Point motors

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
beeman
Location: Within earshot of the sea and the Paignton&Dartmouth

Point motors

Postby beeman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:05 am

Having no knowledge of the old H&M point motors against Peco/Seep can anyone give indication of size, are they much larger physically etc. Appreciated ASAP as considering some on Ebay. Beeman.
You wo'nt find you 'CAN' unless you 'TRY'.

Bufferstop

Re: Point motors

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:34 am

Not much longer but about twice the width and height.
PS Early ones come with a built in switch which allows them to work from a change over switch instead of passing contact. Later ones also had additional c/o switch as well.
Last edited by Bufferstop on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

beeman

Postby beeman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:20 pm

Thanks Bufferstop for your quick reply I believed that they were ok for O gauge but not sure finding no ref re size seems I will be better to stick with the other offerings. Beeman.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:31 pm

They were very useful if you were retro fitting point motors, the crank arm that stuck out from the side had a pin through its pivot, which could be replaced by one long enough to pass through the baseboard with a crank arm on the top, just needed a 2mm(ish) hole drilled alongside the point.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

beeman

Postby beeman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:29 pm

Retro fitting is what I'm doing.made the mistake of thinking that I would not bother to power points being close to layout edge. in this project for Carriage/wagon works, with a total of 10 turnouts. Reckon 'rod for my back' if things go wrong at the layout rear due to reach needed. My baseboards are 22mm flooring, so the long pin needed can cause angular load on actual magnet plunger so most are done with suitable adaptors / extensions due to locations underneath.This will reduce the angular load on the magnet plunger. Pic of current simple design using peco's,and ext., as long as bracket fixed in correct position piano wire pin captive so pivots in hole, no need for bearing or retainer other than good fitting loop in P.wire to fit on point motor pin.The holes in the bracket and point bar retaining. the Peco PM soldered to the tin bracket. Beeman. sorry but cant seem to get the bl**dy pic correct way up ?.
Attachments
pm pic.jpg
pm pic.jpg (30.5 KiB) Viewed 1347 times
Station and MPD area coloured ver-002.jpg
Station and MPD area coloured ver-002.jpg (44.05 KiB) Viewed 1348 times

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”