Brrrrrr!

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
bristolmidland

Brrrrrr!

Postby bristolmidland » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:19 am

Hi all,
Anyone got any tips to take the chill off my loft? It is partly insulated but not too nice a place to spend any time in at this time of year. I have packed away in insulated cases all my locos and moved all my delicate electronic stuff downstairs. I would still like to work on my layout though. Just enough to raise the temp a bit and not bankrupt me in the process!
On top of everything else my football team is owned by chicken farmers.

amsie

Re: Brrrrrr!

Postby amsie » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:04 pm

If I go into the loft, I wear thermals, then wrap up from there. T-shirt, Joggers, Jumper etc and sometimes a coat.

Without spending a lot of money on insulation and heating I don't have any answers other than that.

I used to have an electric fan heater which didn't do much unless you were working directly next to it.

Summers I go up in just my shorts :-)

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:12 pm

I have a Portable Halogen Electric Heater - that has 3 settings on it - 400W/800W/1200W (mine was from QD about £15-20)

after 5 minutes or so on max i can turn it down to 400W or even off and its warm enough for me with just jeans and a t-shirt

just make sure you don't leave anything in front of it as it gets really hot! - and no that's not why i have a massive melted hole in the side of my bin :oops: :lol:

worth its weight in gold the other day as it was cold enough up there to see my breath!

edit:
odd cup of tea does not go amiss either :lol:

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:38 pm

Using an un-adapted loft isn't a good place for a model railway. I'd investigate an insulated garden shed or the garage if you have one. I wonder how many of us have a garage and actually keep a car in there.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:47 pm

amsie wrote:If I go into the loft, I wear thermals, then wrap up from there.

Same here in my unheated outbuilding. It's a damn sight cosier (because the walls keep the wind off) than the linesiding of my boyhood, when the cycle ride home still didn't thaw my feet out. A relatively small amount of insulation to roof and walls keeps the place above freezing now, with no heat input other than me, friends, cups of tea, and the tiny electricity consumption. All the model railway, DCC gear etc stays put, and has been no trouble for over ten years in this location.

I used to run OO outdoors, and it was never any bother down to the -10C of the worst winter in this part of England. Just had to wipe the rails clear of any frost or ice first, to get electrical contact established.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:06 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Using an un-adapted loft isn't a good place for a model railway.

Why is that? I've had my model railway in an un-adapted loft for 5-6 years and the main problems (warped track) seems to come from the heat in the summer.

Old Man Phil

Postby Old Man Phil » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:32 pm

If it's too cold in the loft, ask the wife nicely if you can make a large hole in the living room ceiling to allow some of the heat from the radiators to get into the roof space. :D

amsie

Postby amsie » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:51 pm

Not had any problems in my loft either apart from expansion/contraction of rails and plastic platform tops, something im happy to live with though

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:01 pm

unfortunately some of us don't have a choice :(

long term plan is to get a house with spare bedroom but don't see it being viable for another 30-40 years :shock:

Forfarian

Postby Forfarian » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:47 pm

My loft space is insulated with 1" thick thermoboard so it's not too cold/hot, I leave the hatch open for 20mins before going up to let some of the heat rise up from the house, i also have a Halogen heater as in a previous post and that really warms it up. It's been -2 all day here and i've been up the loft all day most of the time without the heater on.
Tim
aka Forfarian

bristolmidland

Postby bristolmidland » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:08 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry bufferstop no garage or outbuildings here. Just an Edwardian terrace with two beds. I insulated most of the roof with cheap polystyrene boards from b and q but I am going upmarket next year and buying kingspan which is what I should have done in the first place. Trouble with my loft is that the Memsahib wants access to all her junk, sorry, heirlooms so I can't insulate down to the floor. Leaving the hatch open a while helps but how about whiskey? Trouble is of course too many of them and heat will be the least of my problems as I fall down the hatch. All I really need is about £100,000 to buy a bigger house.

Steve
On top of everything else my football team is owned by chicken farmers.

Forfarian

Postby Forfarian » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:07 pm

I have a small selection of Malts (30 bottles) and 10ltrs of Sloe gin, for medicinal purposes only of course, they can be used for keeping out the cold at rugby matches and a wee after dinner tipple. :D
Tim
aka Forfarian

MrH

Postby MrH » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:13 pm

I went in the loft today it felt warm shame about the pools of water seems the roof is leaking :shock:
My layouts

Trucks in a Tizzy - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48086

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:24 pm

I spent 21 years with an uninsulated, unheated attic model railway. Now having my new house's attic converted with proper 9" thick roof insulation with plaster board etc and radiators. A good 28" x 13" space now. Costs a packet but can be easily converted into two rooms if I want to move one. All built to code.

clivef5915

Postby clivef5915 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:15 pm

I don't wish to be sizest but streuth, just how short are you! And in a room that size, what scale are you thinking of using.

Unread postby D605Eagle » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:24 am
I spent 21 years with an uninsulated, unheated attic model railway. Now having my new house's attic converted with proper 9" thick roof insulation with plaster board etc and radiators. A good 28" x 13" space now. Costs a packet but can be easily converted into two rooms if I want to move one. All built to code.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40184/Bath Queen Square - as never was !

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”