Perth show

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Forfarian

Perth show

Postby Forfarian » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:23 am

Any one going to Perth today?
Tim
aka Forfarian

Forfarian

Re: Perth show

Postby Forfarian » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:54 pm

Just home from Perth MR show, all the usual - long hair-BO and rucksacks.
Quite a few complaints about prices in general, but some of the old/SH locos with tyres were unreal prices.
The layouts were all high standard, even if you were barged out of the way by the camera crowd when a train moved
Still a good show, most of the stalls were doing good trade, but i didn't see much new stuff being bought loco wise

I don't think i'll bother next year
Tim
aka Forfarian

scottm

Postby scottm » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:05 pm

Forfarian wrote:Just home from Perth MR show, all the usual - long hair-BO and rucksacks.
Quite a few complaints about prices in general, but some of the old/SH locos with tyres were unreal prices.
The layouts were all high standard, even if you were barged out of the way by the camera crowd when a train moved
Still a good show, most of the stalls were doing good trade, but i didn't see much new stuff being bought loco wise

I don't think i'll bother next year

To be fair, the problems you mention aren't exclusive to the Perth show, its generally experienced at busy shows. I didn't think it was that bad when I visited on Saturday. I had the odd bump from someones rucksack, the prices of secondhand loco's in general seems to be higher these days anyway (especially Lima 37's) plus a lot of those traders you will see at other shows. Its probably my favourite show in Scotland and I include the SECC in that.

I think its important that we encourage these shows because with the hassle involved in setting them up it would be easy for the organisers just to stop putting them on. No doubt when that happens the same people who complain about shows now will then bemaon their disappearance.

Jill the stationcat

Postby Jill the stationcat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:06 pm

quote="Forfarian"]Just home from Perth MR show, all the usual - long hair-BO and rucksacks.

I don't think i'll bother next year[/quote]

You maybe visited a different show from me?

OK rucksacks/old rocker hairdos and personal hygiene of the visitors are not the problem of the organisers, but if the exhibitors/traders at a show are the culprits... :D :D :D O(Perth MRC organisers please note the multiple smileys as they are not aimed at you )

I was there (Perth) on the Saturday and overheard many comments from visitors/layout owners/trade stands that 'the show was much more 'friendly and welcoming' than Glasgow'.

I know the show I prefer, no rip off car charges for a start....(don't get me started on the rest for the Weegeee show :evil: )

Perth is THE Scottish show for me.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:53 am

Jill the stationcat wrote:I know the show I prefer, no rip off car charges for a start....(don't get me started on the rest for the Weegeee show :evil: )

A tip for all who attend the Glasgow show and need to use the car - follow the signs for the Glasgow Science Centre and part there, you only have a short walk via the footbridge over the Clyde - £3 for the day, half the price of the SECC!!
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Jill the stationcat

Postby Jill the stationcat » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:16 pm

uote="luckymucklebackit"]
Jill the stationcat wrote:I know the show I prefer, no rip off car charges for a start....(don't get me started on the rest for the Weegeee show :evil: )

A tip for all who attend the Glasgow show and need to use the car - follow the signs for the Glasgow Science Centre and part there, you only have a short walk via the footbridge over the Clyde - £3 for the day, half the price of the SECC!![/quote]

Good tip, (which I might use in future :D ) but if Perth can provide free parking if you are paying to get into a show why can't 'the Glasgow show' give the same??? OK sorry I forgot, the organisers seem to be out to get the max Wonga they can get :twisted:

craw607

Postby craw607 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:49 pm

I maybe wrong but think the car park is run by an independent company and not by
the organisers of shows might even be the SECC who own it?
Should of looked first but it states SECC provides car parking facility at a price of £6
so I would presume the SECC get the money and not the show organisers
John

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:26 am

The SECC is owned and run by a holding company SEC Ltd, which is 91% owned by Glasgow City Council and 9% owned by private investors. The car park is owned by the SEC, so given the chain of command it is no surprise that the charges are high. Glasgows "Blue Meanies", the city traffic wardens, are well known for their ruthlessness.
I was involved with a club that exhibited at the Glasgow show in the 1990s, and attended some organising meetings, even back then it cost £17,000 to hire the hall for the weekend. It is not a cheap venue, but there are precious few alternatives.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

thorkon

Postby thorkon » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:25 pm

I live near Perth and have attended the show for many years. I remember when it was in the Perth City Hall.
This year it was bigger which led to a narrowing of many walkways between stands.
So much to see meant staying longer at show, which led to more people being in the halls and bunching.
Backpacks are a pain at any exhibition but it would be brave organisers who would take a stand.
I stopped going to SECC some 8 years ago as I thought the balance between trade and layout stands was getting
out of kilter.
The Perth show is maintaining a good balance but has grown in size to the point that it is in danger of following SECC in
forgetting the need to entertain that part of those attending who do not wish to purchase model railway bitz.
Next year?.......... jury is out.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”