old lima diesels: how good are they?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Boxcar Willie

Re: old lima diesels: how good are they?

Postby Boxcar Willie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:16 pm

I've a bit of a mixed bag of Lima stuff; a second hand Class 33 wobbles round like a salsa dancer in need of a hip replacement; a second hand Class 59 in Yeoman livery (bought for €15) performs and looks as well as the latest Bachmann offerings and my latest Lima - an IR Class 201 - needed a bit of fettling around the bogie spigots to stop it derailing on curves.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:54 pm

Ive had no problems with lima models. My 33, 73 and 101 all run well. Their from about 1985ish if that matters.

diesel

Postby diesel » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:04 am

The class 20 I think was one of Limas better runners ,I have one and fitted a new motor ,chipped it for DCC I also glued a strip of cork in the roof of the body and it runs as quiet as any Bachmann and nice and smooth and down to a respectable crawl .

Meister

Postby Meister » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:10 am

I have ~50 Lima locos dating from the early 1980s through to the mid-2000s, all but 3 of them diesels. Never had any problems with any of them. Sure they are crude in comparison to modern offerings but also reliable, durable and very usable. Of the locos I bought as a kid in the early '80s Lima are the best and have stood the test of time better than most of the competition (i.e. Hornby, Airfix and Mainline). If you can lay your hands on some good condition, lightly used Lima diesels for sensible money (and they are out there) then I would say they are worth a punt.

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:29 am

luckymucklebackit wrote:[we suddenly had a 33 that could left as is or be carved into a 26,
Jim

or a 4F unfortunately in HO

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:56 am

people forget the dash of reality !! lima were what they were ! a budget model company that at the time competed with and on some things beat Hornby !! I have used them since my second train set the red LMS 4F with carriages ( to be honest I have never yet found a more reliable loco than that little 4F ! )

there is lots of shouting about how good bachmann are but early Bachmann American HO was diabolical compared to athearn etc

as others have said , it is progress and I guess Bachmann et al got their running chassis idea copied from athearn etc

I view it as being what do you want out of the hobby , do you want a hobby where everything is done for you , or to immerse yourself in detailing , maintenance , etc etc

the new models it cannot be disputed are superb !! ...... till repairs are needed then watch how fast they are returned to the shop for repairs as it is becoming the norm they are too complex for home repairs

lima are simple no bull decent looking models that can be picked up for reasonable prices a bonus of latter lima was the vast amount of liveries and named locos available , there are tricks to get limas to run better like filing off the mould ejector pin marks off the plastic gear wheels

I'd never turn my nose up at lima , what we have to remember is the fun equalled against pounds mark !! not everyone uses for exhibitions or are worried about slow running over points some just like them for what they are and enjoy a relaxed sunday afternoon tinkering with and running locos .

EE8CSVTMKIII

Postby EE8CSVTMKIII » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:58 pm

It's been a hit-and-miss affair for me - at one point I had more than 30 Limas (mostly 37 & 47) - if it's good, it's really good; if it's bad, you just want to knock yourself on the head for buying it. I have since almost totally phased out my lima loco collection, leaving only four fairly excellent runners which I have converted to DCC complete with SMD LED lights. I think I may get a few more years of excellent service from them yet.

Forfarian

Postby Forfarian » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:29 am

Do all Lima diesels have traction tyres??
Tim
aka Forfarian

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:40 am

Almost all. The 08/09 shunter didn't for example. Instead it had a lump of lead inside. This must have been illegal in what is classified as a toy; but ahey, we are Italian, rules are fora other people, eh?

The thing to keep in mind with s/h Lima is that with most of the locos now revived by Hornby with a much better power bogie and Hornby's superior paint finish, the Lima should be priced at well below the current Hornby version.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:44 am

Forfarian wrote:Do all Lima diesels have traction tyres??

Short answere is yes.

JIm
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:33 am

I have had no problems with my Lima models - classes 47, 52,55. All perform well.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Forfarian

Postby Forfarian » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:15 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:
Forfarian wrote:Do all Lima diesels have traction tyres??

Short answere is yes.

JIm

They are not for me then, my rails are clean, so I don't wish to start using tyres.
I just wondered as there is an auction next month at Taylors in Montrose and they normally have a good selection of locos.
Tim
aka Forfarian

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”