C & G Ayres, Reading P.O. Wagons

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
The Ferret

C & G Ayres, Reading P.O. Wagons

Postby The Ferret » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:05 pm

Sixty-eight years ago I sat in school next to Bob Ayres who inherited C & G Ayres (Reading) Coal Merchants and House Movers. So when I saw that the private owner coal wagons with that name were available in OO, I bought two. However they both have the old-fashioned very large (Tri-Ang?) tension lock couplings.

When coupled in a train of wagons fitted with modern-style small tension locks they keep derailing on curves.

Does anybody else find similar problems or am I "barking up the wrong tree"? Check back to back dimensions?

It is not necessarily points causing them to come off and that is why I suspect the couplings that seem very tight and do not permit the hook of the adjacent wagon to slide on the heavy loop of the C&GA wagon.

Bufferstop

Re: C & G Ayres, Reading P.O. Wagons

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:27 pm

You are right, the large hook on the standard Hornby/ex Triang coupler will derail one or other of the wagons when running on a curve or through pointwork. There are two ways to deal with it depending on the underframe used. If it's a metal coupler fastened by a central screw or rivet and located by two studs on the underframe there's a direct replacement Bachmann coupler, they too used that underframe which came from the Mainline range. The other design which is pure Hornby is a swine to deal with. The central section of the bufferbeam is extended downwards in an ugly slab of plastic with the coupler moulded into the bottom. You can cut it away and mount a Bachmann replacement coupler, they come in short and long varieties to suit the buffer lengths. However there are other things wrong with the underframe the worst bit of which is the buffer height being between 1 & 2mm too high. If it's the wooden body of the wagon that is your interest, buy new underframes of the correct length from Parkside Dundas or others which will come without couplers fitted, but will do justice to the wagon body.
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:06 pm

Or if you were after new ones, Powsides do transfers you could use on a Parkside kit. You could possibly use the Dapol unpainted wagons as well.

http://www.powsides.co.uk/www.powsides. ... arch=ayres
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

The Ferret

Postby The Ferret » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:41 pm

I have several sets of the "tee" shaped couplings. What a splendidly simple solution. Many thanks to Bufferstop and PeterL

The Ferret

Postby The Ferret » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:02 am

I have now fitted the three hole, Tee bar type couplings to both C.& G. Ayres wagons. They now run perfectly in a 28 wagon train.

Thanks again to Bufferstop and PeterL

The Ferret

Postby The Ferret » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:17 am

With the C & G Ayres wagon problem completely solved, I now have a problem with a West Wales Wagon Works (Dapol) George West Coal Merchant, Reading, wagon. This leaps off the track on curves (4 feet radius) but runs through turnouts perfectly. The wagon has small, modern tension lock couplings, is coupled to similar small tension lock couplings. All couplings are at the right relative height-above-rail to each other.

So I got out my trusty digital vernier caliper (with dial gauge for super-accuracy) and measured back to back dimensions.

These were 14.43 and 14.44. These are correct values, are they not?

So once again I am completely stumped. Would anybody care to comment.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”