OO People

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
D306Whistler

Re: OO People

Postby D306Whistler » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:17 pm

mjb1961 wrote:watch out for some of them on ebay,there are ads on there for 100 figures,take a close look at the picture because they look like they are chinese or japs !
You mean Japanese? It is very impolite to use the word "Jap" as it is a derogatory term for a Japanese person and it is a bit similar to how the word "k***t" is used to impolitely address a German.
Ash - A Thoroughbred Railway Fan ;).

60008 and D306 are the best Diesels Ever!
http://www.youtube.com/EWS60008

Tovidious

Postby Tovidious » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:39 pm

Speaking of OO/HO figures, I am building a modular layout to take to shows and will have things all over it from TV shows, movies and musicals. I already have Mary Poppins, (who will be hanging in the air with her umbrella,) Bert the chimney sweep for on top of some terrace houses, HM The Queen, Basil thrashing his Austin, (an A40 Farina will be standing in for the red 1300 Countryman estate,) Austin Powers driving his Union Jack Jaguar, the Vicar of Dibley, Emily Howard as well as Andy and Lou from Little Britain, and lots more. I want to have the platoon from Dad's Army, (I already have the butcher van,) but have no clue where to find WW2 soldiers to modify for the Home Guard. Anyone have any suggestions?

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:00 am

All Aboooooard !!

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:41 am

Airfix did (do?) WW2 soldiers, though they are 1:72 I think...

GeoFF03

Postby GeoFF03 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:00 pm

Now that Hornby own Airfix its rather surprising that they haven't reproduced the old civilian figure and farm animal sets. Several of Hornbys ready painted figures bear a strong resemblance to some from that old set.

beeman
Location: Within earshot of the sea and the Paignton&Dartmouth

Postby beeman » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:54 pm

Much like 'Fashion' things get 're-cycled' intermittently, I suspect Hornby bought the name Airfix. You will find many of the old Airfix products are produced under the Dapol brand, the T/T, Windmill figures etc.in the same way the Airfix N2 tank and Dean Goods has been made successively by Mainline, Dapol and Hornby all by the same production equipment etc, believe owned by the Hong Kong/China manufacturer,ultimately 'Kader' I think, and made to order for whoever wishes to market.The name stamp on the U/S changed to suit. The Airfix Scot and large Prairie I believe succumbing due to 'competition' or does someone know better perhaps. Pity really. Beeman.
You wo'nt find you 'CAN' unless you 'TRY'.

Tovidious

Postby Tovidious » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:30 pm

I will be using the cheap eBay figures to populate coaches on my layout as I agree that they are fine for that. I didn't realise they were Preiser knock offs til I just saw the pics that were posted. Two of the figures are what Preiser uses for Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. lol I found them in an old Preiser wedding pack I got and noticed then that they are the same Preiser is now using for HM the Queen, allbeit from what appears to be the 70s. I used the couple from the wedding pack and updated them to look more current. Her hat is actually a filed down buffer.

As a side note, I believe all the OO figures that Hornby sells are actually HO figures packaged as OO since I have seen most of them selling as HO other places. Bachmann's OO figures are actually OO and here in the States they sell HO versions of the same figures.
Attachments
Preiser Queen.jpg
Preiser Queen.jpg (54.76 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
Queens visit.JPG
Queens visit.JPG (62.08 KiB) Viewed 1348 times

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:43 pm

Tovidious wrote:Speaking of OO/HO figures, I am building a modular layout to take to shows and will have things all over it from TV shows, movies and musicals. I want to have the platoon from Dad's Army, (I already have the butcher van,) but have no clue where to find WW2 soldiers to modify for the Home Guard. Anyone have any suggestions?

Try your local war gaming shop. All kinds of things in there. (Well, ours has!!!)

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Tovidious

Postby Tovidious » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:23 pm

I used Airfix 1:72 WW2 figures and now Dad's Army is in place at the abandoned farm. The first pic shows the whole module before I added the figures. Pike, who is kneeling, even has his scarf around his neck. The figures are not in the correct uniforms for the Home Guard, but I do think think they look the part. After the Great British Train Show near Toronto this coming weekend I should have some clearer pics of them.
Attachments
2014.04.04.a.jpg
2014.04.04.a.jpg (98.38 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
2014.04.15.a.jpg
2014.04.15.a.jpg (102.3 KiB) Viewed 1284 times

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:44 am

They look really good - where did you get Jones' van from?

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:56 am

skyblue wrote:They look really good - where did you get Jones' van from?

I hadn't spotted that bit, even better! Does it have functioning "portholes" for them to stick their rifles out?
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

GeoFF03

Postby GeoFF03 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:11 pm

They look really good - where did you get Jones' van from?

The van looks to be one that Lledo produced some years ago as part of their "Days Gone" range. I've also got one from when I was collecting their die-casts. It's not the exact model used in the Dads Army series and film (that was a Ford while the model is a Morris), but it looks the part.

garth45

Postby garth45 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:29 pm

Following on really from my thread about railway figures.

From my research it looks like that there is a lack of decent quality railway figures unless you opt for HO Scale figures.

Having a wargaming background which if being honest is my main hobby, I have contacted the boss of one of my wargaming companies ( Plastic Soldier Company ) who are a large producer of wargaming plastic soldiers and vehicles in 15 ( TT? ) and 20mm scale.

He admitted he can see an opportunity here as competition is sparse for producing model rail figures , so we'll have to wait and see.

Tovidious

Postby Tovidious » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:05 pm

The van is, indeed, from the Days Gone series, and is not a Ford. It is also overscale, which is why, after weathering and detailing it, I placed it behind bushes. Oh, and it doesn't have working portholes, either. lol

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”