bachmann 08

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
User avatar
thebritfarmer
Posts: 1490
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:46 pm
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Contact:

Re: bachmann 08

Postby thebritfarmer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:29 pm

tornado64 wrote:
Shaun Wilson wrote:I could spend an hour trolling through every model rail forum on the net and find issues with every single loco on the market. Will that make them any inferior.

You have no argument, you clearly bought a loco with damaged parts that you have no idea of how they got broken then claim the manufacturer is producing a poor quality item.

At the end of the day, if you feel that badly about them then you will know never to purchase 1 again but you will find you will be part of a small minority that wouldn't.



FFS i know that !! that is why i baught it already broken and with a discount as it is a known problem that will eventualy happen ( so why buy one you know will break if you look at it even slightly wrong ?? )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Class-08-800-Shunter-OO-Gauge-InterCity-Livery-Unboxed-/261161715639?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3cce7387b7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-103-Class-08-shunter-in-EWS-livery-/111006148869?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item19d87b6905

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-OO-Gauge-Class-08-0-6-0-Diesel-Shunter-/251220191264?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3a7de3e820


Can't really use them as an arguement though. They are old locos in old packaging (1 not even boxed), who knows what happened to them. You can't expect them to be rough handled!! They are models and deserve care and respect. It would be like letting your daughter play with Royal Doulton figurines.
All Aboooooard !!

User avatar
tornado64
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:34 pm
Location: north west uk

Re: bachmann 08

Postby tornado64 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:35 pm

thebritfarmer wrote:
tornado64 wrote:
Shaun Wilson wrote:I could spend an hour trolling through every model rail forum on the net and find issues with every single loco on the market. Will that make them any inferior.

You have no argument, you clearly bought a loco with damaged parts that you have no idea of how they got broken then claim the manufacturer is producing a poor quality item.

At the end of the day, if you feel that badly about them then you will know never to purchase 1 again but you will find you will be part of a small minority that wouldn't.



FFS i know that !! that is why i baught it already broken and with a discount as it is a known problem that will eventualy happen ( so why buy one you know will break if you look at it even slightly wrong ?? )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Class-08-800-Shunter-OO-Gauge-InterCity-Livery-Unboxed-/261161715639?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3cce7387b7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-103-Class-08-shunter-in-EWS-livery-/111006148869?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item19d87b6905

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-OO-Gauge-Class-08-0-6-0-Diesel-Shunter-/251220191264?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3a7de3e820


. It would be like letting your daughter play with Royal Doulton figurines.


and you have got it at last !! a large percentage will be baught for kids as they are in that price band then theres the older modelling set with larger fingers and some even with parkinsons etc

User avatar
Shaun Wilson
Posts: 409
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:57 pm
Location: Banff , Aberdeenshire

Re: bachmann 08

Postby Shaun Wilson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:38 pm

That applies to every fine detailed loco not just the Bachmann 08.

User avatar
thebritfarmer
Posts: 1490
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:46 pm
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Contact:

Re: bachmann 08

Postby thebritfarmer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:41 pm

I wouldn't let a kid play with that type of model though, they would get the Railroad Range. If you give it to a kid it's going to break, the manufacturer cannot be held accountable for that.
All Aboooooard !!

User avatar
Blue_2
Posts: 431
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:57 pm
Location: Next to a runway, somewhere in Yorkshire.

Re: bachmann 08

Postby Blue_2 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:00 pm

well this thread has brightened a damp winter's evening! if you buy a known damaged poor running model what do you expect?
I'll stick with my Hornby 08 sourced through the classifieds on this here forum thanks :)
Weekend toy, Victor XL231's blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/ Admittedly not a train, but classic, British and LOUD!
My OO work in progress: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36766

User avatar
tornado64
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:34 pm
Location: north west uk

Re: bachmann 08

Postby tornado64 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:05 pm

Shaun Wilson wrote:That applies to every fine detailed loco not just the Bachmann 08.


but that is the point i'm trying to get accross built decently with thaught those parts would be metal ( at least you have a chance of straightening them ( slight bends can be prototypical ) snapped and broken off isn't

it seems as if good quality has taken a back seat to accountants delivering cheaply ( well in thier pockets ) to detail freaks

User avatar
ASFC
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:47 pm

Re: bachmann 08

Postby ASFC » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:28 pm

Isn't this an amusing thread for a cold winters evening!

I'd rather pay full whack for a loco, have it in new condition undamaged, than buy a damaged loco on the premise that I might damage it one day and have to repair so why not start out with a damaged one.

The build quality of Bachmann stuff is very good, even in N gauge, where we have much finer detail to deal with.
My New N gauge layout thread 'Chinley': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41038

My Old N gauge layout thread 'Ollerton': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32899

User avatar
Peterm
Posts: 1612
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:26 pm
Location: Bribie Island. Australia

Re: bachmann 08

Postby Peterm » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:06 pm

Yep, it is an amusing thread. Cut your losses and use a bit of common sense next time you buy something. You've had that many people telling you that in not so many words that you really should have got the message by now. I've had the Bachmann 08 for a long time now. It's one of those early ones that had the pick ups bearing on the tyres. I changed them for phosphor bronze strips that bear on the backs of the flanges and hey presto, a superb runner. I haven't broken off, or bent any detail parts and I've had it so long that I really can't remember how old it is. I've recently fitted a sound decoder, speaker and stay alive unit in it and still no damage. To be fair, it hasn't been kicked down a flight of stairs.
BTW, I can swear like a trooper, but there's no need for bad language on here.
Pete.

User avatar
tornado64
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:34 pm
Location: north west uk

Re: bachmann 08

Postby tornado64 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:09 am

Peterm wrote:I've had the Bachmann 08 for a long time now. It's one of those early ones that had the pick ups bearing on the tyres. I changed them for phosphor bronze strips that bear on the backs of the flanges and hey presto, a superb runner. .


thank you for agreeing with me !!! or don't you comprehend the fact you have had to replace all the pickups and redesign may well indicate research and development is very lacking ??? if it was good it would have been designed like that in the first place !!

User avatar
tornado64
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:34 pm
Location: north west uk

Re: bachmann 08

Postby tornado64 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:16 am

Peterm wrote:Yep, it is an amusing thread. Cut your losses and use a bit of common sense next time you buy something. .


is it not getting through atall !! i have said i'm happy with it at the price i paid for a project , what i am talking is an observation of poor R and D and factory methods for new items

User avatar
ASFC
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:47 pm

Re: bachmann 08

Postby ASFC » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:17 pm

tornado64 wrote:
is it not getting through atall !! i have said i'm happy with it at the price i paid for a project , what i am talking is an observation of poor R and D and factory methods for new items


How is it an observation of that? For all you know the delivery man that brought it to the shop dropped it on the floor and then threw it into the back of his van (I've experienced/heard of worse happening!).

And before you say it no, I would not expect Bachmann to design a model to withstand that kind of abuse, as it is not IMV a reasonable way to use a model loco.
My New N gauge layout thread 'Chinley': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41038

My Old N gauge layout thread 'Ollerton': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32899

User avatar
Peterm
Posts: 1612
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:26 pm
Location: Bribie Island. Australia

Re: bachmann 08

Postby Peterm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 pm

Peterm wrote:Yep, it is an amusing thread. Cut your losses and use a bit of common sense next time you buy something. You've had that many people telling you that in not so many words that you really should have got the message by now. I've had the Bachmann 08 for a long time now. It's one of those early ones that had the pick ups bearing on the tyres. I changed them for phosphor bronze strips that bear on the backs of the flanges and hey presto, a superb runner. I haven't broken off, or bent any detail parts and I've had it so long that I really can't remember how old it is. I've recently fitted a sound decoder, speaker and stay alive unit in it and still no damage. To be fair, it hasn't been kicked down a flight of stairs.
BTW, I can swear like a trooper, but there's no need for bad language on here.

Did you see that sentence ? The point I was trying to make was what other people have been saying about buying a damaged item and then blaming the manufacturer. Bachmann changed that design of pick up and the 08 has been a good quality model ever since. If you went to a cheap secondhand car yard and bought a car with 400,000 miles on the clock and a dent in every panel , would you complain about the manufacturer when it let you down ?
Pete.

User avatar
Shaun Wilson
Posts: 409
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:57 pm
Location: Banff , Aberdeenshire

Re: bachmann 08

Postby Shaun Wilson » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:19 pm

ASFC wrote:How is it an observation of that? For all you know the delivery man that brought it to the shop dropped it on the floor and then threw it into the back of his van (I've experienced/heard of worse happening!).

And before you say it no, I would not expect Bachmann to design a model to withstand that kind of abuse, as it is not IMV a reasonable way to use a model loco.


My thoughts exactly.

Dad-1
Posts: 6354
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: Dorset - A mile from West Bay.

Re: bachmann 08

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:09 pm

If you want to find other models with possible built in defects just read the Hornby Railroad Black 5 thread !!
Most of those who bought have used their inginuity to sort the problem and passed advice on in NRM.

While I think it fair game to explain what you may see as maunfacturing shortcomings or defects, to say Bachmann products are
no good is complete rubbish. I've had a Bachmann 08, bought in 2008 and it was not DCC ready so had to be taken apart and
hard wired. It's also had considerable use and handling since then and nothing has broken, It has loads of handling as I insist on
very clean wheels, it has been & still is a very good runner.

How tough are plastic parts ? I can tell you that some piping on the Dapol/Hornby 14XX is plastic and pushed home into a socket.
These have to be un-plugged to hard wire in decoders and even occasionally get dislodged when wheel cleaning and no breakage
yet. I think YOU made the mistake in trying to get a BARGAIN and it's backfired - Tough live with it !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

User avatar
tornado64
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:34 pm
Location: north west uk

Re: bachmann 08

Postby tornado64 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:58 pm

Dad-1 wrote: I think YOU made the mistake in trying to get a BARGAIN and it's backfired - Tough live with it !!

Geoff T.


i'll spell it out for those with learning difficulties !! I A.M H.A.P.P.Y W.I.T.H T.H.E D.E.A.L I G.O.T O.F.F M.Y L.O.C.A.L T.R.A.D.E.R !!!

as i can repair the faults the trader confirmed most of the weathered ones do have problems with running at first because of the weathering paint on the wheels but to me it is a thing that should be remmedied at the factory not left to the purchaser or shop owner


Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests