Foot control for a Dremel ?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
deeftrundle

Foot control for a Dremel ?

Postby deeftrundle » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:59 am

Does anyone know whether there is a foot control for a Dremel ? I haven't spotted one yet.
I don't mean one which will just switch the mains on/off, but which will do that and regulate the speed as well.
Sometimes it is a bit of a pain having to break off an operation just to change the speed.

Bufferstop

Re: Foot control for a Dremel ?

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:48 am

Nice to see that I'm not the only one who "bangs on" about this. The manufacturers seem to have a significant blind spot in that they can't appreciate that there are times when you need to slowly increase the drill speed whilst the only way of securing the work-piece is to hold it in your spare hand. They even design the drills that have a built in speed control so it's where it can't be reached by a spare finger on the hand that's holding the drill. My hammer drill has a pressure sensitive trigger, and my wife's sewing machine has a forward/reverse plus speed foot control. You can buy variable speed transformers for 12volt drills. it only needs the control potentiometer spindle attaching to a gear driven by a foot pedal. Perhaps I should be skip-diving down at the local dump.
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

deeftrundle

Postby deeftrundle » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:33 am

John

Don't quite verstehen all your electro-babble (I am strictly software) but if you say it is possible then I believe you.
This is definitely a gap in the market, which I am surprised some American hasn't yet filled.
Please prove me wrong someone. :idea:

There is also a German beast called a Proxxon which is a heavier Dremel (allegedly).
They do a footswitch but only for their power saws, it seems.

Andy

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:53 pm

The nearest thing I have found is a battery operated Dremel, which has a rotary speed control which is easy to operate one handed, and also starts from a very low speed. Also it holds small drills rather well.

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:18 pm

COMO, drills have a rotary speed control. Not a foot switch, but dead easy to use.
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

deeftrundle

Postby deeftrundle » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:58 pm

BT: Thanks for that. I don't think I want to invest in more drills but ...
Info for others: Como Miniature Drills

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:27 pm

The Como drill is a perfect example of the problem.
Scenario 1
You hold the workpiece in one hand the drill in the other then somehow you have to turn a knob in the toolcase to raise the drillspeed slowly.
Scenario 2
The workpiece is suitable to be held in the vice of a drill stand. You mount the workpiece in the vice. Bring down the drill and centre the drill bit onto the correct spot. Hold the vice steady, hold down the lever - now could someone come and turn the speed control for me.
You may have noticed that little thin drill bits wobble all over the place until they come into contact with the workpiece so starting from stationary in contact with the work and applying minimal pressure you raise the speed and pressure to start drilling. Now would someone enlighten me as to how you perform this operation to drill the hole for the handrail knob above the smokebox door, you certainly cant bring the spinning drill into contact and expect it to drill cleanly.

deeftrundle

Postby deeftrundle » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:46 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Now would someone enlighten me as to how you perform this operation to drill the hole for the handrail knob above the smokebox door, you certainly cant bring the spinning drill into contact and expect it to drill cleanly.

You use a pin vice drill.
I may sound like I know what I am talking about but until "amsie" told me about these recently, I had never heard of them.
They are just little hand held devices and are perfect because a power drill is overkill for small/light/shallow jobs.

Since I got one I have been drilling holes for handrails and lamp irons absolutely precisely, without the dremel.
No slippage, no overdrilling.

Apparently eclipse are the ones to get. Not sure if I bought an eclipse, I got it from Eileen's Emporium. Mine cost about £7.
There are different sizes for different diameter ranges. I got the one covering 0 to 1mm dia, which does for my needs, usually 0.6, 0.7, 0.8mm

If I am teaching Granny to suck eggs here, forgive me.

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:56 pm

Bufferstop wrote: Perhaps I should be skip-diving down at the local dump.

I saw something interesting at our local "recycling centre" I picked it up and walked towards the car. Mr Official approached me and told me to put it back or he would report me for theft. I pointed out that I would be saving the Council money if I removed it but he was adamant.

deeftrundle

Postby deeftrundle » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:02 pm

I thought he retired after those terrible pop singles.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:19 pm

:oops: Perhaps not the best choice of task to illustrate the problem, as I have two of those 3-jaw and collet, but I frequently need to start drilling with the bit in contact but stopped. I don't think my "hold the chuck stalled then slowly relax your grip" is a method that should be encouraged anywhere. :shock:

deeftrundle

Postby deeftrundle » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:34 pm

Fair enough, I have not hit one of those situations yet.
But it just reinforces our original premise that dremel should think about offering a foot control.

Steve Hill

Postby Steve Hill » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:59 pm

I have absolutely no idea whether this would work, or whether there would be enough fine control to make it worthwhile, but you can buy lighting foot dimmer switches for less than £10...

http://www.cordsncables.co.uk/acatalog/ ... tches.html

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Would depend on what sort of power supply it used. A straight forward transformer/rectifier unit might work, don't think it would work with a regulated supply would be controlable. A beefed up version of a transistorised controller would do the job, but you would need to get the overload protection right.

beeman
Location: Within earshot of the sea and the Paignton&Dartmouth

Postby beeman » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:40 pm

I saw something interesting at our local "recycling centre" I picked it up and walked towards the car. Mr Official approached me and told me to put it back or he would report me for theft. I pointed out that I would be saving the Council money if I removed it but he was adamant.

lofty

Make sure you are not watched when you pick it up, afterwards you can always say you've changed your mind if challenged, been there. or if you see someone 'dumping' something that you could do with just ask the disposer 'Can I have that', Couple of aluminium step ladders out my back that only needed minor repair,in the trailer while unobserved. F' em jobsworths.Beeman. Apologies for the sidetrack from topic.
You wo'nt find you 'CAN' unless you 'TRY'.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”