bachmann 08

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Shaun Wilson

Re: bachmann 08

Postby Shaun Wilson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:50 pm

How many other Bachmann 08's have you bought that the hand rails broke on.

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:52 pm

Bigmet wrote:
tornado64 wrote:...why on earth should he if I was content to buy?...

Yeah, you sound so deeply contented. Paid too much for a known to be damaged and poor running item. Whining now...

you just don't get it money isn't an issue for me if i liked it and it was good from new i'd have paid ten fold without blinking as i want a decent one for a particular use , why swap it when i know another will have the same issues

the running is improving which would to me indicate overspray on the wheels , so with production methods would apply to every one

where the handrails enter the body , i struggle to streach plastic sprue that fine for modelling ariels ( yes it realy is that fine )

thing is would you buy a car if the salesman told you "carefull where you toutch the door handle it may break !!"

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:55 pm

Shaun Wilson wrote:How many other Bachmann 08's have you bought that the hand rails broke on.

none i have a dcc hornby one wich granted isn't as detailed but i'll guarantee what is there will be there in 30 yrs time !!

Shaun Wilson

Postby Shaun Wilson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Then how do you know there all like that.

To say that there not robust is stupid, do you even know what caused the broken handrails in the first place, for all you know it could have been thrown off a cliff before you got it and if that's what it takes to break them then I don't think anybody else will have an issue buying 1 .

ASFC

Postby ASFC » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:10 pm

By rights, if it was broken, and he was a reputable shop, he should have sent it back to Bachmann rather than try to sell it to the public. As far as I am concerned if it is broken then it his issue with Bachmann, by agreeng to buy it, it has become your issue!

For the record, I work at my local model shop. We have sold both companies 08's over the years. Never had a single one returned with problems.
My New N gauge layout thread 'Chinley': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41038

My Old N gauge layout thread 'Ollerton': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32899

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:10 pm

Shaun Wilson wrote:Then how do you know there all like that.

To say that there not robust is stupid, do you even know what caused the broken handrails in the first place, for all you know it could have been thrown off a cliff before you got it and if that's what it takes to break them then I don't think anybody else will have an issue buying 1 .

not just me though is it ???

http://youtu.be/8CY2-fnVr78

Shaun Wilson

Postby Shaun Wilson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:18 pm

You and 2 others, im impressed. :roll: a couple more and you can start yourself a petition.

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:19 pm

Hmmm.. Mines all good :lol:

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:23 pm

Shaun Wilson wrote:You and 2 others, im impressed. :roll: a couple more and you can start yourself a petition.

another member on this forum also had help because of poor running , it is solved by altering the pickups ( not something the average purchaser would have the abillity to do !!!

is this good R and D and manufacturing quality control or poor ???? discuss !!

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:26 pm

problem is you could sell a tramps turd nowadays if it had the correct detail and smell

Shaun Wilson

Postby Shaun Wilson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:35 pm

I could spend an hour trolling through every model rail forum on the net and find issues with every single loco on the market. Will that make them any inferior.

You have no argument, you clearly bought a loco with damaged parts that you have no idea of how they got broken then claim the manufacturer is producing a poor quality item.

At the end of the day, if you feel that badly about them then you will know never to purchase 1 again but you will find you will be part of a small minority that wouldn't.

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:46 pm

Shaun Wilson wrote:I could spend an hour trolling through every model rail forum on the net and find issues with every single loco on the market. Will that make them any inferior.

You have no argument, you clearly bought a loco with damaged parts that you have no idea of how they got broken then claim the manufacturer is producing a poor quality item.

At the end of the day, if you feel that badly about them then you will know never to purchase 1 again but you will find you will be part of a small minority that wouldn't.

FFS i know that !! that is why i baught it already broken and with a discount as it is a known problem that will eventualy happen ( so why buy one you know will break if you look at it even slightly wrong ?? )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Class-08-800-Shunter-OO-Gauge-InterCity-Livery-Unboxed-/261161715639?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3cce7387b7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-103-Class-08-shunter-in-EWS-livery-/111006148869?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item19d87b6905

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-OO-Gauge-Class-08-0-6-0-Diesel-Shunter-/251220191264?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3a7de3e820

DntStpMeNw

Postby DntStpMeNw » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:50 pm

I bought a 2nd hand EWS version off eBay, had a chip hard wired in and it runs as smooth as anything. Can't say I understand the flimsy handrail comment either. Yes I am personally very aware of where I put my hands on locos but my missus will randomly come along, pick something up off my workbench, give it the once over and go "oh aye that looks nice" with no thought as to where to place her fingers.

Personally if I were you I'd put it down to a bad experience, if it were new that is. I went through 2 Hornby Legend Mallards, both with the same issue before saying feck it and getting the super detailed version which somehow fixed the issue. Have also had 1 or 2 issues with other brand new Hornby locos, however it doesn't mean I start questioning whether or not to buy from them again.

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:57 pm

DntStpMeNw wrote:I bought a 2nd hand EWS version off eBay, had a chip hard wired in and it runs as smooth as anything. Can't say I understand the flimsy handrail comment either. Yes I am personally very aware of where I put my hands on locos but my missus will randomly come along, pick something up off my workbench, give it the once over and go "oh aye that looks nice" with no thought as to where to place her fingers.

Personally if I were you I'd put it down to a bad experience, if it were new that is. I went through 2 Hornby Legend Mallards, both with the same issue before saying feck it and getting the super detailed version which somehow fixed the issue. Have also had 1 or 2 issues with other brand new Hornby locos, however it doesn't mean I start questioning whether or not to buy from them again.

where does the bad experience come into it ??? i baught it a lot cheaper than it should have been ( actualy a realistic price if it had been mint !! )) but that is the whole point eventualy all owners will have to repair one handrail or another ( but they will have paid the full whack !! )

DntStpMeNw

Postby DntStpMeNw » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:19 pm

tornado64 wrote:where does the bad experience come into it ??? i baught it a lot cheaper than it should have been ( actualy a realistic price if it had been mint !! )) but that is the whole point eventualy all owners will have to repair one handrail or another ( but they will have paid the full whack !! )

I'm not going to argue with you over price, as has been said on this forum many a time it's worth different values to different people. Your second point of eventually all owners will have to replace parts (in this case handrails), that's a potential issue every loco may end up having, be it missing steps, the infamous Hornby Class 60 air horns, buffer beam detailing etc. I'd be more than happy to replace handrails at some point in the future as opposed to say a mechanism or chassis but thankfully, my now 8 year old Bachmann 08's handrails are straight as a die and I am sure there are others out there who are more than satisfied and have not had issues just as there are people out there who have unfortunately had difficulties or issues with theirs.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”