A question and i need to vent.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Rabspat

A question and i need to vent.

Postby Rabspat » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:02 pm

I just started work on my layout, got the frame work and baseboard done, cut 4 pieces of MDF to the 18mm height needed and in the shape wanted for the platforms. Got all that done and secure with the Peco Concrete Platform edging stuck down too. Then came the track which I had one disaster and have one question:

First the question, how far away from the edging should that track be?

Now disaster, more annoying than disaster, I brought peco track pins as I was told they fit Hornby track as as they was cheaper I thought nothing of it till tonight, not one pin in the whole pack fit the track, they was all too small, so if you held the track level and put a track pin in the hole and let go it would fall right through. So now I have to wait a couple of days for Hornby pins to arrive to carry on. Seems like I am not meant to have this layout as very thing is trying to stop me, first illness, then work to be done on house, now track pins...
SIMON
IN PROGRESS
"Daunton" oo gauge end to end Branchline, using DMU's and EMU's in different eras and regions. But general theme would be Kent area with some stations with the SR era colour. Be Starting Board 1 this week I at a time.

Pete

Re: A question and i need to vent.

Postby Pete » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:10 pm

Hi

Don't use track pins, they will always be frustrating and I guarantee you will get no less than three stuck under your finger nails within an hour of opening the pack.

Instead use small csk screws between the sleepers, they will allow you to lay your track and fully adjust it until you are completely satisfied, then you ballast as normal, once the ballast has set it will hold the track down, all you need do then is remove the screws and fill the holes.

Should you ever decide to lift the track, you can do it easily without damage using a flat scraper and some warm water.

As for how far from the edge, I'm afraid I don't know a fixed dimension, I always set it up with my widest loco or wagon.

Hope this helps, don't give up!!

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:18 pm

And by chance here's an example from my previous layout:- note screws between sleepers.

Don't ask why an ABJ is is on my GW Branchline...these things happen... :|

Pete

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:18 pm

I am with Pete as far as track laying goes.

As for your platform measurements, every thing you need to know can be found Here

I would suggest trying out a few locos and stock before permanently fixing anything.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Hi

Don't despair. We all have our moments at the railway when we would like to tear out our hair (if we had any!) or jack the whole thing in. A day or two away usually allows you to see things in a better light and a new strategy formed to tackle the problem.

With regards the distance between platforms, I unfortunately don't have an answer. I haven't quite reached that stage of construction.

For fixing track to the baseboard i use the approach of drawing pins at intervals along the track until satisfied with the positioning. The pins with the stumpy ends (map pins i think) are best as these pull out easily and can then be reused. Once satisfied with the positioning I mark the track along both sides with a marker pen and then remove sections of track and glue the area with PVA then relay using the pins again until the glue is dried. Having wired everything I can check all runs ok. If there are any problems the glued track lifts very easily with a little pressure from a flat bladed screwdriver and no damage to the track.

I hope that is of some help and good luck with the project.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:53 am

The diagram Lofty linked to is the standard one for straight platforms and works well. If you have a platform on a curve the accepted way to profile the platform is as follows.

1) Lay a piece of paper between the tracks right up to the sleeper edges, use a larger sheet and trim as required.
2) For curves where the platform is at the inside of the curve, using an elastic band strap a pencil to the middle of the longest coach you have and run the coach round the curve with the pencil touching the paper, this will give you the line of the platform edge that will clear the rolling stock.
3) For curves where the platform is at the outside of the curve, the pencil should be strapped to the end of the loco or coach with the longest overhang, you might want to experiment with various coaches or locos to see which has the longest overhang, examples being the front bufferbeam of a 4-6-0 locomotive or the front edge of a class 40/45. Again run the vehicle round the curve with the pencil touching the paper, this will give you the line of the platform edge that will clear the rolling stock. Think to the future here, do you have plans to buy a loco which may have a more extreme foul condition, take this into consideration!!
4) Cut the paper template to the pencil line and transfer the profile to your MDF/other platform material and you should have a platform that will give you no problems and will look good.

Hope this helps.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:55 pm

Pete wrote:Don't use track pins,

They have their uses.
Just not for anything to do with track :P

Pete

Postby Pete » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:40 pm

They have their uses.

And how many found their way under your finger nails?

:D

I've used them for rivets on a steam punk Dalek.

P.

Rabspat

Postby Rabspat » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:13 am

Thanks all. Well after a couple days I have found my self still wanting to carry on and coming up with new ideas for the layout. Thanks to you all I have now several solutions for fixing track so I am going to test all.
SIMON
IN PROGRESS
"Daunton" oo gauge end to end Branchline, using DMU's and EMU's in different eras and regions. But general theme would be Kent area with some stations with the SR era colour. Be Starting Board 1 this week I at a time.

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:01 pm

I wouldn't recommend using Peco pins at all for fixing track down. I would recommend the fatter pins like the Hornby ones. Lima did make fixing screws which were 0.8mm wide which were good, but they are hard to find nowadays and also there is some alternatives available now which are quite cheap. If you use MDF board, just use a small drill bit to make the hole for the screws and you are all set. Oh and if you get the silver ones, a lick of matt black paint should camouflage them a bit within the ballast when/if you decide to ballast the track :).

If you get to a sticky/frustrating bit of construction of the layout. I have been there myself and I tend to take a couple of days to think about it and here is a tip. If you have a long carriage like a Hornby MkIII, When you have laid all the track down. Before you fix it all into place, just run the carriage around the track, checking for clearances/obstructions within the "overhang" of the carriage (this is the middle bit of the carriage). This will be useful especially if you plan to have platforms on or very near to curves as when I first started out with my very first layout. I had issues where my Lima HST very often mounted the curved platform sections because I failed to take track geometry into account :oops: :lol:.
Ash - A Thoroughbred Railway Fan ;).

60008 and D306 are the best Diesels Ever!
http://www.youtube.com/EWS60008

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:04 pm

I think some clarity is required here because Peco actually manufacture more than one type of track pin. The SL-14 track fixing pins are long and thin and have a head not much bigger than a dressmaking pin. They are made of a very soft metal and bend very easily. They are meant for fixing track to soft fibreboard such as "Sundeala" board. They are not suitable at all for any types of other board such as MDF or low density chipboard. They are also no good for Peco Setrack or any Hornby track with pre drilled holes as the pins will just drop through the holes.

The type of pins which are suitable for harder bases andall types of track are Peco ST-208 10 mm track fixing pins (better than the Hornby R207 type) which are made of steel and a lot stronger than the SL-14 pins. The picture above showing pins in a boat hull look like SL-14s. Glueing track is never a good way of fixing track because it effectively means you can never recycle the track and re0use it again if you want to change the layout round.

Peco also do brass track pins IL-11 which are the same as the steel ones and good for outdoor layouts where steel ones are inappropriate

I recommend the ST-208 or IL-11 pins for fixing all track to most hard types of baseboards.
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:16 pm

Thanks for bringing this up to light as I was unaware that Peco made "proper" fixing pins for the pre-drilled mounting holes that you commonly see on set track and some flexitrack. I will look into the other Peco pins and I shall make a mental note of the ST-208 pins now that I am aware of them ;).

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:28 pm

My apologies the Catalogue number is ST-280 not ST-208

Some on eBay Here
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:34 pm

No bother bud :).

Thanks for the link, I am now going to get some in stock ready for my new layout which all will become clear soon. If you are into the 1979-present era, this should be in your element mate ;).

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:33 pm

My "era" starts a little earlier than that. It goes back to the time when I was a teenager in the early '70s when things were very blue and occasionally two tone green! A dreadful time for the railways in general with the effects of the "re shaping" plan still being felt (i.e. the closing of the Ilfracombe branch in 1970) the but an interesting time to model and look back on.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”