A question and i need to vent.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
LittleReggie

Re: A question and i need to vent.

Postby LittleReggie » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:54 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the SL-14 track pins intended for N scale, whereas the ST-280 pins are for OO/HO?

Would the ST-280s be suitable for N scale too?

Reg.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:58 pm

LittleReggie wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the SL-14 track pins intended for N scale, whereas the ST-280 pins are for OO/HO?

Would the ST-280s be suitable for N scale too?

Reg.

All three types of pin are suitable for N and OO (and O). The SL prefix stands for Peco Streamline, The ST Stands for Peco setrack and IL stands for Peco Individulay. The SL-14 pins are only good for pinning streamline track to soft fibreboard.
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Rabspat

Postby Rabspat » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:18 pm

I see where it all went wrong thanks, when I brought the pins they guy gave me the SL-14 pins I never thought anything about it, never knew they had 2 types either. Got them awhile back the shop has now closed down. Oh well got Hornby pins now and some screws mentioned before so I just need to get going again.
SIMON
IN PROGRESS
"Daunton" oo gauge end to end Branchline, using DMU's and EMU's in different eras and regions. But general theme would be Kent area with some stations with the SR era colour. Be Starting Board 1 this week I at a time.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:08 pm

i tried to use hornby ones but they just kept bending :twisted:

i went looking for alternatives and found these which worked better i think its because they have flat heads? i also invested in a thingy that you place over the pin and hit it with a hammer to drive it in - sorry no idea what they are called :lol: - its basically a long metal stick i got mine from wilko but it means you reduce risk of hitting things other then the track pin!

another thing i found useful was a pin vice, i used it to make a small hole to place the track pin in as it holds it in place and makes driving it in easier

currently using left over track pins instead of full sized nails with my home made static grass applicator

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”