Modelzone in administration Further Developments

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
hiffano

Re: Modelzone in administration Further Developments

Postby hiffano » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:44 pm

A new store is opening in Manchester, Phoenix models, to be honest not sure if it is in the same building but i think so as the same staff to my knowledge.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

RuffnutThorston

Postby RuffnutThorston » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:19 pm

73082gibbers wrote:Hi all! Just got given the news all employees have been dreading...

My store - Bromley - is set to close for the last time to the public on Thursday 12th September at 2100 (INTU Bromley has Latenight shopping) and we have to be out by Saturday. I've decided, that even though I won't technically be working for the company as of monday 2nd, that I shall go in on the Saturday and assist with the various jobs that need doing. I believe that this closing date is the same for all the other remaining 17 stores.

Nathan...

From another place...

I've heard that Derby will be one of the last to close on 14th September.

Modelzone Chester, I was in yesterday morning, Thursday 22nd August, for a few bits. (Of course, some things I was looking at last time had gone by this visit... :( )

Chester is another with a closing date of 14 September. (Could this be the final frontier?)

Still plenty of stock.

Quite a pile of BM Scenecraft.

Bachmann Locos, inc. a Blue Pullman with yellow fronts.

A small amount of Bachmannwagons and coaches.

The usual MZ specials, IKB, etc.

Very little PECO points or Ratio kits.

A fair amount of N gauge.

(Plenty of Hornby.)

Still plenty of paints, Zap glues, etc.

No Evergeen Styrene in sight. (Still a little metal sections...)

Plenty of Woodland Scenics greenery, etc.

A good pile of Metcalfe.

At least one Gaugemaster controller.

(Downstairs RC etc. not checked, but it wasn't empty...)

johnco

Postby johnco » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:52 pm

Like Sarah I was at mz in Chester on Thursday morning, I wanted a couple of peco points, they only had two and those were not the ones I wanted.
I got the impression that the staff did not really want to be there, a real atmosphere of gloom and doom but one can understand it.
Today I visited the model shop in
Rhuddlannear Rhyl and got what I wanted.

AlunKimber

Postby AlunKimber » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:15 pm

See piccie - MZ in Bluewater still on the Bluewater map but closed for good sometime before Wednesday 20th. Hadn't made money for ages, apparently.
But also went to Invicta later that day - seems to be on the ball - smaller than Signal Box and less rolling stock in evidence right now - though early days, of course. Had the ballast I needed plus some things I didn't realise I needed until I saw them - which is always the sign of a good shop!
Cheers
Alun

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:05 pm

From a posting on ModelRailway Express,

This afternoon is has been announced that all remaining Modelzone stores will close on Thursday 12th September and Saturday 14th September. Bromley and Signalbox (Rochester) are closing on the 12th.

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:24 pm

I went into the Kingston branch last weekend hoping to find some N gauge stuff, alas most of it had already gone, although there was still a reasonable amount of OO locos and rolling stock. I couldn't leave empty handed though, and with the extra 20% off coupon from the email I picked up a 1/350 King George V, cracking model!

Jimmy
My N gauge layout in the workshop
Layout

seasprite

Postby seasprite » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:13 am

Anyone know if the Meadowhall branch is still open or closed?

ASFC

Postby ASFC » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:51 am

seasprite wrote:Anyone know if the Meadowhall branch is still open or closed?

Long gone. Shut on 13th August.
My New N gauge layout thread 'Chinley': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41038

My Old N gauge layout thread 'Ollerton': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32899

DonnyRailMan

Postby DonnyRailMan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:05 am

This is the first I have seen about ModelZone had a break from the hobby this summer
not even been past my local Modelzone shop(AKA TAG MODELS that was). The staff in
my local shop are first class most helpful.
Well this is a shame because Modelzone have bought up small independent shops over
the last few years in our high streets. It reminds me of the Jessops Photography chain
of stores situation .

73082gibbers

Postby 73082gibbers » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:08 pm

Got a letter from the administrators today.. My contract officially gets terminated on Saturday 14th... Whether or not this means I'll be entitled to redundancy pay I don't know, as they have 'been unable to source an alternative job for me', however I'll be 13 days into my Apprenticeship with Southern by then...

With regards to who ever was talking about N gauge stuff, all the track got sent away long ago.

Nathan...
Southern by location, Eastern by heart

73082gibbers

Postby 73082gibbers » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Tomorrow marks the final day of business for the company! To Joe Public that is... Remaining fittings and stock will be sold off (former) and packed up for return to owners (latter) until Saturday when the shutters will close for good. Well, that's the case for Bromley, not sure about the other 16, and Signalbox...
Southern by location, Eastern by heart

DonnyRailMan

Postby DonnyRailMan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Here`s hoping the staff from Modelzone stores find new employment .

GeoFF03

Postby GeoFF03 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:42 pm

I've just stumbled on an interesting snippet of news on the W H Smiths employment pages:

"We are looking for people to join our team at the Gateshead store (probably means the Metro Center branch) working in our new, Modelzone department which is opening by early November.

The Modelzone department is a new concept for WHSmith and will stock a range of new, exciting products such as die-cast models, radio controlled vehicles, plastic models & trains.

You will be responsible for providing exceptional customer service whilst demonstrating extensive product knowledge to maximise sales."

Could it be that Smiths are taking over from the Modelzone? And if so, in how many locations?
Last edited by GeoFF03 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:48 pm

the Cambridge WHS store had a section of models last weekend - on 3 for 2 as well!

they had a few Hornby bits but mostly rail road stuff and a decent selection of Airfix kits some Humbrol paints and a few Revel kits as well

worked out well as i had a £5 off a £15 spend voucher as well so grabbed 3 sets of points for £10 :D

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:50 pm

There are rumblings in other forums about this.. as yet it appears to be speculation but there is no reason to believe it isn't true other than there is nothing official yet. I would suggest perhaps if WH Smith have bought the business they may only have bought the name which was a well established name on the high street and that is where the similarity between the old MZ and the WHS version ends.
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”