If only I knew about diesels

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
clivef5915

If only I knew about diesels

Postby clivef5915 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:16 am

My layout is steam based on the jolly old Bath Green Park. Up until now all I have is steam locos but there are photos around which show a couple of diesels which I wouldn't mind adding to the stable. I assume they would have run in from Bristol or the midlands. One is a 'Peak' class and the other a 'Hymek' class 35. I've found that these models are produced by Bachmann and Hornby respectively but I've never owned a diesel model before so don't really know what to look out for. Has anyone got thoughts or opinions on the models I should look out for, or not, as the case may be. I really only want the BR green versions and as early as possible. (colour that is, not model production)
Regards
clive f
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40184/Bath Queen Square - as never was !

Pennine MC

Re: If only I knew about diesels

Postby Pennine MC » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:42 am

Dont even consider the Hornby Hymek, Clive - the Heljan one is easily available and is a far better model both in terms of accuracy and running.

Bachmann have done a lot of Peaks; the ones running into GP would have been class 45s (as distinct from 44s or 46s) from the Bath Road allocation or the Midland Lines so the best base models would be a D67 from the first releases or one of the splitboxes, which have come with various numbers including D27 and D95.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:06 pm

DON'T SUCCUMB, STAY STRONG! :lol: :twisted: :evil:
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

clivef5915

Postby clivef5915 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:34 pm

Post by flying scotsman123 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:06 pm
DON'T SUCCUMB, STAY STRONG

I can't hold out much longer, I grow weak with each passing day, oh the pain, the torment. Whilst I will fight, I will succumb through age. My body is racked with grief, my mind is of desperation. :(

Alternatively, b****r it I'm gonna have one. :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40184/Bath Queen Square - as never was !

Old Man Phil

Postby Old Man Phil » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:16 pm

One small thing Clive. If you wish to mix and represent the 60s when steam was still very much alive and diesels were the new kids on the block, bear in mind that considering that the Station closed in 1966, you should be looking out for green diesels NOT Blue. Green Peaks are plentiful, even Mainline could 'cheaply' meet your needs. The others are right about the Hymeks, stay way from Triang too.

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:39 pm

Pennine MC wrote:Dont even consider the Hornby Hymek, Clive - the Heljan one is easily available and is a far better model both in terms of accuracy and running.

nearly bought the heljan hymek a couple of days ago !! stunning model of an early diesel and light years away from hornbys offering !!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:23 pm

clivef5915 wrote:...I can't hold out much longer, I grow weak with each passing day, .. b****r it I'm gonna have one.

When you see how well they run (ultra reliable pick up,smooth, quiet, enough traction to pull all the stock on most layouts made up into a single train) you may find even more temptation crossing your path. Dapol offer a very fine class 22, surely that bimbled into your area off the Western? Likewise from the Midland one of their class 24 or 25 types must have appeared, they were like a rash, cropped up everywhere. The Southern's own class 26 and 33 (Heljan) would also be prospective visitors.

I cycle through the years over a six to nine month period; starting out all steam, then gradually 'withdrawing' the first steam classes to go, and replacing them with the new diesels, and carrying on in that style until finally it's a majority diesel service. Then the clock is reset back to all steam, and round we go again. (Passenger coaches are also replaced, older stock gradually replaced with BR designs; new BR design wagons push out the grouping and older freight stock designs.)

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:57 pm

I very much like that idea bigmet, a brilliant thought, only I might start a little earlier (say 1900) and end a little sooner (say 1955) :P
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Kentishman

Postby Kentishman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:48 pm

Hello clivef5915,
you may find the attached of use re the various classes of Diesels and the dates of their introduction, or it might put you off these soulless abominations that in most cases don't know if they're coming or going. (Mind you, I do run GWR Diesel railcars, which only goes to show that I'm as two faced as most Diesels, damn!) http://www.igg.org.uk/gansg/00-app3-4/ap4-d.htm

All the best
KM

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”