OO People

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
The Flying Kipper

OO People

Postby The Flying Kipper » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:37 pm

Before I go and just pick a bunch off of ebay can anyone recommend an online supplier or even ebay user that has a decent selection of people (in bulk so to speak) that I can populate my railway with?

I don't mind repainting and but a load of those ebay listings seem to be two molds duplicated twenty times and "couples" molded as one mass.

Is there a better way at getting a decent amount of people to populate my platforms?
Then there was trouble...

D306Whistler

Re: OO People

Postby D306Whistler » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:08 pm

Kytes Lights of Bognor Regis do a mega pack of 100 for £20. Ideal for adding to platforms etc ;).
Ash - A Thoroughbred Railway Fan ;).

60008 and D306 are the best Diesels Ever!
http://www.youtube.com/EWS60008

The Flying Kipper

Postby The Flying Kipper » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:27 pm

D306Whistler wrote:Kytes Lights of Bognor Regis do a mega pack of 100 for £20. Ideal for adding to platforms etc ;).

That seems promising :) although not drastically different from the ebay lots.

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:34 pm

whilst cheap they are not the nicest of figures , i'd buy one or two quality figures and build up slowly giving you chance to think about the types of figures you require and placing of them

those cheap chinese figures are ok for dark corners inside buildings and inside coaches etc

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:12 pm

tornado64 wrote: those cheap chinese figures are ok for dark corners inside buildings and inside coaches etc

Quite a few will need a repaint as well as they are often quite garish in their attire

Anyone remember the famous man in pink?
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

The Flying Kipper

Postby The Flying Kipper » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:15 pm

tornado64 wrote:whilst cheap they are not the nicest of figures , i'd buy one or two quality figures and build up slowly giving you chance to think about the types of figures you require and placing of them

those cheap Chinese figures are ok for dark corners inside buildings and inside coaches etc

Can you recommend any sources for these higher quality figures?

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:23 am

Those KL ones look just the same as the ones I got off ebay, it seems to be the done thing for shops and toy fair traders over here to order a load from China and then sell them on over here at a profit. They are doing exactly the same for trees. I'd also add, having bought a load from China direct for my layout, that they are HO scale and not OO scale. I know people come in all different sizes but there is a noticeable difference between those and OO scale figures, unless you don't mind everyone being a little short!

If you can live with the size and don't mind painting them yourself I'd suggest getting the bulk packs of unpainted Preiser people, they are much nicer and more variety. Otherwise stick to manufacturers that make them specifically for OO scale...

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:20 am

Also you will find that the the preiser figures have less flash and take paint better
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:47 am

It's the type of plastic used I believe, Essex...

beeman
Location: Within earshot of the sea and the Paignton&Dartmouth

Postby beeman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:33 am

I agree totally with B308. I've used the China offerings inside many coaches and quite adequate usually needing lower leg amputation. But for where more detail needed I used some of the old Airfix / Dapol figures and also Slaters who produce sets of figures which are ok on detail but believe need painting. Unfortunately they don't appear to do pics of their products on their site, stupid mistake in my view,logic dictates seeing before buying. https://slatersplastikard.com/accessories/huminiatures/4mmHuminiatures.php Bought mine many..... years back. Some of the OO offerings can seem a bit large so HO don't look out of place. Preiser stuff good, but generous pockets needed. Beeman.
[url][http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slaters-4A27-Assorted-Figures-x-24-Seated-Unpainted-00-/380448220753?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item58947b2651[url]

these might help.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slaters-4A26-Assorted-Figures-Sitting-Standing-Kit-00-Gauge-New-Pack-/150799215506?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item231c556b92
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slaters-4A27-Assorted-Figures-x-24-Seated-Unpainted-00-/380448220753?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item58947b2651
You wo'nt find you 'CAN' unless you 'TRY'.

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:58 am

presier , noch do realy nice ho figures , oo has many good figures by airfix , dapol , langley etc etc although most will need painting , bachman do a small selection of figures as do hornby and all come ready painted , airfix etc can also be a good suply of figures as are other millitary modelling supliers again they are 1/76 but a lot of millitary modelling supliers do cameo scenes with civillians to include in dioramas

it is surprising where figures turn up i have quite a nice motorcycle and rider ( 1950's 1960's british style ) that fell out of a christmas cracker !!

Steve Hill

Postby Steve Hill » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:55 pm

I'm happily painting about 100 Dapol figures at the moment. They need a bit of de-flashing but the detail is actually very good.

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:55 pm

If you wanted higher quality figures you can't go wrong with the Preiser or the Noch range as they are much better than the Hornby stuff. Just use a bit of Deluxe Materials "tacky wax" to hold them in place. Yes the larger megapacks are a bit naff compared to these two makers but they are perfect to populate trains, buildings and road vehicles like buses etc where they are less exposed ;). Also it depends on how the platforms on your layout are set (i.e: a road bridge with a station building on the higher level with step access to both platforms). You could use the higher quality figures in the more exposed areas and use the cheapo ones in the covered areas that are more "camouflaged" areas under canopies etc where full view is restricted. That way you can populate the platforms at a good price whilst using the higher quality figures in the more "exposed" areas where they will be seen more ;). In the end its up to you fella as you are one that is paying but if you had posted a photo of your station on the layout here. Maybe I could probably guide you a bit more ;).

Hope this helps.
Ash - A Thoroughbred Railway Fan ;).

60008 and D306 are the best Diesels Ever!
http://www.youtube.com/EWS60008

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:57 pm

watch out for some of them on ebay,there are ads on there for 100 figures,take a close look at the picture because they look like they are chinese or japs !

Steve Hill

Postby Steve Hill » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:35 pm

mjb1961 wrote:watch out for some of them on ebay,there are ads on there for 100 figures,take a close look at the picture because they look like they are chinese or japs !

Not a problem for some modern image layouts. My local station, Bicester North, serves Bicester Village outlet centre which is one of the world's most popular destinations for Japanese tourists!

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”