Advice on buying a vice - Try Aldi

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
tornado64

Re: Advice on buying a vice

Postby tornado64 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:42 pm

Pete wrote:
but as every piece of equipment it can be pressed into service if I was to use it for compressing wheelsets together I'd get some heavy gauge steel sheet , have it cut down to the right size to cover the faces then get a welder to tack them on for you with them clamped together to give a nicely square set a local welder or engineering shop would probably ask for enough for a couple of pints done as a foreigner !!

We are making very heavy weather of pressing a few wheels on. The vice is fine as is, as noted a number of times above all you need is some bits of MDF/ply they are nice and flat and won't damage your wheels. You'll **** up a perfectly good vice if you go tacking bits of mild steel to it :D

I bet you wished you'd never asked :wink:

Pete

depends if it is being used solely for one purpose or if pressing into other uses I'm spoiled as I have an engineering workshop at my disposal as well as my own welding equipment , sometimes a little adapting to suit at small costs saves many hours of swearing at a later date !!

VonkeyVong

Postby VonkeyVong » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:04 pm

Pete wrote:You'd still have to hold it in the press, so the same problem as with a vice. But a little press is a very useful bit of kit to have, I often wish I had one.

Pete

Yes but the press is vertical so you can rest one piece on the base holding the other to locate it while you operate the press handle with your free hand.

The vice is horizontal so two parts with nothing to rest them on needing two hands to hold them so you dont have a hand free to turn the vice handle.

Matt.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:52 pm

Anyone need a vice for just general modelling tasks ie not high precision engineering. Next week from Sunday, I think, Aldi have small bench clamp and suction base vices for £6.99 each. I bought a pair last time they had them. They can be tilted and swivelled to get at the work from all angles and have rubber jaws for work you do not want to mark. If you need harder jaws it's easy enough to cut ones from aluminium, brass or plastic angle and just sit them on the rubber.
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”