Class 37, Which way to go?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Rabspat

Class 37, Which way to go?

Postby Rabspat » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:03 pm

I already got a Class 60 after discussing it here. Now Class 37 time. Now the one that takes my fancy is http://www.ehattons.com/52591/Bachmann_Branchline_32_781A_Class_37_0_37034_BR_Blue_Split_Head_Code_Weathered/StockDetail.aspx. Now I noticed that Vi Trains are cheaper, now I done some research over the 2, Vi Trains has a LOT of stuff to fit and the biggest downer is the Traction tire. Now for the Bachmann I couldn't find much info, now either I have missed the reviews in my search or they are not worth reviewing.

So again I come here to seek info on what company is worth going for..
SIMON
IN PROGRESS
"Daunton" oo gauge end to end Branchline, using DMU's and EMU's in different eras and regions. But general theme would be Kent area with some stations with the SR era colour. Be Starting Board 1 this week I at a time.

Tiddles

Re: Class 37, Which way to go?

Postby Tiddles » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:28 am

The third and cheaper option is a Lima 37.

Fit fine scale wheels and fill the empty body with as much weight and/or electrics you want. Buffer beam detail can be added as and when you want/need to.
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”

SRman

Postby SRman » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:43 am

Summarising:

The Bachmann 37 is slightly quieter than the ViTrains one, although the latter is by no means noisy. Both are smooth and powerful.

As you have already worked out, there are a lot more detail parts to fit to the ViTrains one.

Bachmann now use a 21 pin decoder, ViTrains still use 8 pin (irrelevant if you don't use DCC).

Overall I think Bachmann's finish is better bit ViTrains improved with each release.

The thing that really puts me off buying more ViTrains 37s, at any price, is the couplings. They chose to use a different standard (but still NEM) to everyone else which means that couplings are difficult to replace - worse if you want to change to Kadees.

For value for money, the ViTrains probably wins (they are often cheaper, but not always) but Bachmann ones sometimes come up on specials as here: http://www.ehattons.com/32719/Bachmann_Branchline_32_387_Class_37_5_37506_in_Railfreight_red_stripe_livery_with_flush_front_/StockDetail.aspx. It really depends on what liveries you want too.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:22 am

Here's another way of looking at it. If going for current RTR which sounds better, a manufacturer with a large and steadily expanding range, or one that has a two loco range and increasingly infrequent production?

scottm

Postby scottm » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:33 pm

The new ViTrains models dont have traction tyres.

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:18 pm

I have both Bachmann and Vitrains 37s my only issue is that my Vitrains do not have NEM pockets.
All Aboooooard !!

VonkeyVong

Postby VonkeyVong » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:35 pm

I have both and the Bachmann model is the the clear winner.

The reasons I say this are:

1. DCC
Bachmann- 21 pin (8 pin on older models)
Vitrains- 8 pin

2. Drive
Bachmann- Centre mounted motor driving both bogies and all six axles no traction tyres
Vitrains- Centre mounted motor driving both bogies and four axles older models have traction tyres

3. Lighting
Bachmann- Full directional (with toned down head code) and cab lighting on all 21 pin models. 8 pin models can have no lighting or just head code and front markers
Vitrains- Full directional lighting however the lights for the head code panels are bright and unrealistic

4. couplings
Bachann- NEM small couplings in NEM pockets.
Vitrains- Small couplings which fit into weird vertical pocket, ok but they can quite easily drop out.

5. Body and details
Bachmann- All 21 pin models are well modelled and detailed in general. They leave only buffer beam detail for the owner to fit. Metal buffers.
Vitrains- It is a nice well turned out model however, the colours they use are just to vivid somehow, there are a lot of parts which need fitting before you even get to the buffer beam detail, the wheels are not blackened, and the glazing and fan grilles are a bit toy like. Plastic buffers.

6. Spares
Bachmann- Just phone them up, order and pay and you have them a couple of days later.
Vitrains- Who knows, probably from their importer.

If Vitrains or Lima/Hornby was the choice Vitrains would win every time but the Bachmann model is just that little bit better in every area and is worth paying that bit extra for.
Bachmann 37's are regularly on offer:

http://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/Ba ... Weathered/
http://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/Ba ... ed-Stripe/
http://www.ehattons.com/32719/Bachmann_ ... etail.aspx
http://www.modelfair.com/product/59567/ ... -weathered
Last edited by VonkeyVong on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:28 am

When looking at older Lima models as suggested, then choice of a particular livery unavailable in the two main manufacturers would be my only reason to choose Lima. Living downunder, I could have a new Bachmann 37 class for around $20.00 more than a twenty or so year old Lima model (both inclusive of shipping cost). As regards the ViTrains, as suggested irregular supply is an issue. I believe Hattons has a very limited livery range available. The prices at other than box shifters with greater livery variety, for ViTrains, makes them an unattractive choice.

Tim

Rabspat

Postby Rabspat » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:19 pm

SIMON
IN PROGRESS
"Daunton" oo gauge end to end Branchline, using DMU's and EMU's in different eras and regions. But general theme would be Kent area with some stations with the SR era colour. Be Starting Board 1 this week I at a time.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”