why the big deal about keeping boxes ??

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
tornado64

why the big deal about keeping boxes ??

Postby tornado64 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:18 pm

the way i see it boxes take up way too much room and are far too big a fire risk to my collection and home to keep stored there for the percieved future value

the first thing i do with any new arrival is ditch the box apart from one or two favourites !!

boxes going in the bin today include bachman digital passenger set , bachmann 08 , hornby mixed goods dcc set , hornby austerity 0-6-0 , 2x lima express parcels vans and lima class 37

with the biggest percentage keeping collections till they die and relatives not realy that intrested regarding prices( probably lied to regarding what was paid anyway !! ) most collections end up as ebay sales sometimes individualy sometimes as lots often baught by traders well under value box space to me equals storage space for other things aswell as extra model railway stuff

Lysander

Re: why the big deal about keeping boxes ??

Postby Lysander » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:35 pm

Why keep boxes ? In the main because they guarantee safe storage when not in use. I'd much rather find the space than damage a £100 loco or an irreplaceable coach.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:10 pm

I keep the boxes as they keep the model safe when not in use and I simply do not have the space to store all of them on the layout. Also they are handy for ferrying the model to club meets and exhibition. I don't keep them for the sake of preserving its value (hell don't me started on not running them and all that lark :roll:) as the models are designed and are meant to be run on a track.

I disagree with the boxes being a fire hazard. Unless one is daft enough to leave a lit cigarette near them and goes off to do something else. Most of my boxes are stored in plastic storage boxes anyway so they have more protection from ignition :). Also I do not smoke so the chances here are even more reduced. All in all, there is other meanings for me retaining the box rather than to keep the models original value which is not the case for me. Especially when I add all the detail parts and all that to my locomotives and stock that would make a collector go nuts! :lol: ;).

In my opinion, a locomotive with a motor is meant to be run, not to be stored and gawped at :lol:.

Peace.
Ash - A Thoroughbred Railway Fan ;).

60008 and D306 are the best Diesels Ever!
http://www.youtube.com/EWS60008

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:12 pm

Storing boxes is a bind, I apply to my stock the same principal as we do for domestic appliances etc. We make a special case for anything with on-site cover, (the box is ditched asap) otherwise we keep the box for whatever period of warranty the manufacturer offers. (usually 1 year) After that the boxes go. What we do about things failing outside of manufacturers warranty we decide case by case. Experience over the last twenty odd years has been that if it survives the first year it will carry on until it's close to its expected life anyway.

As for keeping the stock in boxes the manufacturers packing is designed to get it to you undamaged, but this often means that the packaging has to be removed carefully, replaced carefully if it's going back in the box, and frequently requires modifying to accommodate extra detail. I prefer to store :- on the layout, in an adapted set of storage draws, in a multi item stock box, in my display cabinet. In that order of preference. The order might be a bit different if my layout didn't live in a heated inner room in the house but I only see boxes as a source of wear and tear both to themselves and the stock. If it had to be out in an outhouse, garage or shed I think my first choice would be some kind of storage chest which could be carried indoors with all of the stock inside. Maybe requiring more than one but each holding enough for an interesting operating session. I'm not interested in the value of my stock on the "collectors" market, only its usefulness or sentimental value to me. If I do offer to sell something to another modeller it is on the basis that it has been used, and any modifications or repairs will be detailed. Secure packaging is not difficult to produce, and anything it costs is undoubtedly less that the hidden costs of storing all those b******* boxes.
John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:16 pm

I'm in the middle of moving house, 3/4 of my collection has boxes. They have been so easy to put away and box without any worry of damage. Also stuff I no longer want fetches so much more money when I sell it. They dont even have to be in particularly good condition. Boxes all the way I say!

Rabspat

Postby Rabspat » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:26 pm

I don't keep the card board part but depending on what it comes in i try to keep the inner part either the polystyrene or the famous ice cube just to keep safe when not in use. As i don't have that much room keeping all boxes is just pointless, it's rare that i sell on much as i tend to keep most of my models. Thats why when i buy 2nd off here or flebay i don't normally care about the boxes as long as they run thats all that matters to me.
SIMON
IN PROGRESS
"Daunton" oo gauge end to end Branchline, using DMU's and EMU's in different eras and regions. But general theme would be Kent area with some stations with the SR era colour. Be Starting Board 1 this week I at a time.

Jonny

Postby Jonny » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:03 pm

Bachmann and Heljan locos stay in their boxes, but with a couple of exceptions Hornby locos go in large flat boxes lined with foam. It keeps them safe as long as we're careful when moving them around.

Tovidious

Postby Tovidious » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:07 pm

For those who don't keep boxes, (and I know that getting top dollar when they are sold is not important,) you might consider selling the empty boxes on eBay. You would be surprised at how much good empty boxes sell for, not to mention that there are folks out there desparately looking for boxes because previous owners of their models, like yourselves, have discarded them. So, because of people who have discarded boxes previously, people who discard boxes now can actually make money off the boxes they are discarding as well as helping out other modelers at the same time. Sounds like a win win situation to me.

Now, if one doesn't need any extra money, or really couldn't care less about other modelers, throw away to your hearts content. :) After all, those unboxed models you have will ultimately make your models available cheaper to future modelers, so in the end you will be helping out other modelers even if you don't know it. lol

(I'm one of those modelers who is quite content to buy unboxed models since I know I will pay considerably less for them, and that matters to me since I'm not rolling in money.)

ollieollieollie

Postby ollieollieollie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:05 pm

I buy boxes for stock that I have that comes un-boxed. Can't keep everything out & boxes are the best way of storing them. Makes a hell of a difference to price when selling stuff on too. I've seen boxes go for the price of a second hand loco on ebay.

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:27 pm

Keep all my empty boxes stored in blue mushroom trays in the loft. When I have had to move my stock its nice to be able to pack them secure back into their respective boxes and know that they will travel safe and secure. Having moved at least twice it doesn't take much time to unpack them again, maybe a bother to store them again but they will remain untill I sell them, and then they go with their boxes to their new owner. I have collect many empty boes from fellow modellers who like others on here just throw their boxes away.
I am at present looking for Lima MK1 coach boxes as I am short of quite a few. Any offers of any going free I'm will willing pay the postal charges

Ian

Steve Hill

Postby Steve Hill » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:30 pm

I chuck boxes away. I don't model for exhibitions, but for a fixed layout at home. However, smoe boxes are such a tight fit I reckon they do more harm than good, especially from the point of view of knocking bits off... which is presumably why detail parts on new locos are often not factory-fitted.

Stuff not on the layout goes into two display cases (£110 the pair at Lidl) like these -

Adi.p

Postby Adi.p » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:55 pm

If you keep the boxes they only add 10-20 pounds and after a happy lifetime of running and providing satisfaction it does not really scale up. I've only got four locos so I kept the boxes in the bottom of my wardrobe just as a place to put them if there is one day not enough room on the layout for them at one time. As for keeping them on display and never using them, what's the point. They look terrible in their packaging and there's no point opening them and decreasing their value for them to sit in a glass cabinet. At least build a layout to put them on. Once you have a go at running them you might start to enjoy it.
The young railway enthusiast, an endangered species

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:08 pm

I've modified the styrene tray on some of my boxes to make the locomotives with the extra gubbins fit ;). You only need a steady hand and a sharp scalpel to do the job. Of course if you are one of those modellers that keeps the models at home for personal use then why not just flog the original box and make a few bob? As then you can use the money to buy additional stock or things for the layout ;). Unfortunately I cannot do this because like I have said, I cart my models about to shows and club meets, otherwise I would do so without hesitation.

Adi.p

Postby Adi.p » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:13 pm

D306Whistler wrote:I've modified the styrene tray on some of my boxes to make the locomotives with the extra gubbins fit ;). You only need a steady hand and a sharp scalpel to do the job.

Nice Idea. I might make that or obtain some kind of container. Maybe shelves with long slots that you slide your stock in. Dust free and safe. Worth thinking about. Probably get Dad to help with the latter though!
The young railway enthusiast, an endangered species

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:22 pm

Another option is the Warley MRC issued stockboxes as they have adjustable slots but I would recommend using some bubblewrap to ensure they don't move about. I have a old Nike trainer box that I keep some unboxed items in which are wrapped in bubblewrap to stop them rubbing each other up the wrong way! (alas rubbing paint off) :lol:.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”