why the big deal about keeping boxes ??

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Adi.p

Re: why the big deal about keeping boxes ??

Postby Adi.p » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:27 pm

D306Whistler wrote: I would recommend using some bubblewrap to ensure they don't move about. I have a old Nike trainer box that I keep some unboxed items in which are wrapped in bubblewrap to stop them rubbing each other up the wrong way! (alas rubbing paint off) :lol:.

I will have a look around and see. I've got a few old wagons in a shoe box awaiting reprinting and weathering.
Lol :lol:
The young railway enthusiast, an endangered species

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:34 pm

Just a thought (and if there is enough space), how about cutting some strips of cardboard to stick in between the wagons to separate them and then place a sheet of cardboard on top to make another "floor" as then that would prevent them from scratches and stuff ;).
Ash - A Thoroughbred Railway Fan ;).

60008 and D306 are the best Diesels Ever!
http://www.youtube.com/EWS60008

Adi.p

Postby Adi.p » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:42 pm

A cheaper, easier, lighter version of my first idea. Brilliant! Thanks
The young railway enthusiast, an endangered species

PanzerJohn

Postby PanzerJohn » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:02 pm

If anyones is going to chuck out Hornby Merchant Navy,9f/eve star,unrebuilt W Country,City/Duchess/Britannia please chuck them my way! ta :D

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:17 pm

Adi.p wrote:A cheaper, easier, lighter version of my first idea. Brilliant! Thanks
No problem fella! :). I'm glad I could help mate.
PanzerJohn wrote:If anyones is going to chuck out Hornby Merchant Navy,9f/eve star,unrebuilt W Country,City/Duchess/Britannia please chuck them my way! ta :D
I won't make any promises but I will see if Railworld have any surplus boxes but a little donation to them would be appreciated in return :).

PanzerJohn

Postby PanzerJohn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:44 am

That would be great, thanks. :D

whufcfan

Postby whufcfan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 am

Bachmann class 20 loco box please if anyone is chucking one out.

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:54 pm

Have used card between each coach when packed in a briefacse. The coaches didn't have boxs to start with so a little bit of protection whilst in transit stops unnecessary damage like scuffing and scratching of the paintwork.

Ian

markh

Postby markh » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:47 pm

i keep all my boxes for locos but i have all of my 00 gauge locos shoved in 2 boxes as it can be annoying having to take them all out to run as for my growing N gauge collection i bought to parkwood carry cases from a model shop for tenner each & i only use one at this moment & thats almost full

as for the boxes i got them in there on the loft in a coner with some corgis ( models not the dogs)

mark
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:05 pm

I'm with John (Bufferstop) on this, I wouldn't use the boxes some of my stock came in as transport to and from exhibitions. I can see them getting far too damaged getting them in and out. I use home made stock boxes which hold the stock far safer than any cardboard box would... The other thing is that they take up about three times the space in their original box as in the storage boxes... I do however keep the boxes for when i on-sell the stock, at least for the stock I have which is RTR and not kit built! For some reason a box always seems to help sell it, though for a "used" (i.e. run) loco I can't see why it should!

ASFC

Postby ASFC » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:00 pm

b308 wrote:I do however keep the boxes for when i on-sell the stock, at least for the stock I have which is RTR and not kit built! For some reason a box always seems to help sell it, though for a "used" (i.e. run) loco I can't see why it should!

It depends. I know with stock bought online secondhand (i.e ebay) that if the stock made it all the way from china in one piece in its orignal box, then it will probably make the trip ini the post in one piece.

Other than that I agree. My stock lives on customised stock boxes rather than their originals.
My New N gauge layout thread 'Chinley': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41038

My Old N gauge layout thread 'Ollerton': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32899

Boxcar Willie

Postby Boxcar Willie » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:39 pm

I always keep the boxes that stuff comes in but for transport I have a couple of old wooden wine boxes of the type that holds two bottles and which have a sliding lid. I make little spaces for stock by cutting and glueing lumps of foam in; it looks a bit Heath-Robinson but it does the job.

I agree that if you keep the box it will add to the value of an item later.

Forfarian

Postby Forfarian » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:51 pm

I still have all my boxes<but they are all packed away in big plastic boxes. I keep my locos and stock in box files with small bubble wrap dividers and silica jel bags
Tim
aka Forfarian

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:41 pm

Funny this discussion should be going on - i had exactly the same thoughts. I'm TOO GUILTY of hoarding (ring a bell) and a lot of the stuff barely gets run, just stored in its box. So, the other weekend, i took out every item and put them onto shelves above the layout and the boxes into the attic.

One thing about boxes is that whilst is certainly helps the resale value (which IMHO only matters if you sell your collection and it not your relatives when you shuffle off), they also add greatly to the 'pinchability' of your stock for thieves. I recognize that many people wish to keep the boxes for protection and fair enough, but if you do this, PROPERTY MARK them with something indelible and if you can, don't keep the boxes and stock together.

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:46 pm

I keep my boxes in the cellar in plastic storage cases and I mark all of my higher value models with a streak of smartwater to deter theft ;).

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”