A question about UTA livery.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Boxcar Willie

A question about UTA livery.

Postby Boxcar Willie » Wed May 01, 2013 4:49 pm

I am in the process of tarting up an old Hornby 3F I got on E-bay for about a tenner a while back. I already have two more - one in factory weathered LMS livery and another which I made up from bits given to me by club mates. The cut-and-shut is done in extremely weathered NCC livery; I think I posted pictures on here when it was done. It doesn't run particularly well but it looks the part of one of the old 0-6-0s that were sent by the LMS to Northern Ireland and which ended up shunting coal wagons in Belfast docks. This is going to be done up with the Ulster Transport Authority logo on the tanks; it is in this regard I have a question.

What colour lining (if any) was applied to these locos by the UTA? The only picture I have is in a book and is monochrome so it doesn't show the colour scheme very well. I did stumble across a colour one on Flickr but it appears to be some kind of composite image done with Photoshop. This picture, incidentally, has the tanks and cab lined out with orange but I'm not 100% sure whether this is correct.

whynot

Re: A question about UTA livery.

Postby whynot » Wed May 01, 2013 5:28 pm

IF you haven't already asked them, I expect someone here

rpsitrains@hotmail.com

would know!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Boxcar Willie

Postby Boxcar Willie » Fri May 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Ahem...

DSC_0338.JPG
DSC_0338.JPG (76.99 KiB) Viewed 919 times

steviesparx

Postby steviesparx » Sun May 05, 2013 1:19 pm

Flicking through my 'Ulster Transport Authority in Colour', I found one picture of an ex-LMS 3F...

It's not very high res, but does show the loco lined pretty much as per your picture, although the lining is much finer - small logo is on tank sides, number on cab side.

The lining on other locos is shown much clearer - the lining appears to be actually two colours, red and orange / cream, which from a distance appears blends into an overall orangey effect. Quite often the loco con rods and some of the valve gear are also picked out in red.

If you want to try and track a copy of the book, author is a Derek Young, ISBN is 1-904242-66-9

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Sun May 05, 2013 4:41 pm

UTA 19 Y Class 0-6-0 York Rd Belfast 10-06-1957a by K9-70, on Flickr

I don't have a colour photo of the engine, but if I remember correctly, there's a rare colour photo of No.18 in the book, Irish Railways in Colour, A Second Glance.
If I can locate my copy, i'll double check the photo.

I think the lining is straw colour.
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

Boxcar Willie

Postby Boxcar Willie » Sun May 05, 2013 5:31 pm

The composite picture I saw on flickr had orange lining; one of the guys down at the club reckoned it might be LMS style straw coloured lining. The model did have BR red and white lining but as BR didn't line them in real life I got rid of it before painting it. The lining is my first attempt at using a ruling pen as demonstrated by George Dent in the latest Model Rail; it's a bit rough but there's quite a learning curve regarding the correct consistency of the paint used and so on. I made the number plates from bits of old brass but I might redo them as they're a tad too big and are slightly bent. Otherwise I think a bit of weathering will cover a multitude.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”