Modelzone in administration Further Developments

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Biscuits

Modelzone in administration Further Developments

Postby Biscuits » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:09 pm

"On 25 June 2013, Richard Michael Hawes, Nicholas Guy Edwards and Robert James Harding of Deloitte LLP were appointed Joint Administrators of Modelzone Holdings Limited, The Amerang Group Limited, Modelzone Limited and Amerang Limited (together the "Companies"). The affairs, business and property of the Companies are being managed by the Joint Administrators. The Joint Administrators act as agents of the Companies only and contract without personal liability. The Joint Administrators are authorised by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW). All licensed Insolvency Practitioners of Deloitte LLP are licensed in the UK"

SirMeliot

Re: Modelzone in administration

Postby SirMeliot » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:29 pm

Bugger. I was trying to buy some stuff off there last night and the website was acting up.
Never bothered much with the shops but I was buying a fair bit online from them.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Does Modelzone own the shops or are they franchised? It's always surprised me the number of high cost locations they have. A large shop on Deansgate in Manchester and another at the Trafford Centre strikes me as competing with themselves.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

whynot

Postby whynot » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:13 pm

"Bugger. I was trying to buy some stuff off there last night and the website was acting up."

Possibly lucky - your payment may have been frozen before despatch!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:28 pm

I just read something in Rail Express about them opening a new store on New Oxford Street in London. What an upset.
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.

sub39h

Postby sub39h » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:48 pm

bit disappointing as I was hoping to get some CCTs. glad i didn't preorder them now just in case the worst happens. not all that surprised tho - they charge an arm and a leg for their items. apart from ModelZone exclusives and the odd sale item it never seems worth it to buy from there. local model shops are cheaper and usually better stocked anyway!

sandtrain

Postby sandtrain » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:59 pm

Its said to be according to its former owner. that it expanded from 25 to 50 stores in far too short a time - and didnt offer people what they were wanting

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:02 pm

am sure the limited editions will be picked up by others or the Bachmann Collectors Club...
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:11 pm

signalbox also gone (part of modelzone)

http://www.thesignalbox.co.uk/signalbox-holding/

sandtrain

Postby sandtrain » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:17 pm

its sad that Signal box has gone....found them generally good to deal with

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:28 pm

Definately sad that Signal Box has gone as I also dealt with them and found the staff very helpful for overseas orders. Given that Signal Box had over twenty years experience selling goods, maybe the closure is temporary as it may be a franchise and may rise like a phoenix from the ashes. Let us hope, but then it may not have the same 'buying power' to offer box shifter prices.

Tim

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:42 pm

I think there's an optimum size for a chain of model shops and it's not particularly large. I think a group of independent shops pooling orders for discounts is probably a better set up than a centrally managed chain.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

hornbyandbf3fan

Postby hornbyandbf3fan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:49 pm

I'm sad that thesignalbox has gone. I only just discovered them and although the website didn't show they were out of stock on a product I wanted, I found them helpful.
15 and a railway fan, something very rare now
My youtubehttp://www.youtube.com/user/hornbyandbf3fan?feature=mhee

sub39h

Postby sub39h » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:50 pm

Bufferstop wrote:I think there's an optimum size for a chain of model shops and it's not particularly large. I think a group of independent shops pooling orders for discounts is probably a better set up than a centrally managed chain.

you say this, but apparently they didn't own any of their Hornby stock - Hornby essentially had a concession inside every MZ. so for model railway point of view, they didn't have their money tied up in THAT much stock

probably also the reason why when the Holborn store moved the Bachmann items went on sale for example, but the Hornby ones didn't. if i were a betting man i'd bet that if they have an administration clearance sale that the same will happen again

also in regards to Signal Box, i had dealings with them and found them helpful as well. thing is despite being part of MZ they functioned pretty much independently of them. they didn't even have sales at the same times, or on the same items, or at the same prices! i reckon that part will probably live to see another day.

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:16 pm

That's sad news.
As I don't purchase online, there's not an awful lot of choice left for me for kits, rail bits and the odd pot of paint. For the odd small item, the postage would preclude it's purchase.
All I can think of, that remains in my area is Hobbycraft ......for now !!

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”