical location aren't all model railways fantasy ???

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:14 pm

Don't rise to it Rogue, sadly, some people only seem to be able to maintain their own sense of self-worth by putting others down. I for example have refrained from commenting on one particular thread, as i believe the ego of the said individual would take quite a knock. :wink:

Chris P

PanzerJohn

Postby PanzerJohn » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:31 pm

If there had been a strategic reserve there would have been no steam orientated infrastructure left to enable to run them.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”