What is it with some modellers?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
bike2steam

Re: What is it with some modellers?

Postby bike2steam » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:43 pm

thomas the plank engine wrote:[quote=
The hobby is rife with them unfortuantely. Luckily for us most of them reside on rmweb and not here. :wink:

Never a truer word said, stand up proud and take a bow :) :) :)

Ian[/quote]

Well, it is too big, and therefore has a lot of 'nerds', and know it alls, - and that's just the moderators :D .
No seriously, you find the same problems in all walks of life - such is life.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:18 pm

Lysander wrote:
b308 wrote:
LittleReggie wrote:I don't think this type of behaviour is limited to railway modellers

Quite!

Little old ladies with umbrellas at jumble sales - they could have taken Poland in two days......

Tony

Thats got to be the quote of the week! :lol: :lol:

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:33 pm

Don't laugh - they are utterly ruthless - I've got the scars......!

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

GHOSTFAN

Postby GHOSTFAN » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:35 pm

I once posted on RM WEB that in my opinion the Blood and Custard livery was a name that covered a multitude of sins(well 2 actually) and that is was a slang term for two different but similar liveries;Carmine and Cream(an almost off white...but richer than split milk that was used with a pale plum originally),which was replaced with a Crimson,and a slightly more yellowish,Cream
It is only my opinion of course but based on much experience having travelled from Woodside to Chester,Abergele and all points Wales and as I always wanted to get into a better looking "Red and White" coaches than the darker less attractive to me livery.
It felt like being ripped apart by wolves,even though I was there.I remember it.
It must be lovely to be an expert on something that you're not even old enough to have witnessed with your own eyes.
Sorry for the anti RM Web rant.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:48 pm

You go for it Ghostfan. Its a nasty forum for nasty people

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:30 pm

Ooooh, steady on now chaps........

We're not all nasty you know ! I try not to be over-critical of other sites when posting openly but do I share some of the posted concerns here. There is a huge membership of the other place however, including many of ourselves, and only a very small number of them are pompous and aggressive. I always feel it a great shame when those who have genuine knowledge cannot share it in good grace, and help others learn, or brook different views.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:34 pm

Well Tony, I think your very brave posting on there! :D

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:39 pm

There are quite a few decent people that use both this forum and RMWeb, and other forums for that matter.

Every one that uses this one is not necessarily good and those who use others are not necessarily bad.

Please refrain from further RMWeb bashing

Thanks

Lofty

beeman
Location: Within earshot of the sea and the Paignton&Dartmouth

Postby beeman » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:59 pm

he hobby is rife with them unfortunately. Luckily for us most of them reside on rmweb and not here
Nice to see there are other like minded souls like Me. :lol: Beeman. Ps Lofty you could feel different had you fell foul to them with some 'trivia' you posted/ suggested they got upset by.
You wo'nt find you 'CAN' unless you 'TRY'.

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:45 am

beeman wrote:
Ps Lofty you could feel different had you fell foul to them with some 'trivia' you posted/ suggested they got upset by.

I have an account on there I do not use it very often but I have never had any problems, but that is not the point. The bottom line is that RMWeb business is their business. If you wrote a letter to magazine A slagging of readers of magazine B it would not be printed, the staff at this forum simply ask that members do not slag off other forums.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:21 pm

TK421-I found the same problem when a friend of mine got me to tag along to a Star wars convention at an old cinema/theatre in Watford many years ago(called Empire Day).
About the only highlight of a disappointing day was to chat to the late Don Henderson(he's one of those around Moff Tarkin's table on the Death Star) & he was a lovely bloke to chat to.But what did it for me was the mass scrums to stalls & the obscene amounts people were paying for original & recent stuff(figures etc).
It actually put me off the whole thing & never been to a similar event since(not that I went through choice anyway).
But I know what you mean & would be quite annoyed,seeing as I take my children to these events.
I won't be going to the Norwich one this year but may attend a few of the ones a little nearer.Aylsham's show is usually really good & Alfie responded very positively to itlast year,as well as an event being held in Holt in 2012.NoRAMS at Hellesdon school was perhaps a bit too busy for him....

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:34 pm

It'll only get worse ......
As the Child (self) centred view of the world expands, as it will ......
Best to be behind a layout, with no access other than crawling under,
That Just about keeps the selfish ones at bay !!!!
Oh and it's not the kids that damage stuff on your layout - look out for the
middle aged (or older) woman ....... And they are not modellers ..... The
rucksack carrying human ? in a hurry .....
Life is so full of interesting experiences !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

llanigraham

Postby llanigraham » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:47 pm

What?
No one mentioned the lack of deodorant use?

TK421

Postby TK421 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:39 pm

I'm sure one of them ventured onto ebay, he told me I was misleading buyers because i had called a coach a maunsell and that it wasn't one due to several detail errors. The coach in question was of the old hornby tooling, I had no box and was unaware the word Maunsell was not used to describe the coach by hornby. I wrote back to him and said it looks like one to me and gave him a list of other sellers all doing the same as me, as well as a list of other incorrect hornby models.

He wrote back to tell me he had told the other sellers the same, it turned out that this splendid gentleman had been inconvenienced by us harsh, cruel and quite dishonest sellers because he was looking for the new hornby tolling and these coaches where getting in his way. He then went on to give me all the manufacturing errors hornby had made and why it wasn't a Maunsell yet seemed to have not mentioned my point of the incorrect 08, class 37 with 47 bogies etc.

I replied, well I'm still calling it a maunsell. Like poking a hornet's nest with a stick he came back at me saying I was either blatantly ripping people off or just very thick because he now noticed I had called a lima BG a GUV! He was right I was about to rip someone off for £2! I thanked him for pointing out my error and that I would rectify it and finished the message now go back to counting your rivits! Followed by a good old fashioned block. All because he didn't want his time wasted looking for a certain coach :roll:
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

GarrettTheThief

Postby GarrettTheThief » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:03 pm

TK, I think there's nothing wrong with striving for better detail and the "rivet counters" are responsible for the better quality stock you can get now. However, what that guy did was inherently dickish.
Last edited by GarrettTheThief on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Thanks for taking that personality test for me."
"I'm not sure you'll find it useful. I answered everything with a joke."
"Oh, it told me a lot. For instance, you're not funny."

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”