What is it with some modellers?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
TK421

What is it with some modellers?

Postby TK421 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:57 pm

I went to the Abingon model railway exhibition today and it was good day out (far too many western layouts for my liking but that's what you get when you live near swindon)

But what spoilt the day for me was an inconsiderate a*** that decided to shove his way in front of me at a stall and then purposely got in the way so I couldn't even squeeze in. I had been politely waiting for someone in front to finish their purchase and leave when he just shot in.

Why do some modellers act like a bunch of teenagers at a Next sale on boxing day? I've heard of kids being pushed out of the way at exhibitions so someone can get that perfect shot of a layout. Is this hobby really so important to some that even the most basic manners go out of the window?
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

Steve Hill

Re: What is it with some modellers?

Postby Steve Hill » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:09 pm

Socialite ladies with trust funds on the first day of the Harvey Nichols sale are much worse!

I was planning to pop down to Abingdon tomorrow. Maybe the a***s will have done their worst by then.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:18 pm

I would have thought so mate It was only on today i'm afraid.
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:20 pm

i'm a 19 stone biker usualy in leathers as i'm a 24/7 365 biker a lot of people say i'm intimidating some people say i have a short fuse wich is pretty wrong realy as i have a non existant fuse ,,, all in all i don't get this problem ( if i did they'd be 2 secs away from being bit*h slapped ) theyd certainly be told the error of thier ways if only to make them feel an idiot in front of everyone

if i'm treated nicely i'm a puppy dog and will do the same but don't take the pi** !!

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:42 pm

one way to get around this kind of obstacle, is to get the attention of the/a stall holder, and from behind 'said article' and shout as annoyingly, loud as you can, 'OI, mate, you're losing trade, cause of this *word censored*' ...remembering to point directly at the 'said article' in question. Was forced to take similar action to this at Brighton Model World last year, it's fairly effective.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:24 pm

TK421 wrote:I went to the Abingon model railway exhibition today and it was good day out (far too many western layouts for my liking but that's what you get when you live near swindon)

But what spoilt the day for me was an inconsiderate a*** that decided to shove his way in front of me at a stall and then purposely got in the way so I couldn't even squeeze in. I had been politely waiting for someone in front to finish their purchase and leave when he just shot in.

Why do some modellers act like a bunch of teenagers at a Next sale on boxing day? I've heard of kids being pushed out of the way at exhibitions so someone can get that perfect shot of a layout. Is this hobby really so important to some that even the most basic manners go out of the window?

The hobby is rife with them unfortuantely. Luckily for us most of them reside on rmweb and not here. :wink:

LittleReggie

Postby LittleReggie » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:36 pm

I don't think this type of behaviour is limited to railway modellers - I've come across it at all sorts of exhibitions/shows etc. Some people are just like that. :roll:

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:49 pm

[quote=
The hobby is rife with them unfortuantely. Luckily for us most of them reside on rmweb and not here. :wink:[/quote]

Never a truer word said, stand up proud and take a bow :) :) :)

Ian

GarrettTheThief

Postby GarrettTheThief » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:11 pm

LittleReggie wrote:I don't think this type of behaviour is limited to railway modellers - I've come across it at all sorts of exhibitions/shows etc. Some people are just like that. :roll:

This is my general take.

As for RMWeb. I've so far had no issues with the place during the month I've been on there. I think any unnecessarily demeaning comments can be tuned out and for most part, there is a lot of inspiration and constructive criticism. However, I can't speak for anyone who has had a genuinely bad experience on that site.
"Thanks for taking that personality test for me."
"I'm not sure you'll find it useful. I answered everything with a joke."
"Oh, it told me a lot. For instance, you're not funny."

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:04 pm

If you read alot of hot topics on rmweb as I do you'll see the pack mentality gear up and attack those who arn't on the chosen list. Seen it happen to alot of users on there.
Wandering back on topic, I do think what LittleReggie says is right, there just seems to be some nasty selfish people out there in all walks of life.

GarrettTheThief

Postby GarrettTheThief » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:17 pm

Reminds me of someone's sig on the cracked.com Pointless Waste of Time forums.

"Is it high a**hole tide already?"
"Thanks for taking that personality test for me."
"I'm not sure you'll find it useful. I answered everything with a joke."
"Oh, it told me a lot. For instance, you're not funny."

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:44 am

not just modellers i'm afraid, i've seen my 11 year old at the time stepdaughter knocked off her feet, and then accused of theft as she had just bought an item some woman wanted, my 3 year old was knocked out of the way on holiday from someone wanting to get in the pool. I am a pretty relaxed chap, but that bloke did not go near the pool again while we were there.
it's a sad act of society, people look out for number one, and to hell with anyone else, no matter how old, young or frail.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:42 am

LittleReggie wrote:I don't think this type of behaviour is limited to railway modellers

Quite!

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:12 am

b308 wrote:
LittleReggie wrote:I don't think this type of behaviour is limited to railway modellers

Quite!

Little old ladies with umbrellas at jumble sales - they could have taken Poland in two days......

Tony
Last edited by Lysander on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:22 am

I've commented elsewhere about the smartly dressed old fella (probably no older than me) at Warley in November, who was running the risk of having his furled umbrella pulled from under his arm and inserted somewhere else. Someone else had encountered him too.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”